Wetern Digital External HDD issue

vizzle613

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Hi everyone

I have this old IDE external drive from WD that our CEO approached us and asked if we can recover data, as he didn't have the power adapter for it.
I found a power adapter, and whenI plug the drive, Windows sees the drive under computer management, but I have no options for assigning drive letter, nor even viewing the partition; I only have the option to delete volume

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help
Cheers!

Solution
Need more info than this about what this drive was. Was the drive bad and just put aside? Was it pulled out of a good system? Was it encrypted? What was the file system on it? Really no way to know with what to do with it without knowing some details about it. Is there a partition showing in disk manager? Does it look like a blank disk?

vizzle613

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008

I can't say if the drive was put aside, all we know is that the owner lost the power adaptor, so I assume he just hasn't used it.
The drive is an enclosed Western Digital Mybook style drive (dates from 2006)
The only thing I can say is that Windows detects the drive; in computer management - under disk management, it showed roughly a 200mb EFI partition style (there was no format type, i,e FAT32, NTFS - it was blank) - and the 400+ partition size - no label as well. Windows only says that it's "healthy"

I can only think that it was probably made for MAC. I know the user in question is a MAC person, and I heard that the drive apparently works on one of his laptops at homes, secondly - as you mentioned, there is probably some type of encryption. But being the nature of the drive - by default, it would prompt for something in Windows. So I am leaning towards it being formatted for MAC's from WD

Thanks

OK, so that is good info, if it's from a MAC, try installing HFSExplorer and see if it will see what is on the disk, or find an Apple computer to use with it.

Solution