[SOLVED] What are some good games to play?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
I am looking for some good games for my wife and I to play. I just don't want to buy one and then not like it. I think steam should allow 7 day free trials of every game. So we can kind of try before you buy type of thing. But I guess not. Anyway, sometimes I can latch on to a game and play for hours on end and not get bored (BO3 zombies - 6000 hours over 3 years). But my wife wants something she can play and enjoy. She likes 3D adventure games. Games like spyro the dragon, mario games (which unfortunately will never see the light of day on steam)…. those types of games. I mainly am looking for a good game that we can both enjoy, games that are similar to those 2 or run the same formula. I don't know. I've been searching all over steam and I've seen some I'd like to try. But I dont want to buy and not like it so I dont know what to do. I tried destiny. It wasnt any fun. We don't play fortnite because we aren't 6 years old. We had fun with BO3 zombies but we want a good 3D platform adventure type game like what mario and spyro are like. Any suggestions?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Solution
We had a switch. We haven't beat every Mario game from the original to odyssey. Been there, destroyed that. we tried cuphead but didn't really like it. I think we might get Overwatch because she asked me about it. I've never played borderlands. Whats the point of that game anyway? Don't know much about it
Borderlands is essentially a shoot and loot game. The first one is good, the second has a WAAAAAY better storyline and overall is just better and the pre sequel is essentially an expansion to 2 that was big enough to warrant its own game, but in my opinion isn't as good as 2. Generally they've got a few laughs in them and it's generally solid, In any case I'd buy 2 in the sale, give it an hour see if you like the gameplay and...
I think steam should allow 7 day free trials of every game. So we can kind of try before you buy type of thing.
Steam does offer refunds for any reason within 2 weeks of purchase, so long as the game has not been played for more than 2 hours...

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6695-QIKM-7966

Being limited to under 2 hours isn't exactly much of a "free trial", but might be enough to give you a better idea of how a game plays. If they offered unlimited 7-day trials of every game, lots of people would likely play many games through to completion, and then return them.

Of course, one good option is to wait until they have one of their big store-wide sales, when there's a good selection of heavily-discounted games. Then, if you don't like a game, at least you spent less on it. Typically, they have a big winter sale around Christmas/New Years and another in the summer. There are autumn and spring sales too, though they tend to be somewhat smaller in scope. The Autumn sale will supposedly be about a month from now, and there's apparently going to be a smaller Halloween sale in a little over a week.

We don't play fortnite because we aren't 6 years old.
Hey, they updated it with a new map and lots of other changes this week. Maybe you should give a try. : D Really though, the game has a couple-hundred million players, and they can't all be 6 years old. It does tend to have a relatively steep learning curve as far as competitive-level building is concerned, but I believe they did incorporate skill-based matchmaking recently, so you're probably less likely to be competing against the 6 year-olds who have put in thousands of hours. : P

As said above steam does offer refunds on purchases within 2 weeks or 2 hours playtime.
Are you looking for a single player game, a game with split screen or are you on seperate machines?

If you are on different machines I’d look at sea of thieves (Microsoft store), Overwatch as another shooter (and it’s in the middle of an event atm), cup head as a 2D platformer on split screen, the borderlands series is pretty great (I’d wait for 3 until its on steam though), the Lego games are pretty fun split screen and again on different machines there’s minecraft.

As single player I’d reccomend most of those anyway along with the Batman Arkham series which can be picked up dirt cheap now, the tomb raider games, the Bioshock games and the South Park games (stick of truth and Fractured But Whole).

Also please get her a switch if you haven’t already, just make sure it’s a redbox one. Mario Odyssey DESTROYS any other modern 3D platformer. Honestly the only things that come close are the older Galaxy and sunshine games.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
As said above steam does offer refunds on purchases within 2 weeks or 2 hours playtime.
Are you looking for a single player game, a game with split screen or are you on seperate machines?

If you are on different machines I’d look at sea of thieves (Microsoft store), Overwatch as another shooter (and it’s in the middle of an event atm), cup head as a 2D platformer on split screen, the borderlands series is pretty great (I’d wait for 3 until its on steam though), the Lego games are pretty fun split screen and again on different machines there’s minecraft.

As single player I’d reccomend most of those anyway along with the Batman Arkham series which can be picked up dirt cheap now, the tomb raider games, the Bioshock games and the South Park games (stick of truth and Fractured But Whole).

Also please get her a switch if you haven’t already, just make sure it’s a redbox one. Mario Odyssey DESTROYS any other modern 3D platformer. Honestly the only things that come close are the older Galaxy and sunshine games.

We had a switch. We haven't beat every Mario game from the original to odyssey. Been there, destroyed that. we tried cuphead but didn't really like it. I think we might get Overwatch because she asked me about it. I've never played borderlands. Whats the point of that game anyway? Don't know much about it

Borderlands is essentially a shoot and loot game. The first one is good, the second has a WAAAAAY better storyline and overall is just better and the pre sequel is essentially an expansion to 2 that was big enough to warrant its own game, but in my opinion isn't as good as 2. Generally they've got a few laughs in them and it's generally solid, In any case I'd buy 2 in the sale, give it an hour see if you like the gameplay and return it if not

2 is worth the GOTY edition for Assault on dragon Keep alone (Parody of D&D with jokes about LoTR, game of thrones etc) and you can get it in sales for like £10 and you can buy keys for the game (GOTY) for 10-15.

Overwatch is one of those games where you have to break through a wall. There's a lot of heroes now and even if you don't play as them all you need to be aware of what each one does both as opposition and what they do in your team so you know how to play against/with them. You'll probably need a solid 10 hours of play time to get used to everything and get good enough to start with comp but by the time you do get into the groove and you've found out who you like to play it's ridiculously good. I have over 300 hours in the game and that's nothing, still not bored.

Solution

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
I am looking for some good games for my wife and I to play. I just don't want to buy one and then not like it. I think steam should allow 7 day free trials of every game. So we can kind of try before you buy type of thing. But I guess not. Anyway, sometimes I can latch on to a game and play for hours on end and not get bored (BO3 zombies - 6000 hours over 3 years). But my wife wants something she can play and enjoy. She likes 3D adventure games. Games like spyro the dragon, mario games (which unfortunately will never see the light of day on steam)…. those types of games. I mainly am looking for a good game that we can both enjoy, games that are similar to those 2 or run the same formula. I don't know. I've been searching all over steam and I've seen some I'd like to try. But I dont want to buy and not like it so I dont know what to do. I tried destiny. It wasnt any fun. We don't play fortnite because we aren't 6 years old. We had fun with BO3 zombies but we want a good 3D platform adventure type game like what mario and spyro are like. Any suggestions?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I don't know if you like rpg games, but I would highly recommend that you play the witcher 3. Also, you can pick up red dead redemption 2 when it comes out on pc.