[SOLVED] What amount of physical damage can be fatal to a cpu?

Solution

It's not the cooler that is the issue.
The PCB heating and cooling, making that split wider and wider. Eventually, delaminate to the point of fail.

It may run forever. It may die next week.
As said, though, that split would be a deal breaker for me.
I cant access those photos, however if you are talking about a dent in the metal on the front thats fine.

That part is known as the IHS or Integrated heat spreader, the actual chip is beneath that. All that does is transfer the heat from the chip to the cooling device.

Any small damage to that (that hasnt affected the chip below) would only server to decrease the efficiency of the heat dissipation.

So , with out seeing the photos, id guess you'll be fine.

USAFRet

Titan

I see some delamination of the PCB layers right next to your thumb.
For me, that would be a deal breaker, or maybe a 90% reduction in price.

USAFRet

Titan

How long will it continue to work?
As Supahos mentions, "heat cycles".

If I bought that used, and that flaw was not disclosed....I'd send it right back for a refund. Wouldn't even bother plugging it in.

USAFRet

Titan

It's not the cooler that is the issue.
The PCB heating and cooling, making that split wider and wider. Eventually, delaminate to the point of fail.

It may run forever. It may die next week.
As said, though, that split would be a deal breaker for me.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Is this something you are trying to use yourself, or put up for sale?

IMO, if you were going to try and use it, I would get a small amount of epoxy and carefully apply in the crack with a toothpick and use some manner of clamp to hold shut till it dries. Be very careful not to further spread the crack or change the dimension of the chip in a significant way.

I would not try to sell it with that damage. Would consider gifting it to someone that needs it with disclosure of the damage.
If you bought it like that, send it back immediately and leave a ding on the seller for not disclosing.

I think you could sell it like that as long as you disclosed the damage. Put it on ebay without a reserve and let it go for whatever someone will pay for it. If someone is looking for a CPU to mess about with yours might be ideal for them.

USAFRet

Titan

Will someone buy it? Sure. There's fools everywhere.
Search ebay for "broken cpu", filter on SOLD and Completed.

I wouldn't.