[SOLVED] What are good graphics card in 40-70$ Range ?

kinjalkishor

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
Earlier I could get nvidia Geforce 6300 (mostly x300 series) in this range and this continued till nvidia GT 710 series. But beyond this no cheap graphics card is available. And if we go to above 100$ as well get a 200$ GT 1650. Many good processors like AMD Ryzen 3600 come without a Integrated GPU (AMD Ryzeb 3400 is good APU, but then we have to compromise on CPU). Earlier motherboard (mostly for AMD) itself contained GPU, or a Intel GMA chipset was sure. Now on one side most CPU/Motherboard do not have GPU, on other hand ther is no cheap discrete GPU and system will not even start without a GPU. Many times main GPU gets busted and in that case for checking and let system running till next GPU purchase there is no option. Earlier IGPU/Intel GMA served this purpose very well. Are Desktop PC's has become Costlier on a whole due to these hidden tactics. (Laptops mostly have some form integrated GPU always). While Nvidia has atleast GT710 in that range, I cannot find even 1 AMD GPU.

Last edited:
Solution
I agree with you in that having an integrated graphics option is really helpful, but then you and I don't make those decisions for AMD. As I said, they've apparently decided that if their Ryzen 5 APU isn't enough processing power for you, then either go with a Ryzen 5/7/9 CPU and a discrete card, or go with an Intel processor.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
While Intel has atleast GT710 in that range.

Correction: NVIDIA (not Intel) has at least the GT 710 in that range.

Intel makes processors; most with integrated graphics. They do not (for the most part) build graphic cards.
NVidia makes graphic cards. They do not make processors.
AMD makes both graphic cards and processor (most without integrated graphics).

The cheapest and newer-ish AMD card you're going to find these days is going to be the RX-550 for ~$100. AMD appears to have decided that if you want cheaper graphics then that, go with an APU. If you need the processing power of a higher-end CPU, then you probably want the graphics to match it, so they opted to exclude graphics from there higher end units.

Of course, there's nothing that says you cannot go with an AMD CPU (no integrated graphics) and an NVidia GPU like the GT 710.

-Wolf sends

kinjalkishor

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
Correction: NVIDIA (not Intel) has at least the GT 710 in that range.

Intel makes processors; most with integrated graphics. They do not (for the most part) build graphic cards.
NVidia makes graphic cards. They do not make processors.
AMD makes both graphic cards and processor (most without integrated graphics).

The cheapest and newer-ish AMD card you're going to find these days is going to be the RX-550 for ~$100. AMD appears to have decided that if you want cheaper graphics then that, go with an APU. If you need the processing power of a higher-end CPU, then you probably want the graphics to match it, so they opted to exclude graphics from there higher end units.

Of course, there's nothing that says you cannot go with an AMD CPU (no integrated graphics) and an NVidia GPU like the GT 710.

-Wolf sends
Good catch on intel/nvidia, corrected. Just a mistake in rushed typing.
RX550 is also same price Range as GT1030. Cheapest seem to GT710 though (for the intended purpose of good enough cheap backup GPU). APU has the drawback of marrying GPU to CPU, so have to get lower performance CPU just for APU. If all models had APU then CPU could be freely chosen. This has cut down available options. I am planning to upgrade to AMD Ryzen 3600 from intel corei5 6600. Then I saw the problem I stated above. 3600 is quite a bargain at that price. But need a discret GPU in any case. Once I passed 6 months on intel igpu playing old games (due to intel igpu problems many games have some glitch in rendering, this is an old problem with all intel igpu, they may have shaders but they are not very well conformant with opengl implementation, even nvidia/amd cheapest cards were far better in this regard) and studying till I had saved for nvidia 1050TI after my nvidia 560 stopped working. This type of flexibility is now missing. Having an IGPU/APU always is really helpful.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I agree with you in that having an integrated graphics option is really helpful, but then you and I don't make those decisions for AMD. As I said, they've apparently decided that if their Ryzen 5 APU isn't enough processing power for you, then either go with a Ryzen 5/7/9 CPU and a discrete card, or go with an Intel processor.

-Wolf sends

Solution

kinjalkishor

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017

-Wolf sends
Now that the situation has cleared on Ryzen 4600G, it having less L3 cahe 6 mb vs Rysen 3600 having 32MB L3 cache at lower price, I am very happy with my purchase of Ryzen 3600 + MSI B450 Pro VDH MAx + nvidia 1660 super. Now my old nvidia 1050 ti can work as replacement card for long time while still being a very powerful card.