[SOLVED] What about the fans?

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I have purchased a LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH PEROFRMANCE ATX case. I have plugged almost everything into the Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite motherboard... except for the USB cabling and the fans. What I am seeing from YouTube videos is that they can run continuously and are loud. I have also seen numerous aftermarket Fans with hubs and accompanying software.

It has been stated that these (3) Lian fans can be plugged directly ino the MB and the Gigabyte X570 MB SW can be used to configure and or control the RPM of each individual fan.

Should the fan hub that came with the Lian case be used ?If yes, what software can be used manipulate the fan speeds?
Is it best to buy another hub with specific proprietary software? Also, I am not sure if my specific case has the RGB capability. What is the best solution here?

Shown below is my system build, Thanks in advance.

Solution
I agree with BogdanH above. The Hub included in the case is strictly a MANUAL control system. That is, YOU are the controller who needs frequently to assess what workload you are doing, and how to set fan speeds. By what criteria? But if you connect your fans instead to mobo fan headers, their automatic control is based on actual MEASURED temperature at a sensor on the mobo, and it will be adjusted for you all the time according to that temperature. No manual adjustments or worries.

The only item you will need is a simple Splitter for 4-pin fans. Your mobo has two SYS_FAN headers, and you have three case fans. (Do not use the CPU_OPT header for these fans - it is guided by the temperature inside the CPU chip.) A Splitter is a simple...
In general, hub is only used in situation when motherboard doesn't have enough fan connectors for your needs. Most MoBo's have connector for CPU+ three case fans, so in most situations, there's no need for hub.
Don't think about hub as a feature -it's more a solution in need. I prefer connecting fans directly to MoBo, because I can control each fan speed easier (without additional software). That way airflow can be easier controlled inside PC case. That is not always the case if hub is used (depends on hub capability & software used).

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree with BogdanH above. The Hub included in the case is strictly a MANUAL control system. That is, YOU are the controller who needs frequently to assess what workload you are doing, and how to set fan speeds. By what criteria? But if you connect your fans instead to mobo fan headers, their automatic control is based on actual MEASURED temperature at a sensor on the mobo, and it will be adjusted for you all the time according to that temperature. No manual adjustments or worries.

The only item you will need is a simple Splitter for 4-pin fans. Your mobo has two SYS_FAN headers, and you have three case fans. (Do not use the CPU_OPT header for these fans - it is guided by the temperature inside the CPU chip.) A Splitter is a simple device with a female connector to plug into a SYS_FAN header, and two output "arms" each ending in a male (with pins) connector to plug in fans. One of these will have all 4 pins, one will be missing Pin #3, and that is how they should be. The Splitter does NOT have another third type of "arm" that a Hub has to connect to a PSU power output. You do NOT need a Hub for this. Just use the Splitter to connect both your front intake fans to one of the mobo headers; use the other header for the rear fan. See your mobo manual p. 33 on how to configure each header in BIOS Setup. For EACH of the two SYS_FAN headers, ensure that the option for Fan Control Use Temperature Input is set to the motherboard sensor, not the one in the CPU chip. When done, use ESC to get to Main Menu, then F10 to get to Exit Menu. There choose SAVE and EXIT.

Solution

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
In general, hub is only used in situation when motherboard doesn't have enough fan connectors for your needs. Most MoBo's have connector for CPU+ three case fans, so in most situations, there's no need for hub.
Don't think about hub as a feature -it's more a solution in need. I prefer connecting fans directly to MoBo, because I can control each fan speed easier (without additional software). That way airflow can be easier controlled inside PC case. That is not always the case if hub is used (depends on hub capability & software used).
Outstanding!

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016

The only item you will need is a simple Splitter for 4-pin fans. Your mobo has two SYS_FAN headers, and you have three case fans. (Do not use the CPU_OPT header for these fans - it is guided by the temperature inside the CPU chip.) A Splitter is a simple device with a female connector to plug into a SYS_FAN header, and two output "arms" each ending in a male (with pins) connector to plug in fans. One of these will have all 4 pins, one will be missing Pin #3, and that is how they should be. The Splitter does NOT have another third type of "arm" that a Hub has to connect to a PSU power output. You do NOT need a Hub for this. Just use the Splitter to connect both your front intake fans to one of the mobo headers; use the other header for the rear fan. See your mobo manual p. 33 on how to configure each header in BIOS Setup. For EACH of the two SYS_FAN headers, ensure that the option for Fan Control Use Temperature Input is set to the motherboard sensor, not the one in the CPU chip. When done, use ESC to get to Main Menu, then F10 to get to Exit Menu. There choose SAVE and EXIT.
Outstanding again! Can you and BogdanH split a Trophy?

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Outstanding!
Weird to piggyback of of a closed post but the topic is still the same.

I am struggling with the connection of the three Lian chassis fans. On the top front of the case there is a fan speed control with L,M,H& MB modes. Inside the case they connect to a 4-pin wire that plugs into a fan header on the Motherboard. In addition there is also a 15P SATA connector coming off of the case that, according to the Lian configuration instructions, is supposed to go to the PSU. The problem is that there is no such socket on my power supply. Do0es the 15P SATA connector wire really need to be plugged in? Not sure of these connections to the Fan hub mentioned above. Also, I will not be running RGB.

I'm guessing that this fan speed control on the top of the case should not be connected if the 3 case fans will plug directly into the MOB, right? I am thinking that since the three fans will run off of the motherboard and will be automatic instead of the use of a manual setting provided by the case mounted fan speed control.

Thoughts?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Quite right - you do not need to connect case fans the the case control system if you plan only to have the fans controlled by the mobo headers. The system that is part of the case has two main reasons to use. One is if, for whatever reason, you choose not to use any mobo control systems and do it all yourself with the manual selector buttons. The other is if you want to use both systems. Some users like to let the mobo do its automatic temperature-guided thing, but also want the power to force the fans to a particular fixed speed in certain situations. The latter option can be done via setting s in BIOS Setup, but top-mounted buttons may be simpler.

Regarding the power connection, that MAY be solely for use by the case's fan control system. Or, it might also provide power to other case-mounted items like light strips. Anyway, it plugs into a PSU output connector on a cable that would "normally" be used to plug into a SATA device to provide it with power. The cable you mention does NOT plug into a socket on the side of a PSU with modular cable sets.

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Quite right - you do not need to connect case fans the the case control system if you plan only to have the fans controlled by the mobo headers. The system that is part of the case has two main reasons to use. One is if, for whatever reason, you choose not to use any mobo control systems and do it all yourself with the manual selector buttons. The other is if you want to use both systems. Some users like to let the mobo do its automatic temperature-guided thing, but also want the power to force the fans to a particular fixed speed in certain situations. The latter option can be done via setting s in BIOS Setup, but top-mounted buttons may be simpler.

Regarding the power connection, that MAY be solely for use by the case's fan control system. Or, it might also provide power to other case-mounted items like light strips. Anyway, it plugs into a PSU output connector on a cable that would "normally" be used to plug into a SATA device to provide it with power. The cable you mention does NOT plug into a socket on the side of a PSU with modular cable sets.
Awesome, I will keep going, leave this thread open and post again if needed. Thanks.