[SOLVED] Western Digital SSDs vs Samsung SSDs Question

CorpRebel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
In general... are the Western Digital Black and Blue NVMe SSDs a decent choice for a non gaming PC? I know that the Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSDs are the better choice (spec-wise), but there is a considerable price difference between WD & Samsung SSDs.

My decision is looking to be either the Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB for $100 or the Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 1TB for $135.

Thx!

CR

Solution
Blue's no, but the Black SN750's are nearly the same as the 970 Evo's/Evo Plus from Samsung. For the boot drive, I'd pick the higher pedigree SSD. If your game library consists of games that are heavy in terms of loading, I'd also get a high pedigree SSD like the Samsung but only if your budget allows. In fact you can get a SATA based SSD for the game library(M.2 form factor) and be done with it.

As for SSD capacity, I'd ask you to keep in mind that an SSD need to be at 50% occupancy in order to keep the drive healthy. So for a 1TB SSD, 500GB or slightly more than that would be the ideal filling space you have for your game library.

Lutfij

Titan
Blue's no, but the Black SN750's are nearly the same as the 970 Evo's/Evo Plus from Samsung. For the boot drive, I'd pick the higher pedigree SSD. If your game library consists of games that are heavy in terms of loading, I'd also get a high pedigree SSD like the Samsung but only if your budget allows. In fact you can get a SATA based SSD for the game library(M.2 form factor) and be done with it.

As for SSD capacity, I'd ask you to keep in mind that an SSD need to be at 50% occupancy in order to keep the drive healthy. So for a 1TB SSD, 500GB or slightly more than that would be the ideal filling space you have for your game library.

Reactions: CorpRebel
Solution

CorpRebel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to reply! As mentioned in my post, this is gonna be a NON gaming PC. So gaming performance doesn't matter to me. Plus I have a new Seagate 2TB HDD that I'll be using for the second drive. Might as well put it to use. heh heh

I was wanting to get a price/performance perspective of the two brands of SSDs, so thanks for your perspective. Helpful...

And thanks also for the SSD capacity info you mentioned. I didn't realize that would make a difference.

Have a GREAT rest of the week!

CR

TRENDING THREADS