Question What 1080p 144hz G-Sync gaming Monitor should I buy?

Jun 17, 2019
I am looking for a new gaming monitor for my PC setup. Currently I have an AOC e2243Fw so I feel that its time to get an upgrade haha.

I am looking for a 1080p 144hz G-Sync monitor that has good quality but is as low of a price as possible. What can be recommended?

PC Specifications:
MOBO: Asus x Maximus Hero
CPU: Intel i7 8700k
GPU: Zotac GTX 1070Ti 8GB
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 Gold 850w

WildCard999

Titan
Your 1070 ti, with a Displayport cable should work with most Freesync monitors.

This is a solid budget choice, VA panel so better colors then TN.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: MSI - Optix MAG241C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($179.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $179.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-17 10:37 EDT-0400

Here's a guide on how to setup the Freesync with that GPU.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

Reactions: seijuro.h
Jun 17, 2019
Your 1070 ti, with a Displayport cable should work with most Freesync monitors.

This is a solid budget choice, VA panel so better colors then TN.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: MSI - Optix MAG241C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($179.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $179.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-17 10:37 EDT-0400

Here's a guide on how to setup the Freesync with that GPU.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html
Thankyou for your reply!

Would Freesync really be okay for my setup? I personally dont know too much about Freesync and G-Sync apart from one being AMD and the other NVidia?

Also what can be recommended in terms of monitor size?

WildCard999

Titan
Thankyou for your reply!

Would Freesync really be okay for my setup? I personally dont know too much about Freesync and G-Sync apart from one being AMD and the other NVidia?

Also what can be recommended in terms of monitor size?
I have a Freesync monitor and RX 580 so I haven't tested it out myself but from what I hear it works well.

As for the size 23.6-24" is good for 1080P. Higher such as 27" looks good for gaming but the text may be slightly blurry for some but it really depends on how far you sit from the monitor and it will be slightly bigger then your current monitor. If your really unsure on size I'd recommend going to a local tech store if possible and checking them out in person as that would help. The biggest factor, imho, is going with VA or IPS as the colors look way better then your current TN panel and if you do play faster paced games then going from 60 to 144hz will be a big improvement.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019
Yup it works well from what I've heard. I have a Freesync monitor and RX 580 so I haven't tested it out myself but from what I hear it works well.

As for the size 23.6-24" is good for 1080P. Higher such as 27" looks good for gaming but the text may be slightly blurry for some but it really depends on how far you sit from the monitor and it will be slightly bigger then your current monitor. If your really unsure on size I'd recommend going to a local tech store if possible and checking them out in person as that would help. The biggest factor, imho, is going with VA or IPS as the colors look way better then your current TN panel and if you do play faster paced games then going from 60 to 144hz will be a big improvement.
Okay thankyou so much again for your help,

Yes the monitor I am using now is very old and I have alot of problems with bad screen tearing meaning I often have to use V-Sync. I have read that this can cause input lag which is not ideal for certain games so sometimes I turn V-Sync off and just have to deal with the screen tearing which is horrible haha.

I think 24" will be okay for me as I will be using 1080p. I was recommended to look for a 1080p monitor as my GPU would struggle with a higher resolution at 144hz?

Also one last question if you have the time; what do you think about the curved screen vs flat screen? Could the curved screen be 'worse' for gaming or cause problems?

WildCard999

Titan
Okay thankyou so much again for your help,

Yes the monitor I am using now is very old and I have alot of problems with bad screen tearing meaning I often have to use V-Sync. I have read that this can cause input lag which is not ideal for certain games so sometimes I turn V-Sync off and just have to deal with the screen tearing which is horrible haha.

I think 24" will be okay for me as I will be using 1080p. I was recommended to look for a 1080p monitor as my GPU would struggle with a higher resolution at 144hz?

