Metroguts

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Hello everyone, 2 days ago my pc suddenly turned off and wouldnt turn back on but the green light was on, on the motherboard.
2 days later i start investigating what causes the pc not to turn on my thoight was the motherboard, cpu was fried somewhere or the psu is not performing as well anymore and cant support my pc

I took out the gpu and to my surprise the pc started working, so i went ahead and took apart the gpu before planning to go and buy new psu and test out if it will fix anything.
I was shocked to see my gpu had a large wet-ish mark in the middle of it, is it possible that my gpu shorted/fried it self due to the wet area and as a result the protective PSU system kicks in and wont let the pc start up with the gpu attached to the motherboard ? Also idk if this is important but i didnt even connect the PSU cable to the gpu and it doesnt tutn on woth or without.

The specs of my PC are:
  • Intel Core I7-6700K Processor (4 GHz, 8 M Cache, LGA1151)
  • ASUS Z170-A Intel Skylake SLi/CrossFire ATX Motherboard - THIS needs to be replaced
  • EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming 8 GB ACX 3.0 Graphic Card
  • RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL14 XMP 2.0 High Performance
  • Cryorig H7 AMD and Intel Processor Heatsink Cooler
  • PSU EVGA supernoba 650 G2
Refer to pic for the affected area
View: https://imgur.com/a/Epn9RuB

ps. not sure if this is also important but when the graphics card is removed i need to unplug the power supply from the socket and wait couple of seconds to allow me to turn the pc back on

Last edited:
Solution
Without the pads, the backplate could be "touching" the back of the PCB and thus creating some sort of short. Its a long shot but something kinda easy to test. You don't need to run a game, just see if the PC boots and enter the BIOS or load Windows. Then again is your choice, this is just a sugestion no need to go ahead with it.

Other than that, and not having the card in front of me, is kinda hard to tell if it would work or if its done.

Metroguts

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
no i do not water cool - as aforementioned in my specs
is not a watercooler

those pads melting - could they have damaged the graphics card in someway ?

Also any ideas as to why my pc is throwing a tantrum when i put the graphics card in and it doesnt turn on from what i've explained above could anyone provide some ideas on it ?

Metroguts

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
never used it without a backplate, why would that make a difference? if you are asking that to be the reason for the "wet mark" i doubt it i believe its as aforementioned by
JohnBonhamsGhost it could be the residue of the pads.

as for the issue with the GPU and my PC not working with the GPU attached to the motherboard - this is the main concern here.

Without the pads, the backplate could be "touching" the back of the PCB and thus creating some sort of short. Its a long shot but something kinda easy to test. You don't need to run a game, just see if the PC boots and enter the BIOS or load Windows. Then again is your choice, this is just a sugestion no need to go ahead with it.

Other than that, and not having the card in front of me, is kinda hard to tell if it would work or if its done.

Solution

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Hello everyone, 2 days ago my pc suddenly turned off and wouldnt turn back on but the green light was on, on the motherboard.
2 days later i start investigating what causes the pc not to turn on my thoight was the motherboard, cpu was fried somewhere or the psu is not performing as well anymore and cant support my pc

I took out the gpu and to my surprise the pc started working, so i went ahead and took apart the gpu before planning to go and buy new psu and test out if it will fix anything.
I was shocked to see my gpu had a large wet-ish mark in the middle of it, is it possible that my gpu shorted/fried it self due to the wet area and as a result the protective PSU system kicks in and wont let the pc start up with the gpu attached to the motherboard ? Also idk if this is important but i didnt even connect the PSU cable to the gpu and it doesnt tutn on woth or without.

The specs of my PC are:
  • Intel Core I7-6700K Processor (4 GHz, 8 M Cache, LGA1151)
  • ASUS Z170-A Intel Skylake SLi/CrossFire ATX Motherboard - THIS needs to be replaced
  • EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming 8 GB ACX 3.0 Graphic Card
  • RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL14 XMP 2.0 High Performance
  • PSU EVGA supernoba 650 G2
Refer to pic for the affected area
View: https://imgur.com/a/Epn9RuB

ps. not sure if this is also important but when the graphics card is removed i need to unplug the power supply from the socket and wait couple of seconds to allow me to turn the pc back on
Did you try removing the residue with a clothe or something?

maybe search for some images of this card disassembled so you could see exactly where any pads would've been to begin with.

