What are power supplies with multiple rails for?

Seth L

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
Title states exactly what I'm looking for. More or less, explain what rails are and what benefits/draw backs they give/have. I know nearly nothing about PSU's other than what wattage I should need.
Always strayed away from PSU's with multiple rails because I didn't understand what they do, so you'll have to dumb it down for me so I understand.

Solution
Simplistically they split the power similar to the different power points in your house so that 1 outlet is not used by all your appliances. Multi rail is generally speaking very good especially for high output PSUs. The only real draw back is they cost more.

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Simplistically they split the power similar to the different power points in your house so that 1 outlet is not used by all your appliances. Multi rail is generally speaking very good especially for high output PSUs. The only real draw back is they cost more.

Solution

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009
Once amps get too large, then cheaper is to provide two separate power supplies. Meanwhile computers that draw less than 200 watts and maybe 300 in a short spike are systems recommended for 600 watt supplies. Supplies are so overpowered as to be irrelevant which rail is used.

Damage can result if both rails do not maintain a similar voltage.