Question What are average temps for an EVGA RTX 2080 to run at?

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
So what are good operating temps for the card? I have a slight OC on the card and when it ramps up for graphics intense games like BO4 and Rage 2 it gets as hot as 84 C? I cant tell if thats ok or not? It seems really high? Its just air cooled and Im having the damnedest time trying to find a reputable source for telling me what "normal" temps are without some duchebag telling me crazy numbers that arent feasible without spending 400$ and watercooling the card..

So, it also depends on airflow into your case, and your ambient temps. the temp of a GPU will always be related to the ambient air temp that it is using to cool itself, and the fan speed. For the same fan speed a card with 30C ambient (good case cooling) will be 10degrees cooler than a card with 40C ambient (poor case cooling/hot country). So comparing yourself to others is difficult.

Add in the fact that the cards will increase clock speed until a temp is reached that they don't want to exceed and even if you gave it air at 20C to work with you might find that the card temp still hits the high 70's as the clock speed will have increased.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
So, it also depends on airflow into your case, and your ambient temps. the temp of a GPU will always be related to the ambient air temp that it is using to cool itself, and the fan speed. For the same fan speed a card with 30C ambient (good case cooling) will be 10degrees cooler than a card with 40C ambient (poor case cooling/hot country). So comparing yourself to others is difficult.

Add in the fact that the cards will increase clock speed until a temp is reached that they don't want to exceed and even if you gave it air at 20C to work with you might find that the card temp still hits the high 70's as the clock speed will have increased.
I have another question related to that if youre still paying attention to this thread... The airflow in my case seems "ok" i guess but would it make more sense to add another fan below the GPU in the back of the case to give the air right below it some movement? The way I have fans at current is 2 120 mm in the front bringing in air and 2 120 mm fans (one in the back and one on top) venting air.
I literally bought an 80 mm fan that is coming today in the mail and was going to put in in where the PCI expansion slots are and "mod" the case a little to mount it straight to the removable PCI expansion slots (kinda dremel out a hole large enough and then slap some screen over it for dust prevention).
Question being, should I make that fan pull in more air or vent? Im just thinking and it makes more sense to pull a bit more air in and considering hot air rises, the fans venting at the top will do their job... Make sense?
I plan on actually redoing the thermal paste on the card as well, just kinda nervous about tearing down an 800$ card and screwing it up, looking for a good teardown vid/instructions to follow.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I installed that fan and moved my PC outta the corner and my temps on the card are in the mid/low 70's im really shocked... I did what you said and tried turning off one of the vent fans and it did nothing but make the CPU run a bit warmer ha. Thanks for your attention, Im done tinkering with it for now ha