PC not working with the GPU attached to the motherboard - this is the main concern here.
i would first contact EVGA support and show them images.
if under warranty hopefully it will be an easy RMA.

if not under warranty and they're not willing to offer outside of warranty help;
ask support which exact size & dimension of pads you should use to replace those,
try cleaning with a lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol,
then replace the pads and reassemble.

Metroguts

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
So no one suggested to try a different psu before getting into potential fixing of the gpu?

Could it potentially be the case that the psu has some issues now and cant handle to boot the pc with the g pool u inside of it anymore ? Btw like i mentioned i cant even enter the BIOS with gpu inside. Without the GPU I can launch the pc normally

Metroguts

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
If anyone foes really suggest to change and test a different psu ill do that and if its not the case - What PSU do you guys recommend as a replacement for mine aforementioned? within reasonable price of my one ofcourse would be appreciated

I will order soldering tools and some other things, if the gpu is shorted what potential conponents do i need? Im not familiar with names so if anyone can link all potential conponents that would need changing would appreciste it

Another question is what % of isopropyl alcohol is safe to use to clean it off? or is thermal compound remover also something that would work ?

Thanks alot

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
Without the card in front of me tough to tell, but doesn't look like water. Typically water will cause contact corrosion that will show blueish green in the solder areas around resistors and caps. Also the center point of the mark is directly over the chips, which would have me thinking either something like thermal paste was hot enough to vaporize and re-condense or burn and leave residue. Either way never run a gpu without all cables attached and heatsinks in place. Either can potentially cause damage.

jasonf2

Distinguished
If anyone foes really suggest to change and test a different psu ill do that and if its not the case

I will order soldering tools and some other things, if the gpu is shorted what potential conponents do i need? Im not familiar with names so if anyone can link all potential conponents that would need changing would appreciste it

Thanks alot
If the GPU is shorted for all given purposes you will be needing a new GPU, not a soldering iron. Modern printed circuit boards, while most can be serviced, more often than not require a soldering iron microscope and test equipment that will far out cost a new GPU. More importantly than that even with the right equipment without some serious electronics experience, base soldering talent and practice this is well out of the range of the average DIY project. If you want to try to find someone who will attempt the repair for you I would find a local TV repair shop. They are a dying breed, but some of them continue to update equipment to make shop repairs. There is usually a minimum, with no guarantees.

Metroguts

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Without the card in front of me tough to tell, but doesn't look like water. Typically water will cause contact corrosion that will show blueish green in the solder areas around resistors and caps. Also the center point of the mark is directly over the chips, which would have me thinking either something like thermal paste was hot enough to vaporize and re-condense or burn and leave residue. Either way never run a gpu without all cables attached and heatsinks in place. Either can potentially cause damage.

you are right it is not water it has this "oily" consistency and it does seem to be on the other side of where the gpu sink is. but it could also maybe be the residue of the Pads which are visible as rectangles on the image i posted above if you look closely there are 4 rectangle pads, they are still there but look pretty normal as if nothing happened

If anyone foes really suggest to change and test a different psu ill do that and if its not the case - What PSU do you guys recommend as a replacement for mine aforementioned? within reasonable price of my one ofcourse would be appreciated

Another question is what % of isopropyl alcohol is safe to use to clean it off? or is thermal compound remover also something that would work ?

Thanks alot

Try and get the highest % of alcohol you can get, and after application let it dry and evaporate. Then again if the GPU have some "electronic" damage, you won't be able to fix it in home. Alcohol my remove the paint of the backplate, so be gentle.

You only removed the backplate, right?, The heatsink, cooler and all the cables are plugged on the other side of the GPU PCB, right?, And you already tried the GPU in the PC before, right (when it didn't turn on anymore)?

If all those question are "yes" then, Have you tried what I suggested and see if the PC turns On with the GPU but without its backplate? (You will have to plug the PSU cables for it to test). - I can understand if you don't wana do this. But also gettting a new PSU and trying it with this same "old" GPU will be almost as risky.

You don't need the backplate to load windows or enter the BIOS (you do need the heatsink, fans and all the other stuff from the other side of the PCB), just don't try to run any game (you could probably run games without the backplate, most of them are not well desing and often are useless).

Anyways good luck, and if you don't feel safe or confortable trying or doing this things, try to find a recommended PC technician who also know about electronics.

Last edited:

Metroguts

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Try and get the highest % of alcohol you can get, and after application let it dry and evaporate. Then again if the GPU have some "electronic" damage, you won't be able to fix it in home. Alcohol my remove the paint of the backplate, so be gentle.