Also one last question if you have the time; what do you think about the curved screen vs flat screen? Could the curved screen be 'worse' for gaming or cause problems?
Your system would handle 1080P/144hz+ or even 1440P/144hz depending on the game and if you don't mind turning down some settings. Overclocking the CPU would also help with high FPS.

As for flat vs curved it really depends on the monitor size and how close you are to it. Curved does bring some immersion to the game but I think 24" is too small for it, others may disagree which is why I usually recommend checking them out in person. If you wanted curve I'd probably go 27"+.

Jun 17, 2019
Your system would handle 1080P/144hz+ or even 1440P/144hz depending on the game and if you don't mind turning down some settings. Overclocking the CPU would also help with high FPS.

As for flat vs curved it really depends on the monitor size and how close you are to it. Curved does bring some immersion to the game but I think 24" is too small for it, others may disagree which is why I usually recommend checking them out in person. If you wanted curve I'd probably go 27"+.
Okay fair enough, what would you choose/recommend without spending a huge amount of money?

I would be happy to look for a monitor thats £250. If you had the choice would you go with a 1080p 144hz or a higher resolution? I think I will be happy staying at 144hz instead of 240hz because that will still be over double what I have now. But in terms of resolution and monitor size what do you reckon will be 'best'?

WildCard999

Titan
Okay fair enough, what would you choose/recommend without spending a huge amount of money?

I would be happy to look for a monitor thats £250. If you had the choice would you go with a 1080p 144hz or a higher resolution? I think I will be happy staying at 144hz instead of 240hz because that will still be over double what I have now. But in terms of resolution and monitor size what do you reckon will be 'best'?
That depends on the games you play. For example if your playing competitive FPS then I'd go 1080P/144hz VA but for less competitive games such as single player or MMO's then 60 or 75hz is plenty. Then there's 21:9 ultra wides which are great, you get 75hz/IPS which is lower however you get a better peripheral due to the wider screen. I've had both 1080P 144hz and 2560x1080P/75hz and I prefer the ultrawide for Battlefield games. Some games though such as Overwatch don't support 21:9 but Blizzard did that on purpose as they consider that a "unfair advantage" but there other games like Destiny 2, Diablo 3 & WoW support it natively (I know this as I've played all 3 on 21:9).

21:9/75hz:

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: LG - 29WK600-W 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor (£229.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £229.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-17 16:38 BST+0100

1080P/144hz:

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: AOC - C27G1 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (£224.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £224.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-17 16:39 BST+0100

1440P/75hz:

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: AOC - Q3279VWFD8 31.5" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor (£192.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £192.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-17 16:41 BST+0100

All of the above monitors are either VA or IPS and support Freesync.

I have the 34" version of the 21:9 and it's a solid monitor.

Jun 17, 2019
Okay thankyou ever so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this!

I think im leaning more towards the 1080p/144hz monitor as I personally think I'd like it more for the games I play. However im not sure whether I'd want to look into 1440p maybe so that I can get a 27" monitor? Because like you mentioned and I searched it up a little more that 1080p on 27" isnt as well suited.

Edit: I did a little searching around on PC Part Picker but there didnt seem to be alot of options for 1440p 144hz 27" VA that I could see with the price range I was looking for. Alot of the listings didnt have many reviews/price listings available to look through.

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Edit: I did a little searching around on PC Part Picker but there didnt seem to be alot of options for 1440p 144hz 27" VA that I could see with the price range I was looking for. Alot of the listings didnt have many reviews/price listings available to look through.
Your monitor is usually your least upgraded part so if you could get 1440P/144hz then that would be great. You could lower the settings to keep it at a stable 144hz for your fast paced games then increase the graphic settings and keep the FPS around 75-85 for slower paced games with that higher resolution, 27" would be ideal. Just be sure to go with VA or IPS and Freesync. I wouldn't worry if there's few customer reviews as it may be newer but I'd google them for professional reviews.

