[SOLVED] what are the differences between super flower leadex series / platform? (leadex i / II / III / 4/5)

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
i do another thred, however i read the toms hardware guide where it recommends all platforms of all brands and also says which ones to stay away from. In the super flower market he says that platforms III, II and III are excellent. I don't understand why he doesn't mention those 4 and 5 maybe because that article is from a long time ago? and leadexes I to IV (5) came out in chronological order? so leadex I came out first and leadex IIIII (5) last?

Solution
Leadex (I) Gold / Platinum aren't really quiet in comparison with most modern PSUs, Titanium is, all good. EVGA P2/T2 are also effectively the same things as the Leadex Platinum and Titanium.
Leadex II is discontinued so it doesn't matter, you get something similar with EVGA G3 tho, it's good too.
Leadex III Gold is fine too, ARGB versions or not, Pro version or not. They've used 22AWG wires in PCie cables after the first connector tho, so don't use it for mining or any other kind of continuous load usecases (gaming is fine).
Leadex III Bronze may be decent but there are no reviews on it, it looks like EVGA B3 was the same thing tho, which had some QC/QA issues so yeah, maybe it's good maybe not, skip it if it's not going into a...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Might be helpful to link whatever you're referring to?

If the article came out "a long time ago", I'm assuming you don't mean in the last ~12 months or so.... which is as long as the Leadex V has been around (AFAIK).

I'm sure there was an OG "Leadex"... but don't recall it, honestly. II and III were mainstays for years and top-tier quality (at least the Gold or better efficiency units). There were (are?) Bronze and Silver units too, of varying quality - but all solid enough.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Leadex (I) Gold / Platinum aren't really quiet in comparison with most modern PSUs, Titanium is, all good. EVGA P2/T2 are also effectively the same things as the Leadex Platinum and Titanium.
Leadex II is discontinued so it doesn't matter, you get something similar with EVGA G3 tho, it's good too.
Leadex III Gold is fine too, ARGB versions or not, Pro version or not. They've used 22AWG wires in PCie cables after the first connector tho, so don't use it for mining or any other kind of continuous load usecases (gaming is fine).
Leadex III Bronze may be decent but there are no reviews on it, it looks like EVGA B3 was the same thing tho, which had some QC/QA issues so yeah, maybe it's good maybe not, skip it if it's not going into a strictly budget rig.
Leadex V Gold - no reviews, but there's a review for Leadex V Platinum now, after it was being sold for a year in US. And it's not surprisingly a mediocre product, because it's a very compact, 130mm deep high-wattage PSU. Compact size doesn't come free. 1kW version has 103% OPP when it's a norm for high-end PSUs to have about 25-40% headroom there, so it's basically 850W PSU at best, or rather close to 750W. They've also used 20AWG wires in PCie cables after the first connector, so it's a strictly 'gaming' PSU.
Leadex VI - zero reviews, nothing is known about it. Don't buy.

Overall i'm disappointed in the direction Super Flower are going, they had a good start, now they cheap out on stuff, and hesitate to send out review samples, effectively just selling their reputation instead. Just like Seasonic and EVGA.

Reactions: Grealish01
Solution

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
Leadex III Bronze may be decent but there are no reviews on it, it looks like EVGA B3 was the same thing tho, which had some QC/QA issues so yeah, maybe it's good maybe not, skip it if it's not going into a strictly budget rig.
Leadex V Gold - no reviews, but there's a review for Leadex V Platinum now, after it was being sold for a year in US. And it's not surprisingly a mediocre product, because it's a very compact, 130mm deep high-wattage PSU. Compact size doesn't come free. 1kW version has 103% OPP when it's a norm for high-end PSUs to have about 25-40% headroom there, so it's basically 850W PSU at best, or rather close to 750W. They've also used 20AWG wires in PCie cables after the first connector, so it's a strictly 'gaming' PSU.
Leadex VI - zero reviews, nothing is known about it. Don't buy.

Overall i'm disappointed in the direction Super Flower are going, they had a good start, now they cheap out on stuff, and hesitate to send out review samples, effectively just selling their reputation instead. Just like Seasonic and EVGA.
thanks for the explanation man. 😃 last thing: between leadex Gold III and Leadex Gold III pro what are the differences?

I found out that the CEO retired and after that the lead engineer left to take care of his "special needs" daughter in Hong Kong. Apparently he had enough $/stock in the company to walk away from the industry.

Reactions: Juular

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
Thanks to everyone for the advice, a friend of mine has a very complex and particular problem always regarding the power supply, do you by chance know any real power supply experts on YouTube or even here on the forum?

a truly knowledgeable person, and not one who professes himself as such for only a few annual top 10 on recommended PSUs