[SOLVED] What are some budget routers?

Recently my pc was moved to another part of the room which cuts contact with my internet router so I was wondering if there were any good budget options? under 60 bucks if possible

Last edited:
Solution
I see so can you explain the differences between extender and powerline adapter? also, my outlets are full so I would have to use a power strip would this cause any issues?
You don't want to use power strips with powerline adapters. Powerstrips can interfere with them. You want them directly plugged to the wall. Many have a passthrough AC plug.
A WIFI extender has 1 or 2 radios. It connects to a client device and to a base WIFI source. It repeats traffic from the client to base.
Here is an older article that talks about what powerline networking is -- https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/network-switch-guide,4047.html
IF you decide to go the powerline route, look for a seller with liberal return policies...

kanewolf

Titan
Ah, I see sorry I am unfamiliar with wifi stuff what is WAN speed?
The speed you pay your ISP for. Because WIFI can only receive OR transmit at any one time. The extender has to receive from your device then retransmit to the base unit. There can be delays in each of those steps. Your performance is usually cut in half if you have a WIFI extender.

My recommendation for powerline network adapters use the house wiring to transmit data also. The performance is usually more consistent than WIFI. If you have a desktop or console that support wired interface, then powerline can be a better alternative.

The speed you pay your ISP for. Because WIFI can only receive OR transmit at any one time. The extender has to receive from your device then retransmit to the base unit. There can be delays in each of those steps. Your performance is usually cut in half if you have a WIFI extender.

My recommendation for powerline network adapters use the house wiring to transmit data also. The performance is usually more consistent than WIFI. If you have a desktop or console that support wired interface, then powerline can be a better alternative.
I see so can you explain the differences between extender and powerline adapter? also, my outlets are full so I would have to use a power strip would this cause any issues?

kanewolf

Titan
You don't want to use power strips with powerline adapters. Powerstrips can interfere with them. You want them directly plugged to the wall. Many have a passthrough AC plug.
A WIFI extender has 1 or 2 radios. It connects to a client device and to a base WIFI source. It repeats traffic from the client to base.
Here is an older article that talks about what powerline networking is -- https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/network-switch-guide,4047.html
IF you decide to go the powerline route, look for a seller with liberal return policies. There are some houses where the power infrastructure just doesn't work well with powerline network hardware.

Solution
IF you decide to go the powerline route, look for a seller with liberal return policies. There are some houses where the power infrastructure just doesn't work well with powerline network hardware.
Yeah, that is one issue I live in a trailer from 1984 - 1986 and so I could plug my power strip into a passthrough? could you give any suggestions with a good return policy and such? sorry for all the questions I just wanna get the right thing as my pc is in an internet dead zone can't even keep 2 bars most the time.

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah, that is one issue I live in a trailer from 1984 - 1986 and so I could plug my power strip into a passthrough? could you give any suggestions with a good return policy and such? sorry for all the questions I just wanna get the right thing as my pc is in an internet dead zone can't even keep 2 bars most the time.
Since you live in a trailer, why not run an ethernet cable? You should have access under the floor to run a cable.

kanewolf

Titan
The ethernet is too far and my dad said it'd be a huge pain to run the cable through the house so I wanna make it easier on my dad if possible.
Ethernet can run up to 100m.
If you live in a densely populated area, there may also be a lot of competing WIFI signals which would hurt your ability to use an extender.

Since I can't predict WIFI performance (nobody can IMO) I think you will have the same problem with either powerline or WIFI. You will need to find someplace that you can return it if it doesn't work well. I don't have a recommended seller.

Ethernet can run up to 100m.
If you live in a densely populated area, there may also be a lot of competing WIFI signals which would hurt your ability to use an extender.

Since I can't predict WIFI performance (nobody can IMO) I think you will have the same problem with either powerline or WIFI. You will need to find someplace that you can return it if it doesn't work well. I don't have a recommended seller.
I see I don't believe it is that populated we got about 3-4 other people in the trailer park but is there any way I could find out if the wires are any good in my trailer?

Last edited:
Not without trying a set of powerline adapters. Do you have unused coax? MoCA is another option -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance
I spoke with my father to see his opinion and he said he'd rather just run an ethernet cable through the house, as he wants my connection to be good and not worry about too many drops anymore but, quick question what is the differences between cat6 and cat7? I am considering this cable but wanna make sure there is no compatibility stuff as this will be the first time I use ethernet so I have no clue how that works thanks for all the help btw!

kanewolf

Titan
I spoke with my father to see his opinion and he said he'd rather just run an ethernet cable through the house, as he wants my connection to be good and not worry about too many drops anymore but, quick question what is the differences between cat6 and cat7? I am considering this cable but wanna make sure there is no compatibility stuff as this will be the first time I use ethernet so I have no clue how that works thanks for all the help btw!
Do not buy flat cable, IMO. For gigabit Cat5e is all thst is required. I use these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11207

Amazon has massive amounts of fake cable. Not sure why amazon allows this they don't allow selling fake purses etc. At least amazon makes they put that the cable is CCA after so many people got scammed.

You must search very carefully and still you will get crap so you need to read the ads very carefully.

You want cat5e that is pure copper, no CCA. The wire size need to be 22-24, this means no thin or flat cables. In some cases cat6 is cheaper but it will not run any faster than cat5e. If the vendor does not clearly state the wire size and that it is copper try another vendor

Amazon has massive amounts of fake cable. Not sure why amazon allows this they don't allow selling fake purses etc. At least amazon makes they put that the cable is CCA after so many people got scammed.

You must search very carefully and still you will get crap so you need to read the ads very carefully.

You want cat5e that is pure copper, no CCA. The wire size need to be 22-24, this means no thin or flat cables. In some cases cat6 is cheaper but it will not run any faster than cat5e. If the vendor does not clearly state the wire size and that it is copper try another vendor
Thanks, I found the same cable Kane linked me on amazon (monoprice sells it)