[SOLVED] What 8 core CPUs can I upgrade to with my mobo (i have the latest bios)

AXELRAPUNZEL

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Hi guys! My motherboard is gigabyte z170M-d3h-CF with the bios F22f, which is the latest bios. I want to upgrade to an 8 core cpu. Is this possible with my mobo? And if it is, can you please provide a list of 8 core cpus that i can upgrade to please?

Solution
There aren't any 8 'core' Intel mainstream cpus until you get to the I7-9700k and up. Which is 2nd Gen lga1151, you motherboard is 1st Gen lga1151, so the 2 are not compatible. The best you can do is the 4c/8t i7-7700k, which honestly really isn't much (if any) better than the i7-6700k you have now.

Understand, the cpu sets the fps limit, it's on the gpu to stick that on screen or fail. So if the game allows for 400fps from the cpu, but your gpu can only put up 300fps and you have a 144Hz monitor, you'll see exactly no changes, gpu is still limited to 300fps, monitor can't refresh higher than the 144fps, even if the cpu was capable of 1000fps.

So with what games you play, at their settings, even a large OC can show 0 results for a...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There aren't any 8 'core' Intel mainstream cpus until you get to the I7-9700k and up. Which is 2nd Gen lga1151, you motherboard is 1st Gen lga1151, so the 2 are not compatible. The best you can do is the 4c/8t i7-7700k, which honestly really isn't much (if any) better than the i7-6700k you have now.

Understand, the cpu sets the fps limit, it's on the gpu to stick that on screen or fail. So if the game allows for 400fps from the cpu, but your gpu can only put up 300fps and you have a 144Hz monitor, you'll see exactly no changes, gpu is still limited to 300fps, monitor can't refresh higher than the 144fps, even if the cpu was capable of 1000fps.

So with what games you play, at their settings, even a large OC can show 0 results for a lot of time, cash and effort.

Solution
Curious of your opinion on this:
Even if the monitor can't display that many frames, some people - not me - believe that it further reduces input latency.
Personally, i think that it is possible since the data on screen is more up to date.

However, does this really make you any more competitive, no. Actually practicing and things like that will help you more than a high refresh monitor ever will

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@NightHawkRMX
I don't think it makes one more competitive either. I'm recalling some comments from older threads where people have said that, plus that one ridiculous thread with those BusterBlurs folks...
Skill > everything else, whether it's 120fps or 240, or whatever. Those ultra high refresh screens aren't worth the extra premium.

AXELRAPUNZEL

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017

So with what games you play, at their settings, even a large OC can show 0 results for a lot of time, cash and effort.

Thank you for this!