[SOLVED] What are other brands versions of EZ flash?

Nov 18, 2020
It's been a while since I built a rig (2008) and while doing my research a buddy suggested I be sure to get EZ flash on my MB in case my CPU needs an updated BIOS. I just want to know if this feature is exclusive to ASUS or if other brands have the same feature but call it something else.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
All motherboard's have a built in flash utility in the bios. Naming scheme varies brand to brand but all the same nonetheless.

To flash a motherboard to support a newer addition cpu will require a pre-existing supported processor to do so most times unless motherboard specifies it's capable of flashing without one installed, ie Msi Flashback. Asus has similar on some of theirs.

What are you trying to do exactly?

Nov 18, 2020
I'm thinking of going with a Ryzen 5 2600 and a ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 so I can upgrade in the future. However, I want to be a bit flexible to take advantage of all the sales in the next week or so and I was told (maybe erroneously) that some X570 boards need to update in order to run a Ryzen series.

Nov 18, 2020
All 5xx boards leaving the manufacturer prior to zen3 release will need a bios update. Give it time and newer released 5xx motherboards will have out of the box support eventually.

Bios revisions; v3.20 is needed for new cpus.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#CPU

Can use 2600 to flash but up to you, maybe invest in a supported cheaper cpu to do the job.
Perfect, so the Ryzen 5 2600 should be fine out of the box and when I upgrade later I can use it to do the update.