[SOLVED] What am I doing wrong? Ryzen can't handle multiple Excel spreadsheets?

198four

Prominent
Feb 26, 2021
Guys, I recently upgraded my system to add new Asus X-570 board, Ryzen 3600 and 32GB ram. I have an SSD hard drive.

I don't experience any issues at all. However, when I open multiple spreadsheets, i notice some lag when editing cells. Shouldn't this PC be able to handle it without any issues?

Also, how can i enable quickboot on Asus TUF gaming x-570 board? It takes like 40 seconds to get to main screen. Is that normal? My old intel i7-4790K would start quicker than this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have latest bios for motherboard?

what make/model ssd? 40 seconds is a little slow, I have nvme and its literally right after the flash screen, if I didn't use a pin it would be instant to desktop.

wonder if excel saves changes to files on fly or only saves changes if it needs the ram. With 32gb that would happen at shutdown most likely otherwise. I don't have any big spreadsheets to test as my PC is a Gigabyte X570, 32gb ram and 3600xt.

Also, how can i enable quickboot on Asus TUF gaming x-570 board?
only one I see is fast boot, its on the Boot tab of the bios. See page 41 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

is it slow at the boot flash screen or loading windows?

Guys, I recently upgraded my system to add new Asus X-570 board, Ryzen 3600 and 32GB ram. I have an SSD hard drive.

I don't experience any issues at all. However, when I open multiple spreadsheets, i notice some lag when editing cells. Shouldn't this PC be able to handle it without any issues?

Also, how can i enable quickboot on Asus TUF gaming x-570 board? It takes like 40 seconds to get to main screen. Is that normal? My old intel i7-4790K would start quicker than this.
Did you do a clean installation of Windows after the 'upgrade'?

198four

Prominent
Feb 26, 2021
Thanks a lot for the replies fellas. I did upgrade to latest bios and yes i did a clean reinstall of windows.

Quickboot seems to be enabled but the load screen (with TUF GAMING LOGO) is what takes a few seconds to come up. SSD is Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

Another thing i did was to run same files on my laptop that has 4700U processor and there was no lag at all. I am guessing that maybe its my SSD that's the bottleneck but it shouldn't be? SSD's are supposed to be relatively fast for these kinda tasks no?

My next step is to disconnect all the accessories and internal devices except the main HDD and try to see what I can find.

Will report back.

Thanks again

198four

Prominent
Feb 26, 2021
So I did some troubleshooting. Turns out that when I disconnect external hard drive, the excel lag is gone. However, when I switch between windows I still notice that transition animation isn't smooth. I'm guessing my ssd is good enough? I have 2 other internal drives.. One of them is a 1 tb sata Hdd.

Blackink

Distinguished
When you did the clean install of Windows, did you disconnect those other hard drives first so only the SSD was plugged in and ready for the OS?
I've heard that having other hard drives plugged during a Windows install sometimes messes up and put some files on those other hard drives.

198four

Prominent
Feb 26, 2021
When you did the clean install of Windows, did you disconnect those other hard drives first so only the SSD was plugged in and ready for the OS?
I've heard that having other hard drives plugged during a Windows install sometimes messes up and put some files on those other hard drives.
Yup I did. All the other drives were disconnected until after the install

198four

Prominent
Feb 26, 2021
It might be worth mentioning that all the drivers were picked up from windows updates. I did not install drivers from asus website