[SOLVED] What are some used but still good 10Gbs ports switch?

CharlieLo

Commendable
Feb 15, 2020
I'm a newbie to switches and routers. I'm looking for a used but still good 24 ports or more that is 10Gbs per port. I'm thinking about running a NAS for video editing. Any suggestion/recommendation is appreciated.

Solution
Again the switch is not likely going to be your bottleneck even if you only have 1gbit ports.

For example you will not find a many laptops that have 10g ports in them. They would also need faster than normal SSD and then they still would not likely exceed 2-3gbit. You need raid arrays of ssd to get fast speeds.

This is also true of your desktop machine but 10g ports are a bit more common and most support raid configurations.

I can't see how you need more than 2 10g ports. 1 for the NAS and 1 for the desktop.

Your best solution is likely to put the data on the main desktop and share it to the laptops. The desktop will get full performance and the laptops will be able to get 1gbit if they can even transfer that much. You...
Actually newer equipment runs faster and better. You might find something from linksys that is fairly inexpensive. The chips they used to use were very slow compared to one made say in the last 5 years

First question would be why do you not put the storage in the machine that needs it. The only time you really need network storage is say when you have multiple people working on it.

Be prepared to spend big money. The end devices are going to limit your traffic rates before a switch will. You need things like raid of very fast SSD on both ends of the connection. If you use things like disk drives you will not go much over 1gbit. If you just stick a simple drive in a box on the network you are going to be lucky to even use 1gbit.

24 ports that can actually run 10gbit on all the ports is going to cost a lot. What you need to do is look at the backplane speed. To get a non blocking wire speed switch the chips need to be able to pass 480GBIT/sec total. That is 20gbit per port.

Reactions: CharlieLo

CharlieLo

Commendable
Feb 15, 2020
I was looking at some old/used switches on eBay and they're like $200-$500. However, I do not have much experience with switches so I've no clue if it is even worth buying an old product. I don't have multiple users that needs access to the files. What I'm looking at is I have one desktop and a couple of laptops. I want to be able to access these files from multiple machines. 24 ports is like thinking about future expansion but realistically, for now I think 8-ports at 10Gbs should be fine.

Again the switch is not likely going to be your bottleneck even if you only have 1gbit ports.

For example you will not find a many laptops that have 10g ports in them. They would also need faster than normal SSD and then they still would not likely exceed 2-3gbit. You need raid arrays of ssd to get fast speeds.

This is also true of your desktop machine but 10g ports are a bit more common and most support raid configurations.

I can't see how you need more than 2 10g ports. 1 for the NAS and 1 for the desktop.

Your best solution is likely to put the data on the main desktop and share it to the laptops. The desktop will get full performance and the laptops will be able to get 1gbit if they can even transfer that much. You likely can use normal 1gbit switches.

When you use a NAS you now must spend double the amount of money on disk systems. SSD have come down but the large capacity ones that have good performance are still expensive. When you add in the overhead of having to use RAID both to protect the data and increase the performance you have to buy even more storage.

The switch is the cheapest part of all of this. It should be your last concern after you have figured out how to get the end machines performance good enough to take advantage of it.

Solution