News Western Digital's 18TB Hard Drive Breaks Cover With $648 Price Tag

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I could get a Toshiba 16 TB Enterprise HDD @ $388 on NewEgg in the US.

How does this WD Gold 18 TB justify it's existence @ $648?

It's not like WD is going Multi-Actuator for a real Speed Boost to saturate the SATA Interface.

It's name and reliability. I'm using a 14 TB Gold drive as my data / Steam drive on my main machine. Still have to pick up a second larger drive as the one I back up to in that machine is a 10 TB HGST drive and I'd like something a bit larger.

When I asked about the HGST drives and the Gold drives on the LTT forum as I was looking for a good source for them I was told similar things, there are much cheaper drives, why but those. My data is important to me, the price difference isn't that much over the lifespan of the drive (knock on wood), so I got the "better" one. Is it actually "better"? That's debatable for some.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
It's name and reliability. I'm using a 14 TB Gold drive as my data / Steam drive on my main machine. Still have to pick up a second larger drive as the one I back up to in that machine is a 10 TB HGST drive and I'd like something a bit larger.

When I asked about the HGST drives and the Gold drives on the LTT forum as I was looking for a good source for them I was told similar things, there are much cheaper drives, why but those. My data is important to me, the price difference isn't that much over the lifespan of the drive (knock on wood), so I got the "better" one. Is it actually "better"? That's debatable for some.

What name and reliability ? you can find 16TB Enterprise SAS 12 !!! drives from seagate for $420

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-exos-x16-st16000nm002g-16tb/p/N82E16822184808#

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

$648 is unlikely to be the actual price. As the article mentioned, that's a converted price which will likely end up lower in the US. How much do competing 18TB drives cost? That's why this one will have a price premium. Highest capacity always carries a non-linear price increase.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Thats why you dont RAID high capacity drives ... anyways 10K rpm SAS drives are maxed out at 2.4 TB
10k drives use smaller platters which result in lower capacity. Development has basically ceased as well because SSD's have replaced high RPM mechanical drives in the enterprise. The current generation of 10k drives was released 3 years ago which is also right around the time Seagate officially killed off its 15k drives.

Cloud based storage servers are largely high capacity 7200 RPM drives in some form of RAID.

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

What name and reliability ? you can find 16TB Enterprise SAS 12 !!! drives from seagate for $420

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-exos-x16-st16000nm002g-16tb/p/N82E16822184808#

I still stand by name and reliability. Seagate does not have the same reputation of WD / HGST, see any of the BackBlaze reports in the link posted. However I just trust WD / HGST more, if my peace of mind cost me a little more it's worth it. Now this does not mean I blindly buy WD drives, you won't find anything but gold, black, or HGST drives around my house, all my external drives are Toshiba.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I still stand by name and reliability. Seagate does not have the same reputation of WD / HGST, see any of the BackBlaze reports in the link posted. However I just trust WD / HGST more, if my peace of mind cost me a little more it's worth it. Now this does not mean I blindly buy WD drives, you won't find anything but gold, black, or HGST drives around my house, all my external drives are Toshiba.

you are comparing consumer level HDD to enterprise level HDD ..... you domt knpow what you are talking about especially when you inserted external drives into the mix which is the worst drives in the market even for consumers.

TRENDING THREADS