WH40K Final Lib: Anybody get it to run under XP SP2?

Frittering away my time getting old games to run on my new rig. I could
just go in the next room where FL is installed on my old pc......but, well,
it's the challenge, don't you know.

The game installs ok, starts up with the menu splash panel, runs the SSI
logo after you hit "play," but black-screens when it reaches the point where
it should start the opening video. I suspect this is because the version of
smacker (DOS-based, or so I think) that comes with the game won't run under
XP. I googled a bunch of info on getting the game to run, but so far no
luck. I've created an epic.ini file which turns off the videos, but the
game still doesn't work. Yes, I've tried all the compatability
options....with no luck. I'm not interested in creating a Win98 partition
or anything extreme. Anybody had any luck getting this puppy to run under
XP SP2?

Then, there's Chaos Gate which, from what I read, is a completely impossible
nightmare to run under XP. Have to give that one a try next. :)

DocScorpio <DocScorpio@stupra-spammeros.com> wrote:
> The game installs ok, starts up with the menu splash panel, runs the SSI
> logo after you hit "play," but black-screens when it reaches the point where
> it should start the opening video. I suspect this is because the version of
> smacker (DOS-based, or so I think) that comes with the game won't run under
> XP. I googled a bunch of info on getting the game to run, but so far no
> luck. I've created an epic.ini file which turns off the videos, but the
> game still doesn't work. Yes, I've tried all the compatability
> options....with no luck. I'm not interested in creating a Win98 partition
> or anything extreme. Anybody had any luck getting this puppy to run under
> XP SP2?

I recently got Final Liberation to run under Win2K. Creating the ".ini"
file to disable the videos worked. I'm not sure why WinXP would be
different -- you'd think it'd be easier, with all the compatibility gunk.

--
Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

"Andy McFadden" <fadden@fadden.com> wrote in message
> DocScorpio <DocScorpio@stupra-spammeros.com> wrote:
>> The game installs ok, starts up with the menu splash panel, runs the SSI
>> logo after you hit "play," but black-screens when it reaches the point
>> where
>> it should start the opening video. I suspect this is because the version
>> of
>> smacker (DOS-based, or so I think) that comes with the game won't run
>> under
>> XP. I googled a bunch of info on getting the game to run, but so far no
>> luck. I've created an epic.ini file which turns off the videos, but the
>> game still doesn't work. Yes, I've tried all the compatability
>> options....with no luck. I'm not interested in creating a Win98
>> partition
>> or anything extreme. Anybody had any luck getting this puppy to run
>> under
>> XP SP2?
>
> I recently got Final Liberation to run under Win2K. Creating the ".ini"
> file to disable the videos worked. I'm not sure why WinXP would be
> different -- you'd think it'd be easier, with all the compatibility gunk.
>
> --
> Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
> CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/
> CiderPress Apple II archive utility for Windows -
> http://www.faddensoft.com/
> Fight Internet Spam - http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ & http://spamcop.net/

I'm going to copy in some saves and the .ini from the install on my Win98SE
pc. Could be I screwed up the .ini I created. I started the game on the
other pc and I now see that the install on this pc is crashing right after
the SSI logo, but before the Holistic logo. Smacker is used to run these
logos as well as the live-action videos. I'm crashing before I even reach
the videos so I'm not sure turning them off will do any good.

"Andy McFadden" <fadden@fadden.com> wrote in message
> DocScorpio <DocScorpio@stupra-spammeros.com> wrote:
>> The game installs ok, starts up with the menu splash panel, runs the SSI
>> logo after you hit "play," but black-screens when it reaches the point
>> where
>> it should start the opening video. I suspect this is because the version
>> of
>> smacker (DOS-based, or so I think) that comes with the game won't run
>> under
>> XP. I googled a bunch of info on getting the game to run, but so far no
>> luck. I've created an epic.ini file which turns off the videos, but the
>> game still doesn't work. Yes, I've tried all the compatability
>> options....with no luck. I'm not interested in creating a Win98
>> partition
>> or anything extreme. Anybody had any luck getting this puppy to run
>> under
>> XP SP2?
>
> I recently got Final Liberation to run under Win2K. Creating the ".ini"
> file to disable the videos worked. I'm not sure why WinXP would be
> different -- you'd think it'd be easier, with all the compatibility gunk.
>
> --
> Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
> CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/
> CiderPress Apple II archive utility for Windows -
> http://www.faddensoft.com/
> Fight Internet Spam - http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ & http://spamcop.net/

Got it to run with the epic.ini from the install on my other pc. Can it be
run w/o the CD in the drive? I've copied the music over and tried a few
other things, but still get the "missing CD" msg.

DocScorpio <DocScorpio@stupra-spammeros.com> wrote:
>> I recently got Final Liberation to run under Win2K. Creating the ".ini"
>> file to disable the videos worked. I'm not sure why WinXP would be
>> different -- you'd think it'd be easier, with all the compatibility gunk.

> Got it to run with the epic.ini from the install on my other pc. Can it be
> run w/o the CD in the drive? I've copied the music over and tried a few
> other things, but still get the "missing CD" msg.

For the .ini file I followed the instructions here:

http://ntcompatible.com/cdetail10900.html

There are some Chaos Gate instructions elsewhere on the site -- apparently
you have to edit the maps to keep it from crashing.

I didn't have a problem with the CD. I believe the game pre-dates CD-ROM
copy protection, so it shouldn't need to do anything but find the files.
I don't have the game installed at present, but there must be an INI file
in there somewhere that tells it what drive to use.

Note there is a v1.01 patch for Final Liberation that may or may not
affect this stuff.

--

> DocScorpio <DocScorpio@stupra-spammeros.com> wrote:
>>> I recently got Final Liberation to run under Win2K. Creating the ".ini"
>>> file to disable the videos worked. I'm not sure why WinXP would be
>>> different -- you'd think it'd be easier, with all the compatibility
>>> gunk.
>
>> Got it to run with the epic.ini from the install on my other pc. Can it
>> be
>> run w/o the CD in the drive? I've copied the music over and tried a few
>> other things, but still get the "missing CD" msg.
>
> For the .ini file I followed the instructions here:
>
> http://ntcompatible.com/cdetail10900.html
>
> There are some Chaos Gate instructions elsewhere on the site -- apparently
> you have to edit the maps to keep it from crashing.
>
> I didn't have a problem with the CD. I believe the game pre-dates CD-ROM
> copy protection, so it shouldn't need to do anything but find the files.
> I don't have the game installed at present, but there must be an INI file
> in there somewhere that tells it what drive to use.
>
> Note there is a v1.01 patch for Final Liberation that may or may not
> affect this stuff.
>
> --
> Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
> CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/
> CiderPress Apple II archive utility for Windows -
> http://www.faddensoft.com/
> Fight Internet Spam - http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ & http://spamcop.net/

I'm familiar with the site you linked....that's where I got the info on how
to create an .ini file (think I know what I did wrong now).

In the past, I've copied the entire contents of the CD onto the harddrive
after installing FL, but still got the "CD file missing" error msg. I've
not found any config file which directs the game to the CD, so I assumed it
was coded in the executable or some other file to seek the CD.

As for Chaos Gate, one problem I read about is that whenever a Kill Cultist
fires his handgun, it crashes the game. As you write though, they're are
ways around this by editing the game.