What air cooler for i7-7700(k) and i7-8700(k)?

Mar 5, 2018
Hello, as the title says, what cooler should I get for i7-7700(k) or i7-8700(k)?
I would never overclock, I'll hardcore game on it, sometimes I'll do some photoshoping and video editing but nothing too hard.
Mainly for gaming, so let's say on 90% usage, I would like to have CPU temperature on ~60(°C).

I would like when you recommend me a good air cooler, also to tell me if my current motherboard will support it.
MB: AsRock H110-DVS
(I know that this motherboard doesn't support coffee lake)

Solution
If you are not going to overclock, then you dont need a fancy cooler as they will perform similarly. The only difference is noise. If you are worried about noise, then you cant go wrong with Noctua.

Here is a good cooler from Cryorig:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRHDTW
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRHDTW/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $34.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-25 09:59 EDT-0400

Noctua is the Lexus of air coolers. If keeping noise down is your goal, then you cant go wrong with this cooler, but I would not recommend overclocking with it. But...
If you are not going to overclock, then you dont need a fancy cooler as they will perform similarly. The only difference is noise. If you are worried about noise, then you cant go wrong with Noctua.

Here is a good cooler from Cryorig:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRHDTW
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRHDTW/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $34.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-25 09:59 EDT-0400

Noctua is the Lexus of air coolers. If keeping noise down is your goal, then you cant go wrong with this cooler, but I would not recommend overclocking with it. But running stock settings should be fine.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gGXZ8d
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gGXZ8d/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.19 @ Newegg)
Total: $39.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-25 10:03 EDT-0400

Solution
Mar 5, 2018
Thanks, I can get NH-L9i but Cryorig is company that isn't popular in my country at all and I can't get it from Ebay/Amazon because of enormous taxes...

If you can tell me, if you know, how good is Noctua NH-U12S compared to what you recommended?
If that will be good, I'll get Noctua NH-U12S.
I will never overclock i7-8700, but I've seen that base clock is 3.2GHz, and when you game on it, there goes turbo clock which pushes all the way to 4.0GHz, so I'm a bit sceptic about that, more frequency, more temperature...

Thanks for this btw.

The NH-U12S is a good cooler. Better than the one that I selected, it the NH-L9i is low profile and quiet. If you are not going to overclock, both are the same. But if you ever want to overclock, the NH-U12S is better option.

If you are getting the 8700 (non k), it will come with a stock cooler and it will be enough to handle the CPU and the CPU turbo. The only reason to go for an aftermarket cooler for the 8700 is because you don’t like the noise of the stock cooler.

If it were me, and I was never going to overclock, I would not pay the extra premium of the “k” CPUs. I would go with a non-k variant and use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU.

Mar 5, 2018

Okey so I'm definitely going with i7-8700 non K, also it's cheaper. The thing is that I'm going to use CPU also as GPU for around 6 months, only searching internet and watching youtube. After 6 months I HOPE that new GPU generation will arrive...
As that said, I can also wait for a GPU and then buy aftermarket CPU cooler (Noctua NH-U12S)?

You really dont need to buy an aftermarket cooler for the 8700. Your system will perform exactly the same, even if you are running on integrated graphics. The only reason you would want an aftermarket cooler for the 8700 is because you dont like the noise of the stock Intel coolers. They are kinda noisy. Must suggestion is to buy the 8700 and install the stock cooler. Check out the temps and the noise. If you are satisfied, move on, if you dont like the temps or noise, then look at a cooler then.

Mar 5, 2018

So during gaming at full load with stock cooler, will CPU temp go over 70?
I want to maintain it around 50-60 so I hope that NH-U12S will be enough because I think stock cooler wouldn't be...

There is nothing wrong with the CPU going over 70C. I cant say what temp a 8700 will be under full load with a stock cooler, but I can say that the temperature will be well within Intel's temperature requirements for that CPU. Maintaining 50-60C temperatures of the CPU will not have any better performance or increase the lifespan of the chip in any effective manner.

Intel ships the cooler with the 8700 for a reason. Because it is more than adequate to keep the CPU cool. Intel has had adequate amount of testing done on the 8700 with the stock cooler. The only issue with the stock cooler is it is loud.

Mar 5, 2018

Okay, thank you so much. Just one more question.
I'll be using stock Intel cooler for some time, and when I get in buying a GPU, I'll get better CPU cooler and that will be NH-U12S, so can you tell me approximately what will temperatures be? I am constantly searching for some tests on YT but the only thing I found is: i7-4790K on 4.4GHz with NH-U12S, temperatures under load are 65-70. So by looking at this, I see that U12S is a decent cooler but I don't know how much i7 4gen is different from i7 8gen CPU in terms of temperatures and I can't find U12S test with i7-8700 (non K).

Thank you in advance.

Your going to have trouble finding that information online because very few people are going to buy an 8700 and install a NH-U12S. The 4790k has a TDP of 88 watts, and the 8700 has a TDP of 65 watts. So on paper, the 8700 should be cooler because it has less power to dissipate. But there are more factors to play because each chip is different.

Mar 5, 2018

Thank you so much for your time and sorry if I was strenuous.
I'll think about it. If I buy NH-U12S I'll post benchmarks on YT for i7-8700 with that cooler.

Again thank you so much for taking your time to help me.

TRENDING THREADS