[SOLVED] What and how many fans should I use?

May 22, 2020
Hello guys,I have a fractal define R4.
I have old hardware from 2014 (FX processor and ddr3 ram etc)
I will make a huge update as an investment with new hardware (Ryzen 7 3800x,msi tomahawk b450 max,rx5700 , ddr4 16gb ram)

I know that the case is old (fractal R4) but I love it

The only thing I need to the build is the case fans. Currently I'm using full stock fans, 1 on the from and one in the back as I can recall.

I ordered 2 of those:
Phanteks PH-F140MP_BK 14 x 14 cm

Because a good friend recommended for the pc..
I think that I will use the stock on the bottom of the case, and maybe I need one on the top as an "exhaust" or is it too much?

Please tell me your opinions thanks in advance!

Here is an image as a reference:
https://ibb.co/g3sY8hv

The thing I want is to keep temperatures as low as possible, especially now that summer is coming,I ordered dark rock v4 for cpu,I will put rx5700 msi oc and I need lower temperatures for more and better lifespan

Thanks again

Solution
I had a 260W GPU in my system for a while, the temperatures were fine and that was before I added a side intake fan. I don't think you will have a cooling issue with an R4. If you go with 3 intake and 2 exhaust that will be more than enough cooling
I have an R4 with 2 front intake 140mm Noctua ULN and 1 rear exhaust plus a side panel fan which is Akasa I think set to 40% rpm. Adding the side panel fan dropped my CPU temperature by 5 or 6 degrees C. I should probaly replace my CPU cooler at some point

I took out all the hard disk cages as they really block airflow

May 22, 2020
The R5 has an i7-4790K on ASUS Z97-A with 2x8 GB RAM and ASUS GTX970 Strix powered by Corsair CX650M.
The R4 has an i5-2500K on ASUS P8P67 LE and 2x4 + 2x2 GB RAM and ASUS GTX 1060 6GB powered by Seasonic Focus+ 550W.
Neither is overclocked atm.
The GPU that you mentioned on both pcs is very low in temperatures compared to rx5700.. that's why I want more cooling, thanks for comment

I had a 260W GPU in my system for a while, the temperatures were fine and that was before I added a side intake fan. I don't think you will have a cooling issue with an R4. If you go with 3 intake and 2 exhaust that will be more than enough cooling

Reactions: Wazek
Solution
May 22, 2020
Thank you i decided to go with 3 in 2 out

TRENDING THREADS