[SOLVED] What 12 pin cable do I need for my RTX 4070 TI and should both 8 pin CPU connectors be plugged in on my MBD?

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Hello world,

Still trying to re-search stuff when it comes to PC components as im a newbie when it comes to PCs and I am really hoping someone would be able to answer some of the below questions I got. Appreciate 🙏

I got this pre-built PC a few days ago and am trying to upgrade some stuff in there prior even turning it on for the first time i e swap non-modular PSU with a fully modular one, but while attempting to do so I have noticed a couple of things that I'm not sure what to do with.

MSI Gaming Desktop / Aegis RS 13NUF-439US / Intel Core i7 13th Gen 13700KF (3.40GHz)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI -
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-P-WIFI
RAM 32GB DDR5 / ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 32GB (4x8GB) DDR5 4800Mhz CL40 1.1V AX5U4800C408G-BB10
2 TB PCIe SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Current PSU pc came with High Power 750W 80 Gold - model HP1-J750GD-F12S - http://www.highpower-tech.com/Globa...lass=20200723162025&id=20200807174555#product but I have already bought this one CORSAIR RMX Series™ RM850x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply and will be replacing the original one.

1st question I had was: I noticed my 4070 ti has a one single 12 pin connector plug (see pics below), which after checking the net i guess is called some 12V adapter if im not confusing it or something along those lines, and is coming out of my non-modular PSU as a single cable. Pretty much since its a non-modular PSU I see its only got one hole in the back of it where ALL the cables are coming out of including that one thick 12 pin cable for the GPU. But now that i got a fully modular PSU I have noticed that corsair 850x does not have a 12 pin prone/plug, nor was there any 12 pin cables in the package psu came with, which I guess is expected, but with that said could someone please advise exactly what cable I need to buy that would have its one end fitting the back of corsair 850 while the other end would be that 12 pin connector that would connect to GPU, and im really hoping there is a one single cord that exists that I'd need without extensions/adapters? i just dont know how it works...

Video-card-12-pin-connector-2.jpg

Video-card-12-pin-connector-1.jpg

Corsair-new-PSU-850-W.png

...and the 2nd side question I had was that I noticed my motherboard has 2x8 pin CPU plugs at the top of MBD, but only one of them was plugged in. I did a bit of re-search and if im not mistaken I believe it is ok to have just one 8 pinner connected even if you have two of those besides each other and that its possible the 2nd one was not connected due to poor PSU PC came with to draw less power. If that is correct, am I allowed/should I have both plugs connected once I swap existing PSU with corsair? I noticed I do have like 3 x 8 pin CPU wires that came with corsair 850, so im guessing i might as well have both connected, will it make any difference in my day to day tasks, gaming etc or I should just have one connected back as it was?

CPU-2x8-pin-connectors.jpg

I'd really appreciate all the details answers, specifically for the 12 pin video card cord that i need to buy, maybe even a link to amazon, or at least exact name of what to get and that'd be really helpful.

Thanks

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
For GPU cable, use this for Corsair RMx.
Second question - for that CPU you should connect both cables.

Hey, thanks for a quick reply. I do see your link leads to this 600W PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable, but the one i have that I posted a screenshot of above shows its a 300W 12 pin connector, but im bad at this so just wanted to double check that I really need a 600W cord below that it'd be connecting between 4070ti and psu? I wouldn't be causing any component damage by getting a 600W one?

Corsair-12-VHPWR-for-RTX-4070-TI.png

that I really need a 600W cord below that it'd be connecting between 4070ti and psu?
I'm not even sure if Corsair makes 300W cables. But even if they did it would make little sense to buy one. Your PSU is most likely to last much longer then your GPU, so when you next time change GPU would you want to buy another 12 pin cable just because it may need 600W one? It is much better to just buy 600W one now and forget about the issue for the next 10 years.
I wouldn't be causing any component damage by getting a 600W one?
Of course not.

Reactions: fragment0

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
I'm not even sure if Corsair makes 300W cables. But even if they did it would make little sense to buy one. Your PSU is most likely to last much longer then your GPU, so when you next time change GPU would you want to buy another 12 pin cable just because it may need 600W one? It is much better to just buy 600W one now and forget about the issue for the next 10 years.

Of course not.

Ahhhh, perfect, so I guess the 600W just acts as "up to and in between" and doesn't actually mean that if it says 600W then it must be 600W and not lower than that, meaning it can be 300 etc, k coolio, thank you!

Reactions: DRagor