What antivirus SW

Hi

I've tried several different Anti-Virus SW.

Mostly, I've been using Norton, but I have made a promise to myself never
to install that one in a computer again. It may be good at what it does,
but it's almost impossible to remove. Half a year after uninstalling it
using recipies found on the ntec web-site and other places, it's ugly head
popped out of nowhere and denied my broadband connection to the internet.
Turned out that it had registered it self as a prerequisite to services
responsible for the DHCP client, and since the SW w no longer there - too
bad. Took some time before I found out.

Currently I'm using Avast, the free version. Seems OK, but it did not
detect the worm infecting my computer when I first tried my broadband
connection.

My employer has a deal with F-ecure allowing employees to install that
software at home.

There are quite a lot of others.

But why worry about which one to choose, when I have the brotherhood of
the dragons?

--
pibbur

pibbur wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've tried several different Anti-Virus SW.
>
> Currently I'm using Avast, the free version. Seems OK, but it did not
> detect the worm infecting my computer when I first tried my broadband
> connection.

I'm currently using AVG from GriSoft ( www.grisoft.com ).
Or at least I was until Windows ate itself. Now I'll have to reinstall it.
The antivirus definitions expire every 7 days or so, which is a PITA if the
Windows machine isn't directly connected to the 'net, but it seems to be
pretty good. That said, I haven't yet tried feeding it a virus
deliberately. It is highly acclaimed, and free for non-commercial use.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, J. P. Morris swings about
and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

> pibbur wrote:

> I'm currently using AVG from GriSoft ( www.grisoft.com ).
> Or at least I was until Windows ate itself. Now I'll have to
> reinstall it. The antivirus definitions expire every 7 days or so,
> which is a PITA if the Windows machine isn't directly connected to the
> 'net, but it seems to be pretty good. That said, I haven't yet tried
> feeding it a virus deliberately. It is highly acclaimed, and free for
> non-commercial use.

It's working for me, without the hassles Mcaffee and Norton gave.
I'm on dialup, and it takes a minute or so to check for and if necessary
download a definition update when I connect in the afternoon. Still, if the
machine it's on isn't internet connected, I can see that that would be a
pain.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e++ N T+ Om+ UK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7!'!S!'!8!9!A!L!M!W!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC++ uF uG+ uLB- uA+ nC+ nR nH+ nP+ nI nPT nS++ nT+ y

Danger Will Robinson! One of your nodes is about to fall off!
Ultima VII endgame.exe file

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth pibbur <dragon42@nomail.land>:
> But why worry about which one to choose, when I have the
> brotherhood of the dragons?

I'm happy with Mcafee myself, which hasn't yet let me down, but I know
some people do have issues with it.

FWIW, the British magazine Computer Shopper has, every month for the
past year, recommended F-Secure and Kapersky as the two AV packages of
choice. The latter particularly has unrivalled trojan detection
routines, apparently.

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

> FWIW, the British magazine Computer Shopper has, every month for the
> past year, recommended F-Secure and Kapersky as the two AV packages of
> choice. The latter particularly has unrivalled trojan detection
> routines, apparently.

We had F-Prot for a long time at work. I always hated it. It was
always last to come out with updates and half of the viruses it could
find it couldn't fix! I ended up getting the freeware tools from
Norton's site to take care of all of our outbreaks. Now Norton is
installed across the board and things are much better. I use McAfee at
home just because I wanted to see what it was like.

--
/\_./b__ _O_ <====o Lost Dragon o====> _|_ __d\._/\
(/^/(_^^' | I like people - I just can't eat a whole one | `^^_)\^\)

Quoth Lost Dragon <kulhain@yahoo.com>:
> Now Norton is installed across the board and things are much better.
> I use McAfee at home just because I wanted to see what it was
> like.

Nearly everyone I know who uses Norton has more problems with it than I
do with Mcafee. Just goes to show how little use anecdotal evidence
is, I suppose. <:)

\^\^//

On 15 Jun 2005 19:16:23 GMT, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth Lost Dragon <kulhain@yahoo.com>:
>> Now Norton is installed across the board and things are much better.
>> I use McAfee at home just because I wanted to see what it was
>> like.
>
>Nearly everyone I know who uses Norton has more problems with it than I
>do with Mcafee. Just goes to show how little use anecdotal evidence
>is, I suppose. <:)

Well, people who need a software program to keep them malware free do tend
to be a good source of *reliable" anecdotes. Yep.