Jun 17, 2019
Your monitor is usually your least upgraded part so if you could get 1440P/144hz then that would be great. You could lower the settings to keep it at a stable 144hz for your fast paced games then increase the graphic settings and keep the FPS around 75-85 for slower paced games with that higher resolution, 27" would be ideal. Just be sure to go with VA or IPS and Freesync. I wouldn't worry if there's few customer reviews as it may be newer but I'd google them for professional reviews.
I found this but im not sure if its actually the right monitor because of the price? https://www.cclonline.com/product/a...MI5PX9-_jw4gIVmPhRCh0s-w6iEAkYAiABEgI0a_D_BwE

There are a few on PC part picker but its hard to know because it doesnt show the price. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...=256001440,344001440&D=144000&T=1&P=2,4&A=2,1

Jun 17, 2019
That Acer Nitro is nice, only 75hz though if you wanted more.
Ahh right thats why it was much cheaper. Thought someting was wrong about it. Yeah I would much prefer a 144hz monitor. Im happy to spend more as im pretty sure monitors last almost forever haha. I will just keep looking and hopefully find a 1440p 144hz 27" VA or IPS monitor that has a good price. Its hard to tell on PC Part Picker as alot of prices are not listed. Thankyou again for your time and help <3

Jun 17, 2019
Yeah, to be honest im pretty happy to pay £350 for 1440p 144hz 27" because I'd imagine its well worth it. Just maybe some games might not run as well with my 1070 Ti but hopefully that will not be too much of a problem. I will just lower the in-game settings and resolution if I have to.

I will continue looking anyway, if you know or see any monitors with that spec for £350 or around that then let me know if you have the time. Hopefully I can find something though and perhaps order it by today. Thankyou again for the help.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
If you play FPS games like overwatch , csgo or fortnite you will hit minimum 144 frames anyway so you gain NOTHING out of g-sync in competitive play, thats why all pro players have all g-sync freesync turned off, with the exeption of some use dyac which is only in benq monitors.

If you dont use low settings for maximum fps and play games where you get below 144 frames constantly then go with g-sync freesync whatever of your choice.

I have asus vg248qe which was cheap 5 years ago and it still is, it dont have great colors but it is cheap and effective if your on a budget. However this advice is only if you play games competitively above 144 frames

EDIT: if your competitive fps player then you might test what minimum fps you get in games you play before getting a monitor, 1070ti / i7-8700 is a powerful combo

Jun 17, 2019
If you play FPS games like overwatch , csgo or fortnite you will hit minimum 144 frames anyway so you gain NOTHING out of g-sync in competitive play, thats why all pro players have all g-sync freesync turned off, with the exeption of some use dyac which is only in benq monitors.

If you dont use low settings for maximum fps and play games where you get below 144 frames constantly then go with g-sync freesync whatever of your choice.

I have asus vg248qe which was cheap 5 years ago and it still is, it dont have great colors but it is cheap and effective if your on a budget. However this advice is only if you play games competitively above 144 frames

EDIT: if your competitive fps player then you might test what minimum fps you get in games you play before getting a monitor, 1070ti / i7-8700 is a powerful combo
Thankyou for your reply,

Although I do enjoy the occasional competitive game like CS:GO I also play alot of single player/ visually pretty games. This last month I have played a ton of GTA V where you get both single player story mode aswell as slightly 'competitive' online so its kind of a balance between the two.

I brought my monitor last night and ended up going with this: https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en...MIyNK--9Pz4gIVD6WaCh1c5w3eEAkYASABEgJpg_D_BwE

Slightly larger than what I was looking for but I will be using it for things like videos and movies aswell so it should be fine. I live in the UK and it is being shipped from the US so I hope its okay during transit. Also ended up being pretty expensive so I hope it was worth what I paid (£450). I originally wasnt planning to spend that much money at all haha; might have even found more monitors for that money but im sure what i have ordered will be a great upgrade from my current AOC e2243Fw, and will hopefully last me a good number of years.