What are my realistic options for ending up running Windows 7 or Windows 10 with the OS disks I have?

jamok99

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
I need to find out what my real options are, and how to do them: I just built a new computer. I haven't installed an OS yet. I have a physical, unopened/unused copy of Windows 8 pro. I also have an 'upgrade' disk to windows 7 home from a long ago computer that never used it. What are my OS options in this situation?: Can I 1. Get windows 7 running by some upgrade/downgrade process? My first choice would be to have Win 7 running. I know it, and I like it. 2. Can I get Windows 10 running with the disks I have. Most importantly, whatever I can do, where can I find reliable instructions on how to do it? Microsoft is a nightmare. User threads are dated. So, my preference is runnning Win7. But if not, I'd like to run Win 10 before the July 29th offer expires. What can I do, and as importantly, *how* can I do it by a process known to work? Thanks in advance

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

From what you've laid out, you can install Win 8.
Then Upgrade that to 8.1
Then Upgrade to Win 10.

Or...
A clean install of Win 10, and use your unused Win 8 license to activate it.

You seem to have no option of Win 7.

Solution

jamok99

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

(I hope I'm replying to USAFRet in the right place) - Thanks for such a quick reply! In that scenario, it seems that downloading Win 10, and then activating it with the Win 8 Pro key is easiest. (Altho God knows MSFT can take the simplest of things and convolute them into incomprehensibility.) The reason I'm keen on Win 7 is that I fear that, even if I install Win 10 successfully, some if most of my vitals and internals and peripherals (printers/scanners/mobo etc.) likely don't have Win 10 drivers - just my guess based on their age and MSFT and manufacturers always liking it to make you buy a new...whatever.)
Regardless, are there written steps that I can follow? Or is it as simple (fingers crossed) as downloading and installing Win 10, instructions provided as you progress, and when it's time to validate it, put in the Win 8 Pro license number?

USAFRet

Titan
"Or is it as simple (fingers crossed) as downloading and installing Win 10, instructions provided as you progress, and when it's time to validate it, put in the Win 8 Pro license number? "

Pretty much this.

Via the MediaCreation tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
Create your DVD or USB install
Boot from that DVD or USB, install the OS
When it asks for the license key, input your existing Win 8 license.

MyHD4870x2Melted

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
Windows 7 is pretty much not an option. Fortunately Windows 10 is "not that bad" but I would recommend using classicshell if you do not like Windows 10's Start menu/control panel and to run DestroyWindows10Spying or any other privacy program if you care about your privacy. Just keep in mind that by using such programs you will not be able to use features like Cortana.

USAFRet

Titan

In future, don't select a Best Answer on a thread that is not your own. Let the OP select something.
Thanks.