What’s the best gaming setup currently, Intel or AMD?

paladinyogi

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Hello,

I’ve been out of the computer building “game” for a few years now, and I’m amazed at how much things have changed since I built my first computer several years ago. The games I’ll be looking to play is mostly single player games such as Fallout:New Vegas heavily modded. Fallout 4 modded etc. My original computer was AMD based, FX-8350 and it was terrible with a heavily modded New Vegas since NV was a game that used 2 cores without editing the .ini

I have a Intel system mocked up, with the i9-9900K as it’s starting point, I like the high clock speed over say, a Ryzen 2700X. I’ve heard the Ryzen CPU’s are the best bang for the buck, but are they good for the type games I’ll play? I’ve heard that I’d be better off going with a Ryzen base and putting all the money saved towards a better GPU, but I feel that a GTX 1070 is a pretty good GPU, and could easily upgrade later on down the line? I haven’t mocked up a AMD system but I feel the $2000 for the Intel system isn’t that bad compared to the Intel systems of a few years ago.

What are your thoughts? Any insight is much appreciated.

Depends on the games and at what resolution you are playing AND what GPU you plan on getting etc.

If you are sticking with the mid range GPU's flip a coin, going high end GPU's it would be Intel especially if sticking with 1080P for high framerates.