Western Digital Investing $51 Million in SSD Company Skyera

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about frigging time WD gets their tail in gear with SSD tech. How much longer were they willing to wait? They've already lost many customers loyal to the brand by not providing competitive WD alternatives to the SSD out. They released a half-arsed effort line of SSDs that priced themselves out of the ballpark a few years back. Hopefully this means they're really in the game this time. I really hope this partnership works out.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
QUOTE: "[WD] wants to make sure it has a nice solid entry into the SSD market"
umm... WD is already in the SSD market - their current SSD lineup is called silicon drive. (in fact WD SSDs have been around for a while, i bought a 256GB WD silicon edge blue SSD in early 2011)
their entry into the SSD market already happened, it just went unnoticed.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Well, I cant help but to expect amazing developments coming out of this.
Every time WD is behind new tech, something amazing happens to the storage industry, just like the the parallel interface was back in the day. I like how this guys take the a similar path to IBM's research branch: all out on new techs.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Branden[/nom]QUOTE: "[WD] wants to make sure it has a nice solid entry into the SSD market"umm... WD is already in the SSD market - their current SSD lineup is called silicon drive. (in fact WD SSDs have been around for a while, i bought a 256GB WD silicon edge blue SSD in early 2011)their entry into the SSD market already happened, it just went unnoticed.[/citation]

I got that drive too! It was a shellshocker on Newegg for $200 (at the time 256GB drives were $400-$500) and I grabbed a pair before it sold out minutes after it went up.

It's actually a pretty solid drive. I haven't tested speeds, but I have yet to encounter an issue with either.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
51 million for something that will be standard in all computers produced (+300 million PCs a year)+ a hot upgrade item is too small of an investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS