[SOLVED] What are the disadvantages of using a higher wattage PSU?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
I purchased an 850W PSU

I didn't really count how much power/wattage my current build needs; but instead based my purchase on what I think will better accommodate future upgrades on the PC, i.e. a better GPU, like an RX 5500 XT

Anyway, what are the disadvantages (if any) of using a higher wattage PSU for a build that won't get close to using 700-850w???

Solution
I purchased an 850W PSU

I didn't really count how much power/wattage my current build needs; but instead based my purchase on what I think will better accommodate future upgrades on the PC, i.e. a better GPU, like an RX 5500 XT

Anyway, what are the disadvantages (if any) of using a higher wattage PSU for a build that won't get close to using 700-850w???
The only disadvantage is the initial cost, compared to buying what you actually needed. It will only draw power that the system needs, so no increased cost just because of its capacity. Since it will only be cruising it will probably last longer and maybe even be quieter. Over-provisioning, to some degree, has advantages.
I purchased an 850W PSU

The only disadvantage is the initial cost, compared to buying what you actually needed. It will only draw power that the system needs, so no increased cost just because of its capacity. Since it will only be cruising it will probably last longer and maybe even be quieter. Over-provisioning, to some degree, has advantages.

Solution