[SOLVED] What are Normal/Ideal Temps for AMD RX 480 MSI Gaming X 4GB OC?

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Hey guys!

I recently replaced the thermal paste of my MSI RX 480 4GB Gaming X OC graphics card. I haven't been able to change the paste for 4 years, so I have decided to do it since it was easy, you don't need to be a computer wizard to do such maintenance (excuse my laziness). Before I replaced the thermal paste, the temps I am getting while gaming, though not on full load is 85-90 degrees which is ridiculous, AMD cards do run hot, but come on, just for gaming 85-90 degrees is outrageous. Now I tried stress testing the card just to quench my curiosity if it will reach beyond 90 degrees, and it didn't, which was quite good, because cards running over 90 degrees is bad in the long run as it will degrade the card quicker. Any whose, after replacing the thermal paste, the temps I'm getting while gaming though not on full load is around 60-68 degrees, not exceeding and reaching 70 which is a big improvement from the temps I was getting before. I tried stress testing the card again at full load, and I am getting the same temp range, 60-68 degrees, which I'm very content with. But the problem here is the idle temps, the idle temps before I replaced the paste was playing around 50-60 degrees, after replacing the paste I'm getting the same temp range. Which I find annoying since I just replaced the thermal paste. I mean, I should be getting lower temps since the GPU is in idle anyway. So I just wanna ask, should I be satisfied with the idle temps I'm getting? Don't get me wrong, I'm very well satisfied with the temps I'm getting while the card is on full load, but on idle temps I just hate the numbers I'm getting. What are the ideal idle temps for this type of card model? I get it, different brands, different clock speeds for each manufacturer but they're the same model, so I'm guessing there should be somewhat of a standard temp for this card even though each different card runs and performs different.

Here is a screenshot of my GPU settings: https://ibb.co/BBKsVq2

EDIT: As of now, I'm getting 40 degrees idle temps, is it because the thermal paste has settled in? As I have mentioned I have stress test the card, but that was right after the very moment I finished applying new thermal paste, people say, you have to wait for the paste to settle in to see the real improvement, while others say it's instant if you use a good quality paste, I used the Arctic MX-4 paste. By the way, I also switch between performance profiles frequently, this card has the "silent" profile, "gaming" profile and the "OC" profile, just had to mention as for sure this should also be taken into account, as different profiles run at different voltages and frequencies.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
"ideal" for any GPU is of course as low as possible.
"normal" in a good gaming system should be idling ~30-35°C, maxing ~55-65°.

but, this has just as much to do with your system & it's cooling setup
as it has to do with the particular chip and it's cooling shroud\fans.

your higher temperatures could be due to lack of sufficient cool air intake and\or exhaust throughout the entire system.
"ideal" for any GPU is of course as low as possible.
"normal" in a good gaming system should be idling ~30-35°C, maxing ~55-65°.

but, this has just as much to do with your system & it's cooling setup
as it has to do with the particular chip and it's cooling shroud\fans.

your higher temperatures could be due to lack of sufficient cool air intake and\or exhaust throughout the entire system.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS