Western Digital Ordered to Pay $525 Million To Seagate

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No one wants to steal Seagate's secrets anymore because their drives are shit

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Wait so that explains why I can't ever find the Hitachi terabyte I need for a raid 1.
Huh, well I do feel kinda stupid cause I read about this previously I just never bothered to think about it.
Upside though Hitachi going 4 years strong, so reliability of Hitachi with epicness of a Western Digital?

turboedge

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Great, by the time the Hitachi 1tb per platter drives are affordable, WDC will have eliminated them from the product line.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I am a WD fanboy, but having friends with Seagate drives they work fine too if you get a top end one. Its called competition, if either of them got crappy the other would start trampling them.

This is just another example of broken patents / copyright leading to lawyer trolling rather than innovation, like half the other news stories in the tech world.

G

@Zanny

great reading between the lines there, want to point to me again where it says seagate sued WD over patent infringement, this is misappropriation of trade secrets, it's the same class of crime as corporate/industrial espionage, remind me again how that relates to patents.....

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
From someone that has done computer support for more than 2 decades on desktop, servers and mainly laptops I can say without a doubt I would take and recommend a Seagate over a WD any day of the week. Especially when it comes to laptops.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]screw wd ! leave the hitachi alone[/citation]

Not sure if trolling or just retarded.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Skippy27[/nom]From someone that has done computer support for more than 2 decades on desktop, servers and mainly laptops I can say without a doubt I would take and recommend a Seagate over a WD any day of the week. Especially when it comes to laptops.[/citation]It's the "2 decades" part that probably instills that opinion in you. Seagate USED to be the top dog. Their quality has gone downhill in my experience. WD Scorpio Black for laptops IMO; without a second thought.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]It's the "2 decades" part that probably instills that opinion in you. Seagate USED to be the top dog. Their quality has gone downhill in my experience. WD Scorpio Black for laptops IMO; without a second thought.[/citation]

I can second this. I have a laptop that is 2 years old and went through 2 Seagate Hard Drives, one regular and one performance (7200rpm), and they both died within 6 months. I bought a WD last year and have had no problems as of yet. I also have a WD from my desktop that has lasted 6 years. That desktop also has a Hitachi external drive which is going strong on 3 years, and a Seagate which has been replaced by other Seagate drives 3 times in the last 5 years. However, I still have two Seagate drives from my original Mac Pro G4, 9 years old, and while they have not been under heavy use like the others, the drive is still running strong. Clearly in the past Seagate made good drives, but obviously Seagate needs better quality control today. One consumer should not have to go through 5 drives in 5 years while other brand drives last considerably longer. However this article is on trade secrets, and if WD is guilty, then they deserve to pay the fines. Being a fan one way or another should not influence a court decision like this.

P.S. I have also owned 2 Maxtors, one died the other is still kicking after 7 years, I tend to keep my hard drives until they break. My primary desktop has 4 internal 1 external (varying sizes from 40GB for a system backup to 1TB for my music and videos) and my laptop has 1 internal and 2 externals since they are all around 250GB, which is not enough for me on the go. I have a small collection going, and Seagate recently has dropped the ball on quality control. I do plenty of video editing so my drives do get a lot of heavy use and it tends to test the quality of them. Own no SSD's as of yet but looking this Black Friday for a good deal on an Intel 5 Series

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
A drop in the bucket Western Digital plans to fight on principle, if one can call it that.

If I owned a company I would not be willing to give a competitor any money unless it was less than the cost of fighting it in court even if it was a "drop in the bucket" but I highly doubt WD's shareholders and employees feel that giving up 525 Mill out of their revenue they earned from people buying their drives instead of their competitors is that moot.

Competition breeds better product but only if they truly compete on the sales floor. Chrysler has been bailed out twice and they still have not made a car I would care to buy. The last Seagate drive I bought that I loved was back in 2001 when they put molded rubber around the drive to help quiet it.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
You all want to know the proof that WD is better than Segate?

I work for a technology recycling firm. I've gone through and tested THOUSANDS upon thousands of drives with many different brands, wiping each one and making sure they work..guess which branded drive passes the wiping procedure more than any other...WD :). Seagates I would say come in at 2nd(although if you see our harddrive inventory, we have 20 times the amount of wiped WD's vs. seagate), and then Hitachi and Samsung drives are aweful. I won't even talk about Maxtor/Quantum drives. I actually began tossing all of our 20GB drives besides the WD brand, just because I know they're worth wiping vs. watching all the others fail to wipe.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Seagate refused to honor a warranty on a failed drive once. I bought a retail drive from a brick and mortar store. But somehow the serial number on the drive came out to be OEM. I called Seagate and the customer service basically called me a liar when I told him this drive has retail packaging and came from a retail store.

Fuck Seagate with a ping pong paddle!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.