What am I doing wrong ?

I have a D-Link DI-614+ the one with twin antennas (rev A ? ) which
appears to work well , I can connect to it via my Sony Vaio laptop using a
D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ without any problems at all , but I have just been
given an Acer laptop and a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G+ DWL-G650+ card and I
cannot get it to connect to the router no matter what I do . If I run
netstumbler the G+ card can see the router as well as another router locally
(on a different channel) . I have tried the non G card in the Acer and that
works . Am I right in assuming that the G+ card should be backward
compatible with the b router or is this the problem ?

Any ideas gratefully received

Cheers

Mike

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:16:23 +0100, "Mike Jones Super Hero"
<notvalid@despammed.com> wrote:

> I have a D-Link DI-614+ the one with twin antennas (rev A ? ) which
>appears to work well , I can connect to it via my Sony Vaio laptop using a
>D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ without any problems at all , but I have just been
>given an Acer laptop and a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G+ DWL-G650+ card and I
>cannot get it to connect to the router no matter what I do . If I run
>netstumbler the G+ card can see the router as well as another router locally
>(on a different channel) . I have tried the non G card in the Acer and that
>works . Am I right in assuming that the G+ card should be backward
>compatible with the b router or is this the problem ?

It "should" work. An 802.11g card should be downward compatible with
802.11b. The fact that NetStumbler can see the 802.11b only access
point underscores that it should be compatible. Therefore, it has to
be something to make it incompatible. My guess(tm) is:

1. Your WEP keys are out of sync. There have been a few reports and
comments from DLink that ASCII WEP keys are "unreliable" and that one
should use Hexadecimal keys. I've never seen this, but it's possible.
This might help:
http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html
If this is the case, I would be interested in the firmware versions.
I have a DI-614+ (with the two antennas) in my office and a DWL-G650+
card in stock. If it really is a WEP incompatibility issue, I wanna
try it.

2. You might wanna disable the "Wireless Zero Config" service and use
the DLink utility instead.

3. You have something set in the DWL-G650+ that says something like
"use only G or high data rate speeds" or perhaps a fixed speed. This
is common on some 802.11g access points. I dunno if it exists in the
DWL-G650+ setup.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

JM

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:16:23 +0100, Mike Jones Super Hero scribbled:

> I have a D-Link DI-614+ the one with twin antennas (rev A ? ) which
> appears to work well , I can connect to it via my Sony Vaio laptop using a
> D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ without any problems at all , but I have just been
> given an Acer laptop and a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G+ DWL-G650+ card and I
> cannot get it to connect to the router no matter what I do . If I run
> netstumbler the G+ card can see the router as well as another router
> locally (on a different channel) . I have tried the non G card in the Acer
> and that works . Am I right in assuming that the G+ card should be
> backward compatible with the b router or is this the problem ?
>
> Any ideas gratefully received
>

> Cheers
>
> Mike

compatibility between hardware is not garaunteed, stick with the same
manufacture with wi-fi hardware.

--
NEMO SALTAT SOBRIUS NISI FORTE INSANIT.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

And if the DI-614+ is using 22Mbps PBCC, I wouldn't necessarily assume it
will interoperate with all the other adapters. The DWL-G650+ documentation
claims back-compatibility with "802.11b+", but I'm not sure how inclusive
that is. If there's a way to disable 22 Mbps, I suggest trying that.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:02:25 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>And if the DI-614+ is using 22Mbps PBCC, I wouldn't necessarily assume it
>will interoperate with all the other adapters. The DWL-G650+ documentation
>claims back-compatibility with "802.11b+", but I'm not sure how inclusive
>that is. If there's a way to disable 22 Mbps, I suggest trying that.

Good idea. Despite owning a DI-614+, I never even noticed that it
would do the 22Mbit/sec pre-802.11g data rate. I had lots of trouble
getting a DWL-900AP+ with the 22Mbit/sec rate enabled to connect to an
802.11b only access point. Not exactly the same problem, but
definately a possibility.

See:
http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di614+/emulator/adv_perform.htm
and move the Tx Rates down to 1-11Mbits/sec.

Drivel: I've had this DI-614+ for about 2 months and never even
noticed that it can do 22Mbits/sec. Ooops.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:43:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:02:25 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
>wrote:
>
>>And if the DI-614+ is using 22Mbps PBCC, I wouldn't necessarily assume it
>>will interoperate with all the other adapters. The DWL-G650+ documentation
>>claims back-compatibility with "802.11b+", but I'm not sure how inclusive
>>that is. If there's a way to disable 22 Mbps, I suggest trying that.
>
>Good idea. Despite owning a DI-614+, I never even noticed that it
>would do the 22Mbit/sec pre-802.11g data rate. I had lots of trouble
>getting a DWL-900AP+ with the 22Mbit/sec rate enabled to connect to an
>802.11b only access point. Not exactly the same problem, but
>definately a possibility.
>
>See:
> http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di614+/emulator/adv_perform.htm
>and move the Tx Rates down to 1-11Mbits/sec.
>
>Drivel: I've had this DI-614+ for about 2 months and never even
>noticed that it can do 22Mbits/sec. Ooops.

The plot thickens. I logged into my office DI-614+ remotely and
noticed that there was this box on the bottom of the wireless page
http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di614+/emulator/adv_perform.htm
inscribed:
4x mode [ ]enable [ ]disable
I'd never noticed that. So, I dig into the support pile and find:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1245
which declares:
"If you are using non-4X adapters in your wireless network,
performance will degrade if 4X is enabled."
Ummmm... perhaps we should turn it off?

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

> If this is the case, I would be interested in the firmware versions.
> I have a DI-614+ (with the two antennas) in my office and a DWL-G650+
> card in stock. If it really is a WEP incompatibility issue, I wanna
> try it.

This is my Firmware Version: 2.10 , Fri, 22 Nov 2002

> 2. You might wanna disable the "Wireless Zero Config" service and use
> the DLink utility instead.

Just did that didn't make any difference

> 3. You have something set in the DWL-G650+ that says something like
> "use only G or high data rate speeds" or perhaps a fixed speed. This
> is common on some 802.11g access points. I dunno if it exists in the
> DWL-G650+ setup

Set to basic rates to 1-2-5.5-11(Mbps) and TX rates to
1-2-5.5-11-22(Mbps) and whoo hoo ......success we have a connection

Nice One Jeff

--

We have ignition !!!!!

"Mike Jones Super Hero" <notvalid@despammed.com> wrote in

> [...]

D-Link has a bad habit of re-using model names/numbers when the
products themselves are entirely different.

This is true for certain of the products in this case: the DWL-650,
DWL-650+, DWL-G650, DWL-G650+ are *entirely* different products.

You have the correct products fro maximum compatibility with your
router: the clue is in the + which in the case of D-Link means they
are based on a wireless chipset from Texas Intruments.

The so-called 802.11b+ products (DI-614+, DWL-650+) use the TI
ACX100, the DWL-G650+ uses the TI TNETW1130. All these products
include PBCC modulation (an option in 802.11g) and support the 22
Mbit/s speed (also an option in 802.11g). This is the highest speed
you will get with your setup.

The earlier post about compatibility with SuperG etc is not relevant
- this is a proprietary extension using the Atheros wireless chipset.
and your D-Link products use a TI wireless chipset.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:43:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
> <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:02:25 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>And if the DI-614+ is using 22Mbps PBCC, I wouldn't necessarily assume
it
> >>will interoperate with all the other adapters. The DWL-G650+
documentation
> >>claims back-compatibility with "802.11b+", but I'm not sure how
inclusive
> >>that is. If there's a way to disable 22 Mbps, I suggest trying that.
> >
> >Good idea. Despite owning a DI-614+, I never even noticed that it
> >would do the 22Mbit/sec pre-802.11g data rate. I had lots of trouble
> >getting a DWL-900AP+ with the 22Mbit/sec rate enabled to connect to an
> >802.11b only access point. Not exactly the same problem, but
> >definately a possibility.
> >
> >See:
> > http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di614+/emulator/adv_perform.htm
> >and move the Tx Rates down to 1-11Mbits/sec.
> >
> >Drivel: I've had this DI-614+ for about 2 months and never even
> >noticed that it can do 22Mbits/sec. Ooops.
>
> The plot thickens. I logged into my office DI-614+ remotely and
> noticed that there was this box on the bottom of the wireless page
> http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di614+/emulator/adv_perform.htm
> inscribed:
> 4x mode [ ]enable [ ]disable
> I'd never noticed that. So, I dig into the support pile and find:
> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1245
> which declares:
> "If you are using non-4X adapters in your wireless network,
> performance will degrade if 4X is enabled."
> Ummmm... perhaps we should turn it off?

