Question What are the best options for upgrading my PC ?

Monzer2013

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

RAM 8.0 GB

Operating System Windows 10

The first component i would upgrade would be the gtx 960. Then 960 is a limit and the 4th gen i5 should handle a 1060 or rx580 pretty well. 8gb of ram and that cpu are not a problem for most games at 1080p with an adequate gpu like a 1060. If you want to upgrade your pc further you could get an i7 4770 if supported by your motherboard, which it should. You could also buy 16gb ddr3 for cheap but it likely is not needed. What psu do you have?

Monzer2013

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I'm using my PC right now to do Graphic Design and Play Games.
i thought of buying another 8gb DDR3 ram, and maybe later upgrade to GTX 1070ti.
My mother board model is H81M-P33 btw but i dunno if it is compatible with that GPU model or not.

What are the rest of the specs, do you have an SSD or just a platter drive? Monitor model? "Play Games" is a very general thing, like saying "I like to eat food" when someone asks you what your favorite meal is. if you play Diablo 3, you don't need an upgrade, or LOL or CSGO. Really a 960 will run even new games at 1080 at about medium settings at playable frames. You may be better off getting a nicer monitor/keyboard/mouse or an SSD instead of a faster CPU or video card.

Monzer2013

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
What are the rest of the specs, do you have an SSD or just a platter drive? Monitor model? "Play Games" is a very general thing, like saying "I like to eat food" when someone asks you what your favorite meal is. if you play Diablo 3, you don't need an upgrade, or LOL or CSGO. Really a 960 will run even new games at 1080 at about medium settings at playable frames. You may be better off getting a nicer monitor/keyboard/mouse or an SSD instead of a faster CPU or video card.

MotherBoard H81M-P33

RAM HYPERX Blue 8.0 GB

PSU Corsair VS450

SSD Samsugn EVO 840

Monitor Samsung S27D590

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

MotherBoard H81M-P33

RAM HYPERX Blue 8.0 GB

PSU Corsair VS450

SSD Samsugn EVO 840

Monitor Samsung S27D590

Sorry, I replied while you were posting so did not see this!

Any GPU upgrade would involve a PSU upgrade as well; the VS series is a very entry-level one that you'll rarely see recommended for any builds with a GPU that uses supplemental power.

The question about the RAM is: are you actually running into problems with 8 GB of RAM right now? Because if you're not, 16 GB of RAM may not help you very much. And unlike a new GPU like an RTX 1060, you won't be able to bring RAM to a newer platform.

Monzer2013

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Sorry, I replied while you were posting so did not see this!

Any GPU upgrade would involve a PSU upgrade as well; the VS series is a very entry-level one that you'll rarely see recommended for any builds with a GPU that uses supplemental power.

The question about the RAM is: are you actually running into problems with 8 GB of RAM right now? Because if you're not, 16 GB of RAM may not help you very much. And unlike a new GPU like an RTX 1060, you won't be able to bring RAM to a newer platform.
whenever i use Photoshop or 3ds Max to render things the memory usage almost reaches 100%, and playing games like APEX or Battle Field 5 also do that. i thought of upgrading to 16 gb ram as a start then upgrade the GPU later when possible. this would enhance performance maybe ?

It may help performance a bit. Installing a 1070ti rn would increase performance but be heavily limited by that cpu. I reccomend a corsair cx550m or a seasonic psu for q budget upgrade, as well as 16gb of ram and a gtx 1060 6gb. Any more gpu would cause a bad cpu limitation and potentially stuttery gameplay at 1080p. At 1440p or 4k this is less of a problem.

It depends on what games you like to play. If you play very demanding latest triple A titles, you'd be better off upgrading your CPU/Motherboard/Memory because your existing combo won't meet minimum system requirements however the GTX 960 can. Then in the future you can upgrade your graphics card and monitor at the same time to ensure optimal performance in both graphics and display.

Last edited: