[SOLVED] What’s the best Powerline adapter?

Sep 11, 2020
Needing recommendations for Powerline adapters. I have a handful of smart TVs that I want to wire up and my desktop.

I use YouTube tv for cable and Netflix on the TVs.
I have charter internet 100 mb/s

Solution
Key here is to buy the newer technology. You want something called AV2. The manufactures have been extremely deceptive in their device naming lately so you need to read the fine print. In general they call them 1000 or 2000 for the newest units. These actually run on a standard called av2-600 and av2-1200. Tp-link though renamed their old units based on the av500 standard av600 just to trick you into thinking they run the newer av2-600 standard.

Of course there numbers are all lies. You will be lucky to get just over 100mbps on the "1000" units and just under 200mbps on the "2000" units.

Since these are tv do they have coax antenna cable going to them. You may be better off using Moca even though it can be a...
I bought a pair of TP-Link powerline adapters for my TV nearly 2 years ago and they have given me no trouble at all -- they've truly been "fit and forget". I'm not saying they are the best, just telling you my experience with them.

Be aware that the quality/condition of your house wiring will affect the performance/stability of all powerline adapters.

Key here is to buy the newer technology. You want something called AV2. The manufactures have been extremely deceptive in their device naming lately so you need to read the fine print. In general they call them 1000 or 2000 for the newest units. These actually run on a standard called av2-600 and av2-1200. Tp-link though renamed their old units based on the av500 standard av600 just to trick you into thinking they run the newer av2-600 standard.

Of course there numbers are all lies. You will be lucky to get just over 100mbps on the "1000" units and just under 200mbps on the "2000" units.

Since these are tv do they have coax antenna cable going to them. You may be better off using Moca even though it can be a little more expensive. The newest units based on moca 2.5 can actually provide gigabit data rates between devices.

Solution
If you have an option for moca versus powerline, I would definitely go that route instead. Even the older moca is 270Mbps--which blows away the top potential performance of even the highest end powerline units, and the newest moca 2.5 is a true 2.5Gbps network, which is essentially full bandwidth wired ethernet.

Now, if cost is of some concern, then you can get away with using av500 powerlines as most televisions still only have a 100Mbps nic and don't use more than 40Mbps no matter what they are doing--well within what good av500 powerlines can do. Plus, because av500 are old, you should be able to find them used for dirt cheap and essentially upgrade to a 'wired' infrastructure for a fraction of new powerlines or moca.