Western Digital Updates "Black" Line of HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

Assuming prices don't jump crazily that is a nice little performance boost.

ietrinidad

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
It appears that no one reviews the article prior to posting it.

Thanks DaUnreal, I think we're all pretty aware that it was a typo. :)

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Cost Central is selling the 2 TB for around $160, up about $30 from the previous version. They are based out of PA, but I don't know if they are really selling this model yet.

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Western_Digital_2TB_WD_BLACK_WD2003FZEX_SATA_7200_RPM_64MB_35IN_6GB_S/WD2003FZEX/12021459/

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Another thing to note, I wonder if they will sneak in updates for the Velociraptor. I was planning to get one of those soon, but the Black updates put it pretty close now in the sequential reads.

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Sorry but no WD Caviar Blacks for me after using Intel SSDs. I last bought a Black (2TB) in early 2011. With a SSD as a system drive, I can easily use Seagate 3TB/4TB as storage drives. As I see it, Seagate 4TB is $165-170 compared with $260-270 for WD 4 TB Black. Even the slower WD Red 4TB is for $200. Ok, so WD has a 5 year warranty for blacks but they have started sending out refurbished drives now as replacement. That USP also goes. Till 2011, they used to send new ones for Black RMA.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

From what I've read elsewhere these still use the same 800GB platters. The biggest difference is that the drive capacities below 3TB appear to have been updated with the 800GB platters, where as before they were still using prior gen 500GB platters. Also, it looks like the new 3TB drive may have been reduced to 4 platters, where as the older drive was physically identical to the 4TB version and used 5 platters.

x2ruff4u

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Believe it or not, but recently I used CrystalDisck to check my hard drives health. I have a Samsung HD501LJ that has 34,874 hours on it which is 1,453 days that's 4 years!! I think that's incredible for RPM hard drive made back in 2006.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Can anyone please explain this:
... increasing the accuracy of the data written...
This isn't the age of analog dubbing and mix tapes. Either the data was written with 100% accuracy... or it wasn't. And I thought the bit-error rate on these things was supposed to be something on the order of 1 : 10^14 (plus or minus a couple of exponent points). So did they bump up that exponent, or what am I missing?

Ken Havens

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Mechanical Drives are really just long term storage devices now imo. The bulk of research should go into improving the cost/gigabyte, speed and reliability of SSD drives.

I kind of agree. Not so much that SSDs are going to be replacing 2TB+ HDDs any time soon (give it a few more years), but that Seagate has much better offerings at much lower prices.

The real issue with WD today is that you have their Blue series which is reliable but expensive, and cannot be used in a RAID. Then you have the Black series which is crazy expensive for what it is, but they are reliable, performant, and RAID-able. And then you have a slew of drives in the Green, Red, AV-GP, and 'mainstream' series which are all glorified trash, and even though they are more affordable, they still manage to be $10-20 more expensive than others.

Now I am not saying that Seagate is perfect either. They too have issues with their low-tier drives. The difference is that you can get a mid to high level Seagate drive without issues and still save some $30-100 per drive compared to a similarly performing WD Blue or Black. You typically don't get as long of a warranty with them (3-5 years vs 5-7 years), but it is often an issue of a longer warranty you need vs a shorter warranty that you are much likely to need. Personally I would rather the latter rather than the former.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Does it have the piezeoelectric wrist like the 2TB last generation Caviar Black?

Average acces times of 11.8ms like the older Caviar black? How is the real world performance improved over the last generation besides high sustained transfer rates? It does mention better performance/reliability in vibration environments, a dual core processor was in the previous Caviar Black as well.

So higher STR, does that mean 1TB platter now instead of 800GB?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

No, they still use 800GB platters. The higher sequential transfer rates on the new 4 and 3TB drives stems primarily from "improved algorithms and an updated controller with 'double the bits' of its predecessor. According to WD, the 'high resolution controller' improves tracking precision, which in turn accelerates overall performance".

In addition to these controller improvements, the 2 and 1TB drives likely got a platter density update. The FAEX version of these drives were still based on 500GB platters. I'm assuming this update brings them up to 800GB platters like the higher capacity drives in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.