what about socket a sempron?

jasonv

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I'm looking to build a new machine to hold me over until multi-core gets mainstream. I was at Newegg looking at some of the cheaper Shuttles/Biostars that take a Socket A chip. How will the Sempron 3000(?) ish machines compare to, say, my AMD Athlon running at 1.2GHz? I mostly do web/email/dev stuff on Linux, but I'm likely to go with at least 1 gig RAM since I'm usually opening a ton, ton, ton of apps. I don't play games at all.

Anyway, I realize this is a pretty general question but I'm trying to get up to speed a little more on here. I'm not really a speed junky, I just don't want to buy a stupid setup :).

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
You can also get a s754 mainboard with a new sempron 2600+ for about $ 150,-. Should also be fast because of teh integrated memcontroller and you can upgrade to a much faster cpu later if you think you need it.
The cpu temp will also be lower.

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
What's your budget? For just a few more, you should be able to squeeze a socket 754 A64 in. I'd steer clear from socket A as it's yesterday's technology. My philosophy always is that if you're going to shell out the cash for some PC hardware, may as well get quality parts and spend a little more.

EDIT ~ I'm an idiot, read your post more closely. If you're stuck with staying at socket A <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-342&depa=1" target="_new">this</A> is my pick.

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sh1ft3d on 03/03/05 10:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>