[SOLVED] What are the components on a DDR3 PC ram stick?

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Hi there every one.
I was trying to look for the schematics for DDR3 ram sticks to figure out what are the electronic components on the stick, but I couldn't find any. On a few DDR1 ram sticks that I have inspected there are a few components (that I think are only resistors and capacitors) and a tinier IC which I suspect it "may be" the SPD IC, and then a few really tiny 8 pin IC looking components with the number 220 on them.

Now what are the components on a DDR3 ram stick?

Thank you previously for your attention and help. 💐

Solution
Thank you. To be fully honest I am not trying to repair a DDR3 Ram stick to be honest. I am just being curious about the components and what they are. I suspected they maybe a few capacitors and resistors like I mentioned before, but I want to see a few schematics for ddr3 rams to sort of satisfy my thirst for knowing about these components really.
Considering the schematics of these are almost trade secrets, I'd think it would be impossible to get your hands on one.

That being said, I remember downloading a very detailed document for a samsung ddr3 registered module here--enjoy:
https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...e/2017/11/DS_DDR3_4Gb_Q_die_RDIMM_Rev11-2.pdf
If the module you're looking like seems like it is more complex, there are also ddr3 ecc and ddr3 ecc registered modules which have the same number of 'pins' (there's no more pins in memory modules, but it's still referred this way), and these other modules will have additional components.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
From what I'm seeing...basically it's just the main memory chip or chips....and resistors and capacitors.
Thank you yes that is what I "suspected". Just capacitors and resistors. But on DDR1 RAM sticks there is also an IC component with the number "220" on them, or so it seems any idea what that may be?

If the module you're looking like seems like it is more complex, there are also ddr3 ecc and ddr3 ecc registered modules which have the same number of 'pins' (there's no more pins in memory modules, but it's still referred this way), and these other modules will have additional components.
No, the module that I am looking at is a very simple home use normal non-ecc non-server DDR3 ram stick. Not a complex memory stick really.

Something like these:

If you look at these pictures there are very tiny components on the board next to the actual memory chips. I want to know what those tiny components are.

Guys, are there any schematics or document for repair guy that would tell you what those components are?

No, the module that I am looking at is a very simple home use normal non-ecc non-server DDR3 ram stick. Not a complex memory stick really.

Something like these:

If you look at these pictures there are very tiny components on the board next to the actual memory chips. I want to know what those tiny components are.

Guys, are there any schematics or document for repair guy that would tell you what those components are?
Sounds like you unfortunately knocked one of these off. :( I have some memory modules like that too, but I also have the knocked off components.

I believe they are called inductors. And generally because of the solddering requirements (smt) and the heat limits, they are not generally field repairable. I have been tempted to try to fix mine using a 'solder pen' and some nail polish clearcoat but haven't done it yet.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Sounds like you unfortunately knocked one of these off. :( I have some memory modules like that too, but I also have the knocked off components.

I believe they are called inductors. And generally because of the solddering requirements (smt) and the heat limits, they are not generally field repairable. I have been tempted to try to fix mine using a 'solder pen' and some nail polish clearcoat but haven't done it yet.
Thank you. To be fully honest I am not trying to repair a DDR3 Ram stick to be honest. I am just being curious about the components and what they are. I suspected they maybe a few capacitors and resistors like I mentioned before, but I want to see a few schematics for ddr3 rams to sort of satisfy my thirst for knowing about these components really.

Considering the schematics of these are almost trade secrets, I'd think it would be impossible to get your hands on one.

That being said, I remember downloading a very detailed document for a samsung ddr3 registered module here--enjoy:
https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...e/2017/11/DS_DDR3_4Gb_Q_die_RDIMM_Rev11-2.pdf

Solution

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012

Thank you Samir, that indeed was a very detailed documentation. But as you have already mentioned it is nothing near a complete schematics.

To be honest I never understood why some schematics that can be used to repair stuff are kept like secrets. Any electronics enthusiast knows that given enough time and dedication one can simply draw up a schematics of almost any PCB. Also any one who has seen a few ram sticks in different standards (DDR1-DDR4) they know that almost all of these ram sticks are virtually like 98% totally identical, I mean probably aside from the chip producers and their naming standards, but the idea of the board remains the same, because DDR3 standard is almost a universal thing.

So I sometimes think that these maybe not published because anyone interested my actually refer to the DDRx universal standards pamphlets, am I right?