what all will need to be re-downloaded for windows 10 tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm-carbon

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Ok so with the release of windows 10 tomorrow I have a couple of questions. Since I am downloading a new operating system will I have to re-install everything for my parts? To clarify I have a graphics card disk that I had to put in my computer and install when I first built and turned on my computer. Will I have to put that disk in again or no? The same goes with the other parts. My other question. I have steam on my computer so can I take game files from my computer now and just put them back in when the new operating system is done and will I be ready to game right after the operating system is done downloading or will I have to re-download all my games from steam again?

Thanks for the help guys
tm-carbon

Solution
Since I am downloading a new operating system will I have to re-install everything for my parts? To clarify I have a graphics card disk that I had to put in my computer and install when I first built and turned on my computer.
You shouldn't need to. It's an upgrade, but if it needs new drivers it should be able to download them as part of Windows Update. This is arguably better than installing off the disk, because you get newer drivers.

I have steam on my computer so can I take game files from my computer now and just put them back in when the new operating system is done and will I be ready to game right after the operating system is done downloading or will I have to re-download all my games from steam again?
You...
Since I am downloading a new operating system will I have to re-install everything for my parts? To clarify I have a graphics card disk that I had to put in my computer and install when I first built and turned on my computer.
You shouldn't need to. It's an upgrade, but if it needs new drivers it should be able to download them as part of Windows Update. This is arguably better than installing off the disk, because you get newer drivers.

I have steam on my computer so can I take game files from my computer now and just put them back in when the new operating system is done and will I be ready to game right after the operating system is done downloading or will I have to re-download all my games from steam again?
You shouldn't need to even take them off. It's just an upgrade (like Win8 > Win8.1), so you shouldn't need to reinstall anything.

Solution

tm-carbon

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Even if my current operating system is windows 7 it will be considered an update? I've been seeing that it will delete all files because it is a new operating system.

USAFRet

Titan
You should not have to reinstall anything. If it goes OK.
It probably will go OK, but anything you cannot bear to lose, have backed up elsewhere and offline. Just in case.

Usernames/passwords/serial numbers, etc, etc
Irreplaceable pics of your kid/dog/girlfriend
The single copy of a school term paper

Stuff like that.

As said, it should go OK. But with a major change like this, there is always the possibility of fail.
Laptop gets dropped.
Power cord gets kicked out halfway through
Some major burp in the upgrade process

Better safe than sorry.

USAFRet

Titan

No, it is an Upgrade.
Where did you read that it will delete everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.