You only removed the backplate, right?, The heatsink, cooler and all the cables are plugged on the other side of the GPU PCB, right?, And you already tried the GPU in the PC before, right (when it didn't turn on anymore)?

If all those question are "yes" then, Have you tried what I suggested and see if the PC turns On with the GPU but without its backplate? (You will hava to plug the PSU cables for it to turn on). - I can understand if you don't wana do this. But also gettting a new PSU and trying it with this same "old" GPU will be almost as risky.

You don't need the backplate to load windows or enter the BIOS (you do need the heatsink, fans and all the other stuff from the other side of the PCB), just don't try to run any game (you could probably run games without the backplate, most of them are not well desing and often are useless).

Anyways good luck, and if you don't feel safe or confortable trying or doing this things, try to find a recommended PC technician who also know about electronics.

Hello thanks for your suggestion, yes i've just given it a try and it seems it doesnt turn on with the backplate off either. i am unable toload bios or anything with the GPU attached. When i remove the GPU though i can launch bios and use windows normally.

Hello thanks for your suggestion, yes i've just given it a try and it seems it doesnt turn on with the backplate off either. i am unable toload bios or anything with the GPU attached. When i remove the GPU though i can launch bios and use windows normally.

If you tried the PGU without the backplate with the PCIE PSU cables plugged in, then only thing to do is try different parts. Either a different GPU and/or (as you wrote before) a different PSU.

Reactions: dorsai

Metroguts

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
If you tried the PGU without the backplate with the PCIE PSU cables plugged in, then only thing to do is try different parts. Either a different GPU and/or (as you wrote before) a different PSU.

is there a PSU you would recommend in the price range of £50 ish thats 650 watts or more and is gold.

Cheap and good don't usually go hand in hand for PSUs. I would recommend you bite the bullet and buy a quality name brand PSU that will last you for years to come.

Unfortunately my feeling is your GPU is dead due to a short likely caused when the back-plate came in contact with the GPU circuit board as RodroX also is suggesting. The PC starting normally with the GPU removed is a pretty strong sign the GPU is toast. A PSU typically works or it doesn't with wounded ones on their last leg almost always giving off squealing or zapping sounds.

Reactions: RodroX
is there a PSU you would recommend in the price range of £50 ish thats 650 watts or more and is gold.

The PSU could be causing problems, but considering the GPU melted the thermal pads Im not pretty sure about it. Also without the GPU the PC turns on right?, and works without issues?

Theres no easy answer to your question, some repiar shops have testing parts, they could install a GPU inside you PC and see if it boots, or try a different PSU, or both. They are somehow "risking" those spare parts, thats why they charge what they charge.

Been on the other side of the planet does not make it easy to diagnose and tell you what to do.

As for PSU recommendation, I would go with Corsair RMX or Seasonic Focus (80+ gold) and at least 650 watts, modular or semi modular. Perhaps someone else could share other ideas.

jasonf2

Distinguished
you are right it is not water it has this "oily" consistency and it does seem to be on the other side of where the gpu sink is. but it could also maybe be the residue of the Pads which are visible as rectangles on the image i posted above if you look closely there are 4 rectangle pads, they are still there but look pretty normal as if nothing happened
Most of the thermal compounds used are thermally conductive, but dielectrically insulating (for obvious reasons). While it looks ominous unless it is causing corrosion, or a short directly (which would be pretty visible as a burn pattern) the residue is more than likely harmless. People in here are probably going to argue thermal resistance, but where it is located is pretty much in an air dam area anyway so while you can clean it I doubt that thermal paste residue is your bigger issue. Whatever got that thing hot enough to vaporize the thermal paste is more than likely the real issue. Personally I would clean it up with some alcohol , reapply the proper thermal materials and see if it lights back up. You may have just been having a GPU go into heat shutdown due to a bad thermal bond between heatsink and chip.

Metroguts

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
So... Guys i had it tested with another gpu and my gpu tested in another PC - this looks like GPU is shorted, so as there is no life whats so ever in this gpu anymore, the only option is for me to experiment ! :D i already took it apart ill just go ahead and order some equipment see whats shorted and see if its possible to get it replaced and at what cost.

Other than aforementioned there is not much i can do in regards to getting a new GPU as the market is... ridiculous at the moment due to scalpers all around jesus christ.... you can buy 2x better rig directly from a shop compared to building one, i remember when this was the other way around