[SOLVED] What am I doing wrong?

Jan 6, 2020
I have a dell xps 8700 i7 4790 16gb ram. I upgraded the gpu from the oem gtx 745 to a GeForce gtx 1650 oc 4gb because every time I tried to update the 745 driver my computer would crash. Now the 1650 shows up as a standard vga adapter. I read hundreds of posts and tried everything but nothing works. If I reinstall the 745 everything works but I still can’t update the driver without crashing. I want to be able to play RDR2 on my pc. I know that lots of people have upgraded their gpu’s and everything went fine for them but I’m having a lot of problems. Someone please help

Solution
I wish you would have mentioned that your were still using W7. Although, I presume you downloaded the W7 driver and not the W10 driver. Anyway, you have a better more secure OS now with W10. And yes, MS never discontinued the free upgrade. I have upgraded several old W7 PCs since the "official" end of the free update.
Jan 6, 2020
Nope. Computer won’t start up normally. Doing same thing it’s done every time I try anything any other topic has suggested. I’m at a loss. I’m really frustrated. It’s a good pc. All I want to do is upgrade the gpu. Arg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
And ccleaner deleted my system restore point I created earlier so now my computer won’t work at all. Fml
CCleaner has never deleted any of my system restore points. And I've used it for years. Lots of years. You would have had to set it to do that.
Check to see if they are actually gone by following the link above.

Reactions: SprJr
Jan 6, 2020
I’m out of town away from my computer right now. But I did find a good older restore point before I left so that’s good. I’m still baffled as to why I can’t upgrade my gpu though.

Jan 6, 2020
Well I don’t exactly know what I did but I finally got it working. The only thing I did different than the other 9k attempts was I finally upgraded from win 7 sp1 to win 10(through the windows free upgrade that isn’t supposed to work anymore). After upgrading the OS I was able to update the 745 oem driver. After that was all working correctly I swapped out the gpu’s...did a little keyboard finagling and voila!..everything works beautifully I would like to thank everyone for all your suggestions. I had almost given up. My pc has new life now. I had already upgraded to an ssd(that also took forever). I also put a new battery in. I’m going to upgrade the ram to 32gb next and then see what other upgrades I can do to it. THANK YOU!!!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I wish you would have mentioned that your were still using W7. Although, I presume you downloaded the W7 driver and not the W10 driver. Anyway, you have a better more secure OS now with W10. And yes, MS never discontinued the free upgrade. I have upgraded several old W7 PCs since the "official" end of the free update.

Reactions: SprJr
Solution
Jan 6, 2020
Yeah I realize now there are a few things I should have specified. Such as using win 7 and using the onboard graphics as well as the 745 together. I just preferred the user interface of win 7 since I used it for years and was accustomed to it. I originally had win 8 but that sucked so I downgraded to 7 and loved it. I also liked having gadgets. I just found gadgets for 10 though so... Oh well. Atleast everything is perfect now. I’m seriously loving it. Although I plan on building my own gaming pc very soon. Thank you for your assistance!