Western Digital WD2500B007-RNN won't spin up

txomos

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
My external hard drive won't spin up and when plugged in, it clicks twice and then nothing. Is there a way to recover the data that is on this disk or to revive the drive? If so, please provide steps that need to be taken.

yobigd20

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
its clicking because its deaaaaad. western digital sucks. i have a closet full of dead western digital drives (about a dozen of them). lol. i dont buy them anymore.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
I had the same drive. Motor controller chip lit up the room with a flash and smoke one day. Data recovery lab could not restart it. I used it to crush walnuts for a while.

It was a second drive to my Samsung primary so I only lost some photos and music. Check the web and you will find the wd250 is a legend it it's own time for this type of failure. To add insult to injury WD used many different control parts and firmware editions on these drives. So not much chance to swap board or parts. WD bought on the open market and whatever was on sale at Wallmart they put in these drives.

I have had 4 Samsung drives since and no problems.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You would have thought that WD would have known better.

I wonder if it was worth the bad press? :lol:

The AAKS and AALS drives seem to be good.

G

My dog just ate my Passport... but the drive is fine... I can't find a cheap dead one to get a piece I need to run the bloody thing. D: Wish I had a closet full right about now. lol

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Theres Really Nothing Wrong With Western Digital, My Last 8 Hard Drives Were Western Digital, And They All Still Are Working Today, Ive Alwayse Had Issues With Seagate Myself. But If Its Clicking Like That Is Probably Dead, A Head Problem, And Those Usually Result In Un-Recoverable Data, But Thats Not Alwayse The Case All The Time

G

My passport by WD just crapped-out. Just stopped. How do I recover the data and move on?