Question What are the expected price drops for the 3000 series once the 4000 series comes out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foyezes

Commendable
Mar 26, 2022
I was curious as to how much the 3000 series card prices will be once the 4000 series comes out. I looked on ebay and some of them are selling at msrp or near msrp.
How low can it get once the next gen releases? Can I expect to see the 3000 series cards drop significantly below their msrp or are they just going to stay at msrp?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
There’s talk that the 4000 series won’t even release this year even though they could, due in part to the fact that there are so many 3000 series still unsold. They may work on reducing that inventory before they move on the the 4s.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Logically and under NORMAL conditions, the prices for 3x cards SHOULD drop significantly once the 4x cards are actually available to buy...

However, logic and normal went to crap with the pandemic/scalper/miner/parts shortage situations.....that plus the fact that there are still so many 3x cards out there, both new & used, and the demand for them fluctuates by the minute, it's anybody's guess what will happen..

Best advice right now is to have your credit card/bank account ready, because whenever the price drops do occur, they won't last for long. Once the supply of the 3x cards starts to dry up, the prices will skyrocket again very quickly.....

Last edited:
Historically the MSRP of a video card has never dropped once a new generation comes out. Production and manufacturing is usually timed such that by the time a new generation comes out, stores won't have much in stock anyway of the one its replacing. And if stores do have a bunch of stock, they may have a flash sale beforehand to get rid of it.

Since there's a relative oversupply of current generation of cards, you may find a flash sale happening closer to the date of release. But who knows when that'll be.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Historically the MSRP of a video card has never dropped once a new generation comes out. Production and manufacturing is usually timed such that by the time a new generation comes out, stores won't have much in stock anyway of the one its replacing. And if stores do have a bunch of stock, they may have a flash sale beforehand to get rid of it.

Since there's a relative oversupply of current generation of cards, you may find a flash sale happening closer to the date of release. But who knows when that'll be.

Trudat, but as I said before, this is hardly a normal situation, as there are a boatload of the old cards both new & used floating around everywhere, so yes, I fully expect a "fire sale" just prior to the 4xx release announcements.

For those who don't know, e/retailers have strict inventory budgets to maintain, meaning that they can only have xxx number of dollars of inventory on hand at any given time, and if they are overloaded on a bunch of stuff, especially stuff that normally sells for $500+, they have to get rid of it to free up funds to finance the purchase of the new stuff.....

To add to my last post

If you have a budget in mind, start hounding all of the major retailers (or just PCPartpicker) for pricing every day. When it drops to something you think you'll be getting a good deal on or you don't think it'll drop any further, then go pull the trigger and don't look back.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
The time to watch is now.
They're currently dropping and are expected to drop even more during the rest of August and September.
This is due to sales and demand finally plummeting.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this is asked EVERY time a new gen comes out. folks expect the $1500 top of the line to all of a sudden be $200. that is never gonna happen. sure it will drop a little bit for a few months but it quickly levels off.

what i have seen is the price will drop to roughly the price of the new gen part with the same performance. for instance, if the new 4070 matches the old 3090, then the 3090 will tend to drop until it costs about the same as the newer 4070 (again hypothetical since who knows what performance will be). this is not set in stone of course and price can be a bit lower but it's a decent way to guess where it should end up.

but if demand stays high for the 3000 series, then of course the prices will stay up as well. supply and demand and all that.

now what will happen in your country is anyone's guess really. this might not even hold true in your country where supplies vary greatly from what we see in the US. some are still paying high prices for 2 or 3 gen old stuff depending on the country.

Reactions: Exploding PSU

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's no way of knowing. A lot can depend on the source. Ppl like newegg and Amazon have huge turnover, so never worry about product sitting on shelves for any length of time. Nvidia isn't making/ordering any more 30 series, so supply is going to dwindle. Little mom & pop stores don't have available warehouse space, so will need to clear shelf space to get the 40 series cards in.

But. With the expected pricing of the 40 series cards, a 3080 looks far more attractive than a 4070, and a 3080 on sale at a mom & pop even more so. Unless demand for the 30 series at lower than 40 series cards keeps the price artificially higher.

There's only one guarantee about pricing when the 40 series drops, it's going to be a gamble.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I was curious as to how much the 3000 series card prices will be once the 4000 series comes out. I looked on ebay and some of them are selling at msrp or near msrp.
How low can it get once the next gen releases? Can I expect to see the 3000 series cards drop significantly below their msrp or are they just going to stay at msrp?

what country are you from, and what 3000 series are you planning to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.