Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Has anyone heard anything about WD making a hybrid raptor? I've been searching around and I tried to email WD but they didn't have anything for inquiries or whatnot.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Haven't heard anything about it other than someone in the "Conventional Harddrive Obsoletism?" thread, I believe, stated something like "WD should make a Raptor with like 1GB flash based cache and normal storage on 10k rpm."

Other then that, haven't heard anything or read anything.

Doesn't mean it's not true though.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I know.... I was referring to the like Flash mem if they made one with a flash hybrid in it. Lol, I have a raptor in my comp... 150GB... it's fast... especially with linux.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Hard drives with built in flash memory are useless until Windows Vista is released.

Even then why bother. The system works just as well with a USB thumdrive + regular hard drive.

BTW the flash memory used has a much lower transfer rate than a hard drive. The peformance gain is from lower latency.

Thats why the Raptor peforms better on real world benchmarks against drives with the same tranfer rate.

And why RAID 0 isn't always that great.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Don't get me wrong. There are some uses for which RAID is not only usefull, but downright essential.

===

Anyway I just don't see these hybrids catching on. Especially when I hear about motherboard being equipped with interal flash memory ports. (USB 2.0 + fast thumbdrives for now, but latter maybe something faster)

Seems like it would make a lot more sense to keep the memory on the motheboard rather than have it built into the hard drive.