what are the benefits of directx 12

bigjohnny

Reputable
May 20, 2016
i want to play current games at max settings on 1080p 60+fps i also want to play old games like battlefield 3 batman arkham origins etc.i also going to get the gtx 1060 6gb

Solution
your older games will run on the older dx versions anyway. remember each version is separate from the others so you likely already have multiple versions installed depending on the games you play.

having dx 12 installed does not mean an old game will use it. it will use the versions it was written on unless it is patched to use a different version. some dx11 games have gotten dx12 patches but not all of them. most developers won't bother unless it is a very new or very popular game to justify rewriting it for the new dx version.

A whole 16 posts in 18 months and you pull out a lmgtfy?

BigJohnny, not much at the moment, it may allow more smaller cores to drive a GPU better than fewer faster cores, but not yet. Like when DX10/11 first started, nothing supported it, that'll grow over the next 12+ months, but if a game doesn't use Dx12, then it just doesn't, BF3, Batman AA etc. don't.

DX12/Vulcan lets developers get closer to the metal and squeeze extra performance out of hardware over previous version of DX. This is not automatic, developers must specifically program in these added benefits. So poorly coded games will run the same under DX12 as they did in DX11.

Also note its the developer that determines what DX version a game is running under. Not you the user. It will be several years before DX12 is the default norm for new games and even then devs could skip it if they don't like it for some reason.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
your older games will run on the older dx versions anyway. remember each version is separate from the others so you likely already have multiple versions installed depending on the games you play.

having dx 12 installed does not mean an old game will use it. it will use the versions it was written on unless it is patched to use a different version. some dx11 games have gotten dx12 patches but not all of them. most developers won't bother unless it is a very new or very popular game to justify rewriting it for the new dx version.

Solution