What ADSL Modem Router ? Not wireless

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.

Looked at the Netgear DG834G. Although it had loads of good features
it had issues when dealing with P2P programs.
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp

I'm not to bothered with wireless yet as I feel it is still in its
infancy, and the cost is to high.

Looking to spend at MAX £70.00 uk

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <n4qmk0t19nu7h3lakj2cdustlbdukt34ul@4ax.com>, codeblue
says...
> I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
> good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
> programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.
>
> Looked at the Netgear DG834G. Although it had loads of good features
> it had issues when dealing with P2P programs.
> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp
>
> I'm not to bothered with wireless yet as I feel it is still in its
> infancy, and the cost is to high.

Look for routers supporting UPnP

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

shawk

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <n4qmk0t19nu7h3lakj2cdustlbdukt34ul@4ax.com>, codeblue
> says...
>> I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
>> good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
>> programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.
>>
>> Looked at the Netgear DG834G. Although it had loads of good features
>> it had issues when dealing with P2P programs.
>> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp
>>
>> I'm not to bothered with wireless yet as I feel it is still in its
>> infancy, and the cost is to high.
>>
> Look for routers supporting UPnP
>
> --
> Conor
>
> Opinions personal, facts suspect.

DG834 here (not 'G'). Never had an issue with P2P. Shaun

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:11:35 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <n4qmk0t19nu7h3lakj2cdustlbdukt34ul@4ax.com>, codeblue
>> says...
>>> I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
>>> good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
>>> programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.
>>>
>>> Looked at the Netgear DG834. Although it had loads of good features
>>> it had issues when dealing with P2P programs.
>>> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp
>>>
>>> I'm not to bothered with wireless yet as I feel it is still in its
>>> infancy, and the cost is to high.
>>>
>> Look for routers supporting UPnP
>>
>> --
>> Conor
>>
>> Opinions personal, facts suspect.
>
>DG834 here (not 'G'). Never had an issue with P2P. Shaun

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

You want the D-link 604 router, cheap, good,
reliable, popular, and award winning.

"codeblue" <boo@boo.com> wrote in message
> I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
> good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
> programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.
>
> Looked at the Netgear DG834G. Although it had loads of good features
> it had issues when dealing with P2P programs.
> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp
>
> I'm not to bothered with wireless yet as I feel it is still in its
> infancy, and the cost is to high.
>
> Looking to spend at MAX £70.00 uk
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Ooops, you wanted a built-in modem? Sorry,
no built-in modem with the 604.

"Raymond" <StopSpam@Now.net> wrote in message news:pQW2d.1531$Co1.1330@trnddc02...
> You want the D-link 604 router, cheap, good,
> reliable, popular, and award winning.
>
> "codeblue" <boo@boo.com> wrote in message
> > I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
> > good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
> > programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.
> >
> > Looked at the Netgear DG834G. Although it had loads of good features
> > it had issues when dealing with P2P programs.
> > http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp
> >
> > I'm not to bothered with wireless yet as I feel it is still in its
> > infancy, and the cost is to high.
> >
> > Looking to spend at MAX £70.00 uk
> >
> > Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

peter

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <n4qmk0t19nu7h3lakj2cdustlbdukt34ul@4ax.com>, boo@boo.com
says...
> I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
> good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
> programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.
>
> Looked at the Netgear DG834G. Although it had loads of good features
> it had issues when dealing with P2P programs.
> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp
>
> I'm not to bothered with wireless yet as I feel it is still in its
> infancy, and the cost is to high.
>
> Looking to spend at MAX £70.00 uk
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

I have that router and have used KaZaa without any noticeable
issues/slowdowns. Often web browsing/ downloading other progs etc from
sites without a problem. I do have a 1 megabit connection. Not sure
what they tested their's on, though seems like they may also have used 1
megabit.

--
Pete Ives

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:55:27 +0100, codeblue <boo@boo.com>
wrote:

>I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
>good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
>programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.

"Must" and "want" are two different things. You may end up
with better gear by getting separates, and if you stack them
they won't take up addt'l space either.

>Looked at the Netgear DG834G. Although it had loads of good features
>it had issues when dealing with P2P programs.
>http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp

Maybe, or maybe that reviewer's system had configuration
problems, and/or P2P config problem.
If you want one, I suggest buying from someplace with a good
return policy and trying it. Some places may charge 15%,
but if you have to spend a lot of time looking around, that
might be worthwhile risk... it may work fine. I see a pic
on that review of outbound traffic being logged... could be
that disabling that is a fix with P2P, or simply that
another router not logging outbound traffic works ok, simply
due to omission of this feature.

Main question is, do you really NEED any particular features
beyond those on any contemporary cheap consumer grade router
or just any-old router with NAT and a built-in switch would
suffice?

>I'm not to bothered with wireless yet as I feel it is still in its
>infancy, and the cost is to high.

Naw, might as well get a wireless router, the cost
difference is very slight these days and it opens up a lot
more potential. If you wait till everything is past it's
"infancy", you can't very well buy ANYTHING, since
technology always changes.

>Looking to spend at MAX £70.00 uk
>
>Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

Don't know uk pricing, can't help there.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"codeblue" <boo@boo.com> wrote in message
> I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
> good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
> programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.

"MUST" have a modem built in? Why?

It will almost definately cost more since it would be a small market
specialty device. Also, if one part breaks you'll have to replace the whole
thing.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:35:43 GMT, "Raymond" <StopSpam@Now.net> wrote:

> You want the D-link 604 router, cheap, good,
> reliable, popular, and award winning.

With a lot of problems!
(harware and software)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:13:12 +0200, Ken <___ken3@telia.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:35:43 GMT, "Raymond" <StopSpam@Now.net> wrote:
>
>> You want the D-link 604 router, cheap, good,
>> reliable, popular, and award winning.
>
>With a lot of problems!
>(harware and software)

Problems doing what?

Used to have one, worked fine.
Still have a 704, works fine.
Have a 614 also, also works fine.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:20:46 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>>> You want the D-link 604 router, cheap, good,
>>> reliable, popular, and award winning.
>>
>> With a lot of problems!
>>(harware and software)
>
> Problems doing what?
>
> Used to have one, worked fine.
> Still have a 704, works fine.
> Have a 614 also, also works fine.

Big problems i Sweden.
D-Link replace some routers that hang.
Some have heat problem and other problems.
Not all have problems, but to many.
I would never buy at D-Link.

"Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message

> >> With a lot of problems!
> >>(harware and software)
> >
> > Problems doing what?
> >
> > Used to have one, worked fine.
> > Still have a 704, works fine.
> > Have a 614 also, also works fine.
>
> Big problems i Sweden.
> D-Link replace some routers that hang.
> Some have heat problem and other problems.
> Not all have problems, but to many.
> I would never buy at D-Link.

I only buy D-Link. I also use their NICs,
and have previously used their switches too,
and never had a single significant problem
whatsoever. Not in Sweden though, U.S. here!

Robert

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In message <n4qmk0t19nu7h3lakj2cdustlbdukt34ul@4ax.com>, codeblue
<boo@boo.com> writes
>I need a router for home use, connecting 3 machines. It must have a
>good firewall and an ADSL modem built in. I need it to handle P2P
>programs with out any sluggishness to the rest of my PC or net use.
>
>Looked at the Netgear DG834G. Although it had loads of good features
>it had issues when dealing with P2P programs.
>http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp
>
>I'm not to bothered with wireless yet as I feel it is still in its
>infancy, and the cost is to high.
>
>Looking to spend at MAX £70.00 uk
>
>Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

IF you can stretch your budget a bit broadbandbuyer.com have the DrayTek
Vigor 2500 at £85.13 - an excellent piece of kit.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=725
--
Robert

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.routers,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I just setup a Linksys WAG54G here to feed 4 comps (wired) plus enable three
wireless connections for laptops. Sooooo easy....
BruceM

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in news:MGY2d.41769$%S.30384@pd7tw2no:

> It will almost definately cost more since it would be a small market
> specialty device. Also, if one part breaks you'll have to replace the
> whole thing.

In the UK on ADSL its a very popular solution. esp with integrated Switch.
Definitely not a small market. Look at any UK ADSL site (or UK technology
retailer)

The price difference is not that big either.
--
Lordy