News Western Digital's 20TB HDDs with OptiNAND Are Available Now

Pirx73

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
Price is about 150 less than 8TB SSD, so for those who need that much of capacity it is a good deal i think.

mikenth

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016
As someone who is using WD Gold drives in my Desktop / gaming machine, I'm hesitantant to have one with SSD memory. What happens to the drive if the flash memory fails?

It is far more likely that the moving parts of a mechanical hard drive will fail before the solid state parts of a hybrid drive. I worry about any mechanical HD failing, and haven't had a system relying on a lone HD for over ten years. Instead I RAID 1 or RAID 10 2-4 HDs for insurance against failure. I will use a separate single SSD or RAID 0 array for data I can afford to lose (like boot drive) where performance is more important than reliability. These days there is no excuse (cost, performance, reliability) to rely on a single mechanical HD for anything, just don't do it. There are faster or more reliable or both alternatives.

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
The flash might help a lot. A magnetic hard drive can actually spin really fast if you are transferring very large files. Also, if you are using SMR, you might be able to make the SMR overhead a lot less using algorithms.