/has never yet had a virus or spyware.

P.S. The first section of my "safehex" page describes using your brain as
your best tool. I wonder how many plebes take that as an insult. Good.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On 15 Jun 2005 19:16:23 GMT, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth Lost Dragon <kulhain@yahoo.com>:
>> Now Norton is installed across the board and things are much better.
>> I use McAfee at home just because I wanted to see what it was
>> like.
>
>Nearly everyone I know who uses Norton has more problems with it than I
>do with Mcafee. Just goes to show how little use anecdotal evidence
>is, I suppose. <:)
I really don't have any problem with Norton. I was surprised the other
day when I tried the free online Panda scanner. It found 7
Exploit/iFrame instances on my drive. I was concerned till I saw the
loation of them, in Norton's quarantine where they were dumped after
Norton caught them in the few malicious spams that get through
Thunderbird. I actually get only about 2 or 3 spams a week. Of course,
the exploit was powerless against Mozilla anyway.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

> Nearly everyone I know who uses Norton has more problems with it than I
> do with Mcafee. Just goes to show how little use anecdotal evidence
> is, I suppose. <:)

We have about 750 PCs at work. The corporate version of Norton has been
very nice. Retail versions may be significantly different.

--

Quoth Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>:
> Well, people who need a software program to keep them malware free
> do tend to be a good source of *reliable" anecdotes. Yep.
> /has never yet had a virus or spyware.
> P.S. The first section of my "safehex" page describes using your
> brain as your best tool. I wonder how many plebes take that as an
> insult. Good.

I like redundant protection, if it doesn't cause any conflicts. I run
both software and hardware firewalls. I run both software and brain-
based AV protection. So far, I haven't had any viruses, either. :)

\^\^//

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:04:50 -0500, Lost Dragon <kulhain@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Nearly everyone I know who uses Norton has more problems with it than I
>> do with Mcafee. Just goes to show how little use anecdotal evidence
>> is, I suppose. <:)
>
>We have about 750 PCs at work. The corporate version of Norton has been
>very nice. Retail versions may be significantly different.

Symantec Corporate is really a different beast altogether from Norton AV
for the consumer. It does work pretty well.

--

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Lost Dragon wrote:
>
>>> Nearly everyone I know who uses Norton has more problems with it than I
>>> do with Mcafee. Just goes to show how little use anecdotal evidence
>>> is, I suppose. <:)
>>
>>We have about 750 PCs at work. The corporate version of Norton has been
>>very nice. Retail versions may be significantly different.
>
> Symantec Corporate is really a different beast altogether from Norton AV
> for the consumer. It does work pretty well.

I wonder why they do that. Can't they just do some cripple down version of
their coporate software instead of doing those strange copy protection
thingy that causes a lot of problems? I hate newer version of Norton AV.

--
Ashikaga a27

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:24:02 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>> Lost Dragon wrote:
....> I hate newer version of Norton AV.

Ashi, you are my friend forever.

pibbur - see, no spelling errors?

Eek! pibbur wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
> ...> I hate newer version of Norton AV.
>>
> Ashi, you are my friend forever.

Aww.... Group hug?

--
Ashikaga a27

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:20:43 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! pibbur wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>> ...> I hate newer version of Norton AV.
>>>
>> Ashi, you are my friend forever.
>
> Aww.... Group hug?

pibbur stretches his arms more than 6000 kms across the Atlantic.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:45:33 GMT, pibbur <dragon42@nomail.land> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:20:43 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Eek! pibbur wrote:
>>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>> ...> I hate newer version of Norton AV.
>>>>
>>> Ashi, you are my friend forever.
>>
>> Aww.... Group hug?
>>
>pibbur stretches his arms more than 6000 kms across the Atlantic.
Mr. Fantastic Pibbur! :)