What anti virus should I get?

DukeOvilla

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
I used to use Avast, which I loved with all my heart and sole. But sadly, Windows 8.1 is not yet compatible with it. So, for the time being, I must use something else.

I took a loot at Avira. But NO WAY NO HOW WILL I USE MSE!!! MSE IS UTTER @#$%!!!!
I hear spooky things about AVG.
I already have the free versions of MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware as backups scanners.
Norton and McAfee are out of the question.
is there anything else worth looking at?

EDIT:ALSO..

Is avast or avira more lightweight???

Solution
Avira is very, very good. The interface is user-friendly and it's one of the best for detecting viruses. In my book this is the best free anti-virus.

Bitdefender seems to do even better. Considered the best currently by many reviews (based on av-comparatives.org and av-test.org for example). But it's not free (only 30-day trial).

I have 3 computers at home, 2 running Avira and 1 running Bitdefender. I have purchased licenses for all of them. So far I consider both of them lightweight and non-intrusive. They both have a "game mode" if that matters to you (not available in Avira free version though).

MC_K7

Distinguished
Avira is very, very good. The interface is user-friendly and it's one of the best for detecting viruses. In my book this is the best free anti-virus.

Bitdefender seems to do even better. Considered the best currently by many reviews (based on av-comparatives.org and av-test.org for example). But it's not free (only 30-day trial).

I have 3 computers at home, 2 running Avira and 1 running Bitdefender. I have purchased licenses for all of them. So far I consider both of them lightweight and non-intrusive. They both have a "game mode" if that matters to you (not available in Avira free version though).

Solution

DukeOvilla

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Thanks! I've heard plenty of good thing about avira. Considering it has one of the absolute highest detection rates, I might just keep it. You see, I believe a good anti virus doesn't let anything in in the first place. I'll install avira, and set the real time protection heuristics to max.

MC_K7

Distinguished

True. But keep in mind that no anti-virus has a 100% success rate in heuristics and day 0 threats. In the end, the user has to be careful what he does.

For extra security, I use the No-Script add-on for Firefox. I also use a standard user Windows account for everyday browsing. Of course, I have another admin account when I need to install software.