Question What are limiting factors to be considered when upgrading wireless adapter?

GPags

Reputable
Feb 26, 2020
Hi,
I have an HP Envy running Windows 10, 64 bit that has:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
- 16.0 GB installed ram
- Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 wireless adapter

I am considering dropping Comcast and moving to Fidium fiber with their 1Gbs download and upload speeds. To do that I need to upgrade my wireless adapter. I've looked at the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 adapter that has the same package size as my current internal adapter but the system interface type is different (PCIe, USB for the current adapter vs M.2: CNVio2 for the new adapter) so I am assuming this adapter will not work... correct?
If i cannot find an internal adapter with the specs I need, is there any disadvantage to using an external adapter, if I can find one?
What other hardware limiting factors need to be considered? My Envy laptop meets all my computational needs. I want to get Gbs internet speed because I am considering installing a NAS, if I can a take advantage of it.
Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,
I have an HP Envy running Windows 10, 64 bit that has:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
- 16.0 GB installed ram
- Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 wireless adapter

I am considering dropping Comcast and moving to Fidium fiber with their 1Gbs download and upload speeds. To do that I need to upgrade my wireless adapter. I've looked at the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 adapter that has the same package size as my current internal adapter but the system interface type is different (PCIe, USB for the current adapter vs M.2: CNVio2 for the new adapter) so I am assuming this adapter will not work... correct?
If i cannot find an internal adapter with the specs I need, is there any disadvantage to using an external adapter, if I can find one?
What other hardware limiting factors need to be considered? My Envy laptop meets all my computational needs. I want to get Gbs internet speed because I am considering installing a NAS, if I can a take advantage of it.
Thanks
Wired can reach gigabit speeds. WIFI in most cases will NOT. 500Mbit throughput is a good number for WIFI. Don't go chasing gigabit with WIFI. You will typically be disappointed.

There are other adapter that will work. The one that is like the ax201 is intel ax200. Pretty much the only difference is the cnvio stuff.

Wifi6 in general is not going to buy you much in many cases. You of course need a router that also support wifi6...with 160mhz channel support. The largest issue is the massive amount of contention for bandwidth on the 5ghz radio and the issue with weather radar avoidance when you use 160mhz channels. This was why many people saw little difference when they upgraded.

Wifi6e works much better if but you also need a router that support wifi6e. All the bandwidth in the 6ghz range makes it easier to get wide radio 160mhz radio bands and not have a lot of interference from neighbors. I am sure that will change as it gets more common and we have wifi7 coming that promises to hog even more bandwidth so we will be quickly back to a single house using every possible radio channel. Still you get nowhere near their promised rates. If you can get 600mbps be very happy. If you sit very close to the router you can get gigabit speeds but you might as well use ethernet then.

In any case I would look at ax210 modules. This is a wifi6e device and even if you are not going to use wifi6e there is almost no difference in the cost between this device and the older ax200 devices.

Wifi 6 on 5ghz will probably give you about 600mbps real world sustainable speeds.

If you get the Intel AX210 on Wifi 6E at 6ghz with a 6E router, you can probably get sustained over 1gbps. But 6ghz range is limited, you're better off using an ethernet cable if you can. Or get a MOCA adapter from the router room to your room.