What amount of megapixels is good for a camcorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
I'm looking into buying a camcorder for videoing (I have a still camera, but It's not too good for video, since the zooming is pretty loud on it)
I've checked on Henry's camera store ( http://www.henrys.com/89137-CANON-VIXIA-HFR600-W-CASE-Plus-8GB-CARD-KIT.aspx ) For something like that but it says it has 3.2 Mp (or 2.07 effective) and I don't know if that's good or bad. I was expecting MP rating like my camera (12.1...yes I know, Not too good but it is actually a good camera)
So is 3MP considered good or bad? Is it worth investing on a camcorder like that or should I save up for something a tad more expensive?

Thanks in advance!

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Interesting. Could you possibly recommend anything for a $3-400 budget?

Any canon R two digit (R50-60) should be fine, as should the sony hdr-cx440.

Whether or not that's good enough for you depends on your needs. If you want high zoom ratios and compact designs for shooting family events, those will do just fine. If you need highspeed modes and the absolute highest quality for professional work, you'll have to spend quite a bit more (and also take proper cinematography lessons).

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

I don't need super zoom, and I don't (really) need a super professional camera. It's sort of a mix between family events, sporting events at the high school, and doing short films for teachers. (I was using my SX50 HS for a short film but the problem is that I couldn't zoom in as much as I wanted because it wasn't smooth)

Any point and shoot digital camera would be just fine for your case (and smaller). If you are zooming quickly during video, you're doing it wrong (unless you're doing a dolly zoom or another fancy technique that detracts from what you're trying to shoot)

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

My camera is not fine for the job and I am doing everything fine. I move the zoom button ever so slowly but the lens still jerks forward and backwards. I need slower zooming. The mic could be better and I know most camcorders have better built in mics and more outputs and inputs and what not.

Most low end cameras/camcorders don't give you zoom speed adjustments, just default settings and either a toggle or (if you go with a camcorder) an analog stick. However, I suggest you first watch professionally shot video for a while. You will see that nobody actually zooms in while being actively displayed, and the first thing you notice in higher value productions is that (outside special techniques like dolly zoom, fast closeups, etc) shows/movies that use zoom seem more amateurish. I would highly recommend reading up on proper cinematography for what you are trying to shoot (sports and short films are likely going to need completely different techniques)

As for better internal mics (the previous models I suggested have 3.5mm mic inputs but no other options) and outputs/inputs, you're discussing $1000+ camcorders. If you want to spend that much, consider the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1156385-REG/sony_hxr_nx100.html . That camera will give you everything you want. You can also use a Canon 70D with a 18-200 lens.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
Whoa whoa whoa people, I am not spending as much as you think I am, and I only asked what amount of MP is a decent amount for camcorders. The Sony camera you mentioned above, my school has 3 of those, but they stay in the news studio. Can't bring that to the beach for the photo shoot. And I am not spending 1,000 on a 70D (as much as I would like too) I have not won the millions yet and am certainly not taking any more money out of the bank.

Thank you all for the help, but my decision has sort have been made, but until them, I will be renting an external microphone from the camera store.
Yes I will look into videos about shooting films and whatever, but like I said, for a certain scene, I need a nice slow zoom, which I guess can be done in the editing process.

And i answered that several posts ago. You changed the question mid-way to other features, which I answered as frankly as possible. People often ask far too much for far too little budget. You won't get all the features you want in one package for your budget, so you'll have to either change what features you want (I gave you that answer in the second post) or change your budget (last post)

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

I'll take second post answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.