Westinghouse Intros Roku-Ready HDTVs at CES 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

atoms83

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
roku ready TV? i don't quite understand. it sounds like it's just a regular TV with a couple more HDMI plugs so you can go out and buy a roku stick. if thats the case then every LCD tv with HDMI is roku ready right?

evilsizer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Westinghouse just isn't a brand that Ive been interested in. I have yet to really see good reviews on them. Still, it's nice to see that you may soon not be locked in to only whatever your smart tv has to offer, but be able to change out sticks as tech gets better. Either way, it's one hell of an improvement over my old HTPC.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]atoms83[/nom]roku ready TV? i don't quite understand. it sounds like it's just a regular TV with a couple more HDMI plugs so you can go out and buy a roku stick. if thats the case then every LCD tv with HDMI is roku ready right?[/citation]

The Roku Stick requires an MHL port, not an HDMI. Similar looking, but different.

atoms83

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
oh ok. i was thinking of getting one for my 40" sony bravia for streaming contend from my PC, but i think i would rather get an MK802 or better.

Daedalus12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
The MHL port is such a better idea than a regular smart TV. Now I can choose the software for my smart TV and upgrade it when I need to without ditching the TV. Glad to see this happening!

[citation][nom]Daedalus12[/nom]The MHL port is such a better idea than a regular smart TV. Now I can choose the software for my smart TV and upgrade it when I need to without ditching the TV. Glad to see this happening![/citation]

can't you just connect a small PC to the TV? or be like me and have my main PC hooked up to it for big screen gaming lol

chocostain

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
This is amazing! No need to buy those expensive Smart TV's, which in my own opinion isn't Smart at all! LOL.

Go Go Gadget.... TV!

Daedalus12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
[citation][nom]vmem[/nom]can't you just connect a small PC to the TV? or be like me and have my main PC hooked up to it for big screen gaming lol[/citation]

I totally agree! But for those who are less tech savvy, I think this is a much better idea. Also, it should make the TV's cheaper since it will be shipping without the smart TV hardware.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
it seems there is still a battle with what kind of standard they are going to use on TVs. First there was DLNA now Samsung and DirectTv have RVU. It will be interesting to see how it all works out, if they ever work it out.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Daedalus12[/nom]The MHL port is such a better idea than a regular smart TV. Now I can choose the software for my smart TV and upgrade it when I need to without ditching the TV. Glad to see this happening![/citation]

Until they 'upgrade' from MHL to something else. Think about it. If they offload the 'smart' part of the TV, TV's go back to being relatively simple appliances that you won't be upgrading as often. Not good for the business models of the manufacturers.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]pixelpusher220[/nom]Until they 'upgrade' from MHL to something else. Think about it. If they offload the 'smart' part of the TV, TV's go back to being relatively simple appliances that you won't be upgrading as often. Not good for the business models of the manufacturers.[/citation]

To a point. Anything over a certain price point (typically $800 and above) is less likely to have consumers willing to upgrade to the latest version. This works best on iPhone/iPad and similar since the price point is more manageable for upgrading and ability to sell/trade mobile devices for latest model is common. With that being said I wont buy another LED TV until 4K is affordable :p

Status
Not open for further replies.