Question What appears to be hardware problem

Dec 1, 2020
Hi dear members of tom's hardware community

I built this PC about 2 weeks ago:

-rog strix z490-e gaming about a mounth ago and a
-vengeance lpx (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
-970 gtx g1 gaming- PSU rog strix 850W G+

After building up the new PC, I installed windows 10 without any problem and ran an Aida64 stress test for about an hour or so and everything ran smoothly. The CPU temperature also hovered around 80 to 85 at maximum. So I figured everything is working properly. Because I didn’t have enough knowledge about my motherboard drivers, I went to the website and downloaded every driver that was available for my motherboard and tried installing them. Among these drivers, I installed AHCI to Intel RST premium driver. After restarting the windows there was nothing but a black screen. I couldn’t even boot into bios and the VGA LED on the motherboard (the white LED) was always on. So I figured the problem might be something with a graphic card. So I change the HDMI port from the back of my graphic card to the back of my motherboard. And then I could perfectly load into BIOS and windows perfectly fine. Because I knew the RST driver did this (somehow my 970 GTX didn’t work on RST premium), I went to my bio settings And changed it back to AHCI and my GPU started working again. After this I reinstalled my windows to make sure no problems would surface accordingly. After installing windows I ran AIDA64 for another hour and I also used the Intel XTU to see if all my components are working properly and they did. (question: why couldn’t I set it to RST without a problem?)
Until yesterday I was absolutely doing nothing with just a picture open in my windows photos that I got a BSOD. Before I could check the code the screen disappeared and the computer restarted.
After I got the blue screen, I ran AIDA64 another time and this time after a few minutes I had “hardware failure detected” message and the test stopped. I ran the test with stress Cpu, stress FPU, stress cash, stress system memory (just these).
I tested another time and then again I got the error and my pc restarted as if I restarted it myself . So I figured it might be because of the ram overclocking via the XMP1 configuration. I restored everything to default in my bios and started the test another time. This time I got Aida64 'hardware problem detected' again after 7 hours. I also tested my memory with mem86 on xmp1 xmp2 and stock with no errors.
Today I tested with Aida 64 again this time with the stress system memory unchecked. (Only the CPU) and after 10 hours I got hard for failure detected again.(I am using stock bios settings with just XMP2 on). I also have interest to you running all the time to check if there is any throttling. And always when I’m running Aida 64 , intel XTU shows power limit throttling. So I figured that might be because of the motherboard bios (ver 707) default settings. And now I have no idea what to do and how to test the system further and if there is a real hardware problem or not. It also spots hardware failure on prime 95 after a few hours. I will send you the result below:

Self-test 512K passed!
Self-test 512K passed!
[Tue Dec 1 22:31:46 2020]
Self-test 512K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4990234375, expected less than 0.4
Self-test 560K passed!
Self-test 560K passed!
Self-test 560K passed!
[Tue Dec 1 22:36:56 2020]
Self-test 560K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.498046875, expected less than 0.4
Self-test 560K passed!

I hope you guys can help me and I looking forward to your answers.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020
Hi dear members of tom's hardware community

I built this PC about 2 weeks ago:

-rog strix z490-e gaming about a mounth ago and a
-vengeance lpx (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
-970 gtx g1 gaming- PSU rog strix 850W G+

After building up the new PC, I installed windows 10 without any problem and ran an Aida64 stress test for about an hour or so and everything ran smoothly. The CPU temperature also hovered around 80 to 85 at maximum. So I figured everything is working properly. Because I didn’t have enough knowledge about my motherboard drivers, I went to the website and downloaded every driver that was available for my motherboard and tried installing them. Among these drivers, I installed AHCI to Intel RST premium driver. After restarting the windows there was nothing but a black screen. I couldn’t even boot into bios and the VGA LED on the motherboard (the white LED) was always on. So I figured the problem might be something with a graphic card. So I change the HDMI port from the back of my graphic card to the back of my motherboard. And then I could perfectly load into BIOS and windows perfectly fine. Because I knew the RST driver did this (somehow my 970 GTX didn’t work on RST premium), I went to my bio settings And changed it back to AHCI and my GPU started working again. After this I reinstalled my windows to make sure no problems would surface accordingly. After installing windows I ran AIDA64 for another hour and I also used the Intel XTU to see if all my components are working properly and they did. (question: why couldn’t I set it to RST without a problem?)
Until yesterday I was absolutely doing nothing with just a picture open in my windows photos that I got a BSOD. Before I could check the code the screen disappeared and the computer restarted.
After I got the blue screen, I ran AIDA64 another time and this time after a few minutes I had “hardware failure detected” message and the test stopped. I ran the test with stress Cpu, stress FPU, stress cash, stress system memory (just these).
I tested another time and then again I got the error and my pc restarted as if I restarted it myself . So I figured it might be because of the ram overclocking via the XMP1 configuration. I restored everything to default in my bios and started the test another time. This time I got Aida64 'hardware problem detected' again after 7 hours. I also tested my memory with mem86 on xmp1 xmp2 and stock with no errors.
Today I tested with Aida 64 again this time with the stress system memory unchecked. (Only the CPU) and after 10 hours I got hard for failure detected again.(I am using stock bios settings with just XMP2 on). I also have interest to you running all the time to check if there is any throttling. And always when I’m running Aida 64 , intel XTU shows power limit throttling. So I figured that might be because of the motherboard bios (ver 707) default settings. And now I have no idea what to do and how to test the system further and if there is a real hardware problem or not. It also spots hardware failure on prime 95 after a few hours. I will send you the result below:

Self-test 512K passed!
Self-test 512K passed!
[Tue Dec 1 22:31:46 2020]
Self-test 512K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4990234375, expected less than 0.4
Self-test 560K passed!
Self-test 560K passed!
Self-test 560K passed!
[Tue Dec 1 22:36:56 2020]
Self-test 560K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.498046875, expected less than 0.4
Self-test 560K passed!

I hope you guys can help me and I looking forward to your answers.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Format the drive and install windows again and do not install any drivers. The only drivers you’re going to need to install or possibly the chips at drivers and the graphics drivers that’s it don’t install anything else that you don’t know about. windows 10 already knows how to handle it

Dec 1, 2020
Format the drive and install windows again and do not install any drivers. The only drivers you’re going to need to install or possibly the chips at drivers and the graphics drivers that’s it don’t install anything else that you don’t know about. windows 10 already knows how to handle it
thx for replying
I did reinstall windows actually, but of no avail.
As I mentioned before, I’m getting ‘hardware problem detected’ errors from all the stress testing softwares. Aida64, prime 95, and with intel XTU, my pc restarted after about 10 hours.( crashed).
But I tested my memories with Memtest86 both on stock settings and on XMP2 with no errors.
And just as a reminder, it all started with a BSOD when I was absolutely doing nothing (totally idle) on my computer. I’m using all my motherboards default settings. During all these tests I get power limit throttling on intel xtu. All except when i run the test with intel xtu itself.
I have absolutely no idea what is causing this.
Please help

ASK THE COMMUNITY