Western Digital's VelociRaptor Hard Drive Hits 1 TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
here is the article benchmarking the drive...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1907/1/

it's to supplement SSD, not a replacement...obviously...

wish I can get 2 of them to stripe them...

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]Good for a server i suppose but for gaming you can get a much faster SSD for that price. Raptors in general died when SSD's came out at the same price.[/citation]
Last I checked, SSDs just hit $1/GB. The 1TB VelociRaptor is $0.32/GB. They're nowhere near the same price. Although I still think it's a tad too expensive. Somewhere around $0.28/GB would be the sweet spot for the 1TB drive.

G

Man sure makes my 80 gig velociraptor seem old lol! Tho i wouldnt buy a new raptor anymore, might as well just buy a SSD.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hellfire24[/nom]they make a lot of noise.[/citation]

Have you owned one? I can hear my two 30's, but my Hitachi 500 is noisy as hell.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yes velocity raptor is very guiet drive!
But it is getting marginal product. I would very much like to see velocity raptor with ssd cache! It would be nice product! Not cheap, but fast and cheapet than pure ssd version.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Based on info from the older models 10,000rpm is noisy(probably still noisy) and the price is still to high to justify getting these drives... Buy a couple 1Tb Blacks, raid 0, and your saving $ over one Raptor and will have twice the storage space. On top of the something spinning @ 10,000rpm is bound to wear faster than standard drives

G

This is an excellent drive. The SSD cache only works well for very small workloads. Sequential transfer rates will be a lot higher without it. If you want SSD cache, add a 40 GB drive to Intel's new Rapid Store interface or whatever their SSD cachine technology is called. It is well over 200 MB/s now and at $319, you can buy two of them for the price of an SSD, stripe them, and get over 450 MB/s transfer rates like SSDs but with 2 TB of drive space.

I like SSDs, but many of the older models (and some of the newer ones) lose performance over time (though TRIM address this), and they are WAY too expensive.

Using an SSD and having 220 GB of USABLE drive space is just not a useful thing unless you are space constrained such as in a laptop. For desktops and workstations, striping 2 velocity raptors and getting 450 MB/s with 2 TBs of drive space is a much better solution... even with higher access times.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
250 GB version is $159.99...
I realize that quality costs money; but this is getting close (well, sort off) to SSD territory with the speed advantage obviously on the SSD side.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]Call me when SSD's can last for 20+ years. Until then, I won't touch them. I don't want to be forced to buy a new SSD every 5 years because the flash decided to die on me.[/citation]

I would normally agree with such a sentiment, but how long do you really use a single hard drive? I generally end up upgrading simply due to performance.

Sure nearly all the drives no longer in my desktop are running other things now, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have done it anyway.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Call me when a spinner can last 20+ years.
7-9 years is about the most you will get out of the toughest HD's, even the industrial drives we get here at work for our big RAID/backups.

I'd take an SSD over these anyday.
Noiseless, rocket ship performance with great reliability. Just don't use over 65% of its space on a SSD to ensure max performance/life.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
imvho this product shouldn't exist. it's just available in 3.5" form factor, sure 2.5 but with those heat and power and size requirements it can't fit in a notebook. so, with 315$ for 1TB I could buy several very high performance normal sata HDD's and put them in RAID and it would be cheaper and better performing then the velociraptor for the same amount of storage. if you want much better you have SSD's.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
This would make a great scratch drive for project assets. Why is it that none of the price criticisms above take drive capacity into consideration? Most similarly priced SSDs offer less than 1/3 the capacity. I would think that in order to justify the massive increase in price per gig, you would expect to see a similar increase in average real world performance. Unless you have a top of the line SSD I don't think that'll happen, and in that case the discrepancy in price per GB can grow even further. But I guess the average gaming enthusiast doesn't really care much about that when they can get by just fine with 128-256GB.

10000rpm drives still have their place in computing, though they may have become far less relevant for the gaming enthusiast over the past couple of years, in workstation environments involving production work mechanical drives are still king. Here both performance and capacity matter, and SSD's are still far too expensive given their incredibly high price per gig and relatively limited performance benefits when rendering/encoding. And yes, these are by far the most time consuming aspects of this work.

Anandtech did a very good review of the new velociraptor...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5729/western-digital-velociraptor-1tb-wd1000dhtz-review/1

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]Good for a server i suppose but for gaming you can get a much faster SSD for that price. Raptors in general died when SSD's came out at the same price.[/citation]
What SSD gives you 500GB for $209?

I know of none

CDdude55

Distinguished
Still running with a 300GB Velocirapter as my games/storage drive. Moved my OS to an SSD though.

I'm really only using the Velociraptor for it's space, if you want performance then an SSD would be a lot better for that price. But a 1TB Velocirapter sounds nice overall, considering it's still one if not the best line when it comes to HDD performance. Plus you're getting significantly more space than an SSD.

G

love to two listed read speeds (one should be a write I suspect).

As to the drive I still see them as being better in some situations over SSDs. reliable write speeds come to mind (no care about data type) and no "max writes per day" restrictions).

Speeds wise, read and write is better than a intel G2 SSD and anything older so not a slow showing.

As to noise, mine have been very quite. The only drives I have had that have irritating noise is the seek on a Seagate green.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Raid 2 of them together and get ssd speeds with 2TB of storage for 650. A 2TB SSD would cost much much more. There, now it sounds good :) I might get 2 of them. I need both capacity and speed. I game and do professional work on my workstation so SSD wont do. Some of my files are huge and speed is important for more then just games for me. I think this is a good balance in my mind for those who use their computer for both work and gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS