What are the gamers using?

On 24 Apr 2005 21:51:16 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>X-bit labs - Hardware news - Intel's Processors Most Popular Among
>Gamers - Valve Software.
>http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050424151134.html

About 15% use computers with less than 256MB of memory

Poor buggers! Any gamer running today's games should have 1gb of
installed ram.

Codex wrote:

> About 15% use computers with less than 256MB of memory
>
> Poor buggers! Any gamer running today's games should have 1gb of
> installed ram.

Yeah, it was a little surprising finding out that they're trying to
play Half-Life 2 on that amount of RAM.

Yousuf Khan

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:43:39 -0700, YKhan wrote:

> Codex wrote:
>
>> About 15% use computers with less than 256MB of memory
>>
>> Poor buggers! Any gamer running today's games should have 1gb of
>> installed ram.
>
> Yeah, it was a little surprising finding out that they're trying to
> play Half-Life 2 on that amount of RAM.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Then if you consider their harddrive which might only be 5400 speed, you
have a long wait while it loads the maps. Most people can get away with
512MB of ram, its nicer with more memory, I ended up with 768 MB's because
newegg would only sell me one stick of 512 MB PC 3200 when I ordered my
system. The same was the case for my dual system, I could only get one
stick of ram each, next time I will have to order direct from crucial, or
kingston and not have that problem.

Gnu_Raiz

"Gnu_Raiz" <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:43:39 -0700, YKhan wrote:
>
> > Codex wrote:
> >
> >> About 15% use computers with less than 256MB of memory
> >>
> >> Poor buggers! Any gamer running today's games should have 1gb of
> >> installed ram.
> >
> > Yeah, it was a little surprising finding out that they're trying to
> > play Half-Life 2 on that amount of RAM.
> >
> > Yousuf Khan
>
> Then if you consider their harddrive which might only be 5400 speed, you
> have a long wait while it loads the maps. Most people can get away with
> 512MB of ram, its nicer with more memory, I ended up with 768 MB's because
> newegg would only sell me one stick of 512 MB PC 3200 when I ordered my
> system. The same was the case for my dual system, I could only get one
> stick of ram each, next time I will have to order direct from crucial, or
> kingston and not have that problem.
>
> Gnu_Raiz

Why would they only sell you one? And why would you put up with BS like
that?

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:24:24 +0000, dawg wrote:

> "Gnu_Raiz" <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote in message

>> > Yeah, it was a little surprising finding out that they're trying to
>> > play Half-Life 2 on that amount of RAM.
>> >
>> > Yousuf Khan
>>
>> Then if you consider their harddrive which might only be 5400 speed, you
>> have a long wait while it loads the maps. Most people can get away with
>> 512MB of ram, its nicer with more memory, I ended up with 768 MB's because
>> newegg would only sell me one stick of 512 MB PC 3200 when I ordered my
>> system. The same was the case for my dual system, I could only get one
>> stick of ram each, next time I will have to order direct from crucial, or
>> kingston and not have that problem.
>>
>> Gnu_Raiz
>>

> Why would they only sell you one? And why would you put up with BS like
> that?

Well it was all in one order and I decided to keep it simple, by the time
I spent all the time choosing all the stuff, I did not want to waste more
time then I already had. Newegg does that for a lot of items, they get a
lot of system builders who order through them. On high demand orders its
common to see a limit of 1 or 2 per account. At times their prices are
very reasonable about the same as on the crucial, or kingston websites.
I also noticed that a few websites do that as well, take any high demand
item, such as the new dual core cpus, Monarch only will sell you a limited
amount, as well as other items.

Gnu_Raiz

keith

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:23:26 -0500, Gnu_Raiz wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:24:24 +0000, dawg wrote:
>

>> "Gnu_Raiz" <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote in message

>>> Then if you consider their harddrive which might only be 5400 speed, you
>>> have a long wait while it loads the maps. Most people can get away with
>>> 512MB of ram, its nicer with more memory, I ended up with 768 MB's because
>>> newegg would only sell me one stick of 512 MB PC 3200 when I ordered my
>>> system. The same was the case for my dual system, I could only get one
>>> stick of ram each, next time I will have to order direct from crucial, or
>>> kingston and not have that problem.
>>>
>>> Gnu_Raiz
>>>

>> Why would they only sell you one? And why would you put up with BS like
>> that?
>
> Well it was all in one order and I decided to keep it simple, by the time
> I spent all the time choosing all the stuff, I did not want to waste more
> time then I already had. Newegg does that for a lot of items, they get a
> lot of system builders who order through them. On high demand orders its
> common to see a limit of 1 or 2 per account.

One memory stick? I find that very hard to believe in the days of
dual-channel memory. Even so...

> At times their prices are
> very reasonable about the same as on the crucial, or kingston websites.

Which is why I buy memory from Crucial. ;-)

> I also noticed that a few websites do that as well, take any high demand
> item, such as the new dual core cpus, Monarch only will sell you a
> limited amount, as well as other items.

Sure, but *ONE*? Please!

--
Keith

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:30:13 -0400, keith wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:23:26 -0500, Gnu_Raiz wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:24:24 +0000, dawg wrote:
>>

>>> "Gnu_Raiz" <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote in message

>>> Why would they only sell you one? And why would you put up with BS like
>>> that?
>>
>> Well it was all in one order and I decided to keep it simple, by the time
>> I spent all the time choosing all the stuff, I did not want to waste more
>> time then I already had. Newegg does that for a lot of items, they get a
>> lot of system builders who order through them. On high demand orders its
>> common to see a limit of 1 or 2 per account.
>
> One memory stick? I find that very hard to believe in the days of
> dual-channel memory. Even so...
>
>> At times their prices are
>> very reasonable about the same as on the crucial, or kingston websites.
>
> Which is why I buy memory from Crucial. ;-)
>
>> I also noticed that a few websites do that as well, take any high demand
>> item, such as the new dual core cpus, Monarch only will sell you a
>> limited amount, as well as other items.
>
> Sure, but *ONE*? Please!

This was a socket A board and a few years ago, when pc3200 ram just came
out. This board also only supported single channel, I agree today most
places better sell you matched sets.

Gnu_Raiz

im happy with my pc :D although in somegames does lag

amd athlon 3200+
1024mb ram
Ati radeon 9500 pro softmodded to => radeon 9700 pro
and the sound is all motherboard based, good ol nvidia soundstorm :D

Xtreme126 wrote:
> im happy with my pc :D although in somegames does lag
>
> amd athlon 3200+
> 1024mb ram
> Ati radeon 9500 pro softmodded to => radeon 9700 pro
> and the sound is all motherboard based, good ol nvidia soundstorm :D

I was thinking of getting a Soundstorm-equipped motherboard one day, but
I think I really should wait for a 64-bit upgrade rather than fritter it
away on yet another minor upgrade for the existing chip.

Yousuf Khan

there is a probelm with soudns storm, 2 i can i dentify, i have a
decent creative 5.1 speaker set, veryyy gooood set no doubt, but
numebr 1, the center spekaer has no sound :S except in games, when i
listen to music, all the others work, but the center refuses to!
second of all is, the nvidia chip without the heatsink on, tends to
over heat (aparantly) which causes the soudns to crackle. I
experience sounds crackling in my back speakers and a btui in the
fornt speakers, and i felt the chip, and it does get hot.

besides that everything else works fine, dolby digita live work great
with films !
true cinema sound quality :D

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> Xtreme126 wrote:
> > im happy with my pc :D although in somegames does lag
> >
> > amd athlon 3200+
> > 1024mb ram
> > Ati radeon 9500 pro softmodded to => radeon 9700 pro
> > and the sound is all motherboard based, good ol nvidia soundstorm :D
>
> I was thinking of getting a Soundstorm-equipped motherboard one day, but
> I think I really should wait for a 64-bit upgrade rather than fritter it
> away on yet another minor upgrade for the existing chip.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Nvidia quit the sound chip business. No more soundstorm.

Using a finger dipped in purple ink, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> scribed:

>Nvidia quit the sound chip business. No more soundstorm.

SoundStorm was simply a different driver for their chipsets,
which DO still have sound imbedded.

--

The truth is out there,

but it's not interesting enough for most people.

On Tue, 03 May 2005 21:43:06 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
<newskat@katxyzkave.net> wrote:

>Using a finger dipped in purple ink, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> scribed:
>
>>Nvidia quit the sound chip business. No more soundstorm.
>
>SoundStorm was simply a different driver for their chipsets,
>which DO still have sound imbedded.

nForce3 &4 do not have the APU which was in the nForce2 MCPs - they need an
external audio codec.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Never anonymous Bud wrote:
> Using a finger dipped in purple ink, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> scribed:
>

>>Nvidia quit the sound chip business. No more soundstorm.
>

> SoundStorm was simply a different driver for their chipsets,
> which DO still have sound imbedded.

I don't think so, the motherboards have sound from Realtek or others
embedded, but not in the chipset.

Yousuf Khan

On Wed, 04 May 2005 00:04:23 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Tue, 03 May 2005 21:43:06 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
> <newskat@katxyzkave.net> wrote:
>
>>Using a finger dipped in purple ink, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> scribed:
>>
>>>Nvidia quit the sound chip business. No more soundstorm.
>>
>>SoundStorm was simply a different driver for their chipsets,
>>which DO still have sound imbedded.
>
> nForce3 &4 do not have the APU which was in the nForce2 MCPs - they need an
> external audio codec.

I thought the whole deal was about the license's, Nvidia did not want to
pay for it, if they did it would make their chipsets non competitive. I
also thought a little while ago that Nvidia stated that in future chipsets
they might employ the APU.

To me what reeks here is that fact that on one seems to have a cheap high
quality solution that would please all those nf2 users who are upset at
Nvidia. It seems that the real audio professionals have moved on, and got
over it, while the gamers are happy with the creative solution, just look
at how many freaking audigy solutions are offered.

All this nf2 talk to me is a little point less, you would think that
people would be pushing for a pci-e solutions, and 64 bit sound drivers.
Maybe someone needs to make a pci-e card that would please all the pro's
while keeping costs down, then make a good decent 64 bit driver.

Gnu_Raiz

On Wed, 04 May 2005 10:58:29 -0500, Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 04 May 2005 00:04:23 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 03 May 2005 21:43:06 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
>> <newskat@katxyzkave.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Using a finger dipped in purple ink, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> scribed:

>>>SoundStorm was simply a different driver for their chipsets,
>>>which DO still have sound imbedded.
>>
>> nForce3 &4 do not have the APU which was in the nForce2 MCPs - they need an
>> external audio codec.
>
>I thought the whole deal was about the license's, Nvidia did not want to
>pay for it, if they did it would make their chipsets non competitive. I
>also thought a little while ago that Nvidia stated that in future chipsets
>they might employ the APU.

I don't know what was the tail and what was the dog here but the nForce3/4
are both single chip solutions. There's also the fact that getting high
quality audio off a chip mounted on the noisy environment of a mbrd is
problematic - could be it was just a waste of time. I never used a nForce2
audio apart from to a cheap pair of speakers in the office, so I've no idea
how good or bad it was... but there were many situations, such as my
office, which did not need the APU... and would rather not pay for it.

>To me what reeks here is that fact that on one seems to have a cheap high
>quality solution that would please all those nf2 users who are upset at
>Nvidia. It seems that the real audio professionals have moved on, and got
>over it, while the gamers are happy with the creative solution, just look
>at how many freaking audigy solutions are offered.
>
>All this nf2 talk to me is a little point less, you would think that
>people would be pushing for a pci-e solutions, and 64 bit sound drivers.
>Maybe someone needs to make a pci-e card that would please all the pro's
>while keeping costs down, then make a good decent 64 bit driver.

I dunno what "nf2 talk" you mean - there are people raving about its loss?
As for PCI-e the mbrd situation is still kinda messy there - some have 1x
lane connectors, others also have a 4x lane connector, some with only 1x or
2x lanes available on them - coming up with the right card for everybody
could be difficult right now. PCI is obviously not dead yet and won't be
for a while.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

On Tue, 03 May 2005 16:27:29 +0000,
xtreme126@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Xtreme126) wrote:

>there is a probelm with soudns storm, 2 i can i dentify, i have a
>decent creative 5.1 speaker set, veryyy gooood set no doubt, but
>numebr 1, the center spekaer has no sound :S except in games, when i
>listen to music, all the others work, but the center refuses to!

Because the games don't support dolby 5.1.

keith

On Wed, 11 May 2005 10:06:54 -0700, Codex wrote:

> On Tue, 03 May 2005 16:27:29 +0000,
> xtreme126@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Xtreme126) wrote:
>
>>there is a probelm with soudns storm, 2 i can i dentify, i have a
>>decent creative 5.1 speaker set, veryyy gooood set no doubt, but
>>numebr 1, the center spekaer has no sound :S except in games, when i
>>listen to music, all the others work, but the center refuses to!
>
> Because the games don't support dolby 5.1.

I think you're on the right track, but backwards. ;-)

....not that 'x' goud get the hint either way.

--
Keith

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:27:36 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>I think you're on the right track, but backwards. ;-)

You sure I have it backwards? The Soundstorm does Dolby5.1 but the
games don't.

Codex wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:27:36 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>

>>I think you're on the right track, but backwards. ;-)
>

> You sure I have it backwards? The Soundstorm does Dolby5.1 but the
> games don't.

The whole idea of the Soundstorm was to route DirectX audio through
Dolby processor so that it could be played through a home theatre system
instead. All of the separate streams of DirectSound get converted by the
processor into Dolby streams. Remember the Soundstorm is the same audio
processor that came in the original Xbox. Though the Xbox didn't really
get used much by Dolby-home-theatre-equipped teenagers, the potential
was there.

Yousuf Khan

On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:05:54 -0400, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com>
wrote:

>The whole idea of the Soundstorm was to route DirectX audio through
>Dolby processor so that it could be played through a home theatre system
>instead. All of the separate streams of DirectSound get converted by the
>processor into Dolby streams. Remember the Soundstorm is the same audio
>processor that came in the original Xbox. Though the Xbox didn't really
>get used much by Dolby-home-theatre-equipped teenagers, the potential
>was there.