Good question. My guess would be that this is akin to saying that if you mix
802.11b and 802.11g devices, performance will degrade (but not significantly
below 802.11b highest bitrates). My uneducated guess would be that a mix of
D-Link 4x and non-4x adapters is expected (by D-Link) to downgrade to
standard 802.11b bitrates. D-Link has said that it only recommends using 4x
mode if all of the network elements are Airplus, so they expect it might
break if you have other vendors in the mix.

I also found a reference:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/FAQ-18-DLink+Wireless-0.php#475

that indicates that early revisions of the DI-614+ firmware can cause
Centrino laptops to crash during association, with or without 4x mode. Can't
tell from the article if there's a fix for the 614+ (there is one for the
900-AP+), but this suggests some flakiness experienced by clients trying to
associate with DI-614+.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:29:42 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Good question. My guess would be that this is akin to saying that if you mix
>802.11b and 802.11g devices, performance will degrade (but not significantly
>below 802.11b highest bitrates). My uneducated guess would be that a mix of
>D-Link 4x and non-4x adapters is expected (by D-Link) to downgrade to
>standard 802.11b bitrates. D-Link has said that it only recommends using 4x
>mode if all of the network elements are Airplus, so they expect it might
>break if you have other vendors in the mix.

My guess is that since enabling the 4X mode radically chances the
fragmentation threshold and "normal" data rate, methinks Dlink is
doing something quite different. I suspect that they've:
1. Increased the fragmentation threshold so it only sends big
packets.
2. Increased the CTS/RTS threshold so that it NEVER sends flow
control frames. This will work if you don't have other nearby radios,
but will cause chronic collisions in a crowded environment.
3. Prevent the radio from slowing down to 802.11 (1-2Mbits/sec)
rates. Never mind that some radios don't understand management frames
at any speed other than 1Mbit/sec.
4. Decrease the beacon rate to reduce wasted airtime.
5. Crank up the DTIM message interval so that other radios will wait
longer to listen for broadcasts leaving lots of airtime for the 4X
radios.

>I also found a reference:
>http://www.tomsnetworking.com/FAQ-18-DLink+Wireless-0.php#475
>
>that indicates that early revisions of the DI-614+ firmware can cause
>Centrino laptops to crash during association, with or without 4x mode. Can't
>tell from the article if there's a fix for the 614+ (there is one for the
>900-AP+), but this suggests some flakiness experienced by clients trying to
>associate with DI-614+.

Any failure can be adequately explained by a suitable conspiracy
theory. When DLink cranks up the size of the average packet, ignores
flow control, and drops the inter-packet delay, it's assumed that the
receiving radio is capable of buffering the incoming traffic.
Centrino, where everything is done is software, was probably designed
for typical 11Mbit/sec traffic rates. I probably overflowed some
buffer trying to digest 4 times as much data as expected. This is
pure speculation on my part but sorta assigns the blame to the
appropriate party. Netgear also had to issue firmware updates to get
their access points to work with Centrino. I had an MR814 that would
lurch and hiccup its way through wireless transfers to/from a Toshiba
Centrino laptop, that was magically fixed by a firmware update.

I have 3 fairly new Centrino based laptops in the office complex
mooching off my DI-614+ wireless connection. No problems after the
usual Windoze XP updates with 4X turned on. I guess it's fixed. I
just turned off 4X and will find out Monday if anyone complains.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

"gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> "Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:43:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
>> <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

> it
> documentation
> inclusive

>> The plot thickens. I logged into my office DI-614+ remotely and
>> noticed that there was this box on the bottom of the wireless
>> page
>> http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di614+/emulator/adv_perform.ht
>> inscribed:
>> 4x mode [ ]enable [ ]disable
>> I'd never noticed that. So, I dig into the support pile and
>> find:
>> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1245
>> which declares:
>> "If you are using non-4X adapters in your wireless network,
>> performance will degrade if 4X is enabled."
>> Ummmm... perhaps we should turn it off?
>
> Good question. My guess would be that this is akin to saying that
> if you mix 802.11b and 802.11g devices, performance will degrade
> (but not significantly below 802.11b highest bitrates). My
> uneducated guess would be that a mix of D-Link 4x and non-4x
> adapters is expected (by D-Link) to downgrade to standard 802.11b
> bitrates. D-Link has said that it only recommends using 4x mode if
> all of the network elements are Airplus, so they expect it might
> break if you have other vendors in the mix.

As I understand it, the so-called "4x" mode is not a higher bitrate
(which remains at 22 Mbit/s) - but uses higher frame packing rates to
reduce overheads.

22 Mbit/s using PBCC modulation is fine IMO, since it's now part
(albeit optional) of 802.11g.

But I'm none too keen on proprietary extensions of whatever kind,
whether they're called marketingspeak things like SuperG, Nitro,
Turbo or 2x or 4x or whatever. It all affects interoperability - the
very reason for standardisation in the first place...

Hope this helps

--

"Richard Perkin" <f000nurdle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
>

> > "Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message

> > it
> > documentation
> > inclusive
>
> >> The plot thickens. I logged into my office DI-614+ remotely and
> >> noticed that there was this box on the bottom of the wireless
> >> page
> >> http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di614+/emulator/adv_perform.ht
> >> inscribed:
> >> 4x mode [ ]enable [ ]disable
> >> I'd never noticed that. So, I dig into the support pile and
> >> find:
> >> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1245
> >> which declares:
> >> "If you are using non-4X adapters in your wireless network,
> >> performance will degrade if 4X is enabled."
> >> Ummmm... perhaps we should turn it off?
> >
> > Good question. My guess would be that this is akin to saying that
> > if you mix 802.11b and 802.11g devices, performance will degrade
> > (but not significantly below 802.11b highest bitrates). My
> > uneducated guess would be that a mix of D-Link 4x and non-4x
> > adapters is expected (by D-Link) to downgrade to standard 802.11b
> > bitrates. D-Link has said that it only recommends using 4x mode if
> > all of the network elements are Airplus, so they expect it might
> > break if you have other vendors in the mix.
>
> As I understand it, the so-called "4x" mode is not a higher bitrate
> (which remains at 22 Mbit/s) - but uses higher frame packing rates to
> reduce overheads.

This agrees with what I have read. From what I understand, the claim is not
that the max bitrate is 4x the 802.11b max bitrate, but that max real-world
throughput is 4x. The underlying encoding method is 22 Mbps PBCC.

> 22 Mbit/s using PBCC modulation is fine IMO, since it's now part
> (albeit optional) of 802.11g.

I've read that one of the reasons TI started shipping 22 Mbps was that early
drafts of 802.11g did not support PBCC. It was a way of forcing the issue.
Don't know if this is true, but it sounds plausible.

> But I'm none too keen on proprietary extensions of whatever kind,
> whether they're called marketingspeak things like SuperG, Nitro,
> Turbo or 2x or 4x or whatever. It all affects interoperability - the
> very reason for standardisation in the first place...

Yes, I completely agree. But my guess is that these tweaks are relatively
inexpensive for both chipmaker and vendor, and the temptation to gain a
product differentiator is almost irresistible.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 02:30:42 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>I've read that one of the reasons TI started shipping 22 Mbps was that early
>drafts of 802.11g did not support PBCC. It was a way of forcing the issue.
>Don't know if this is true, but it sounds plausible.

This old story covers the situation as I vaguely remember it:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/1478441
Since TI bought Alantro, the company that invented PBCC, for a nominal
$300 million, they were obligated by their stockholders to push for
its adoption. Meanwhile, Intersil (Harris) didn't like the idea of
any other company trampling on its turf. Intersil owned CCK and
wanted it based on CCK. The battle lines were drawn and the vote came
to a fairly even split. To break the deadlock, the committee decided
on a 3rd option. They picked OFDM straight from the 802.11a spec,
with optional support for Intersil or TI's protocols.

So it is written, and so we are stuck with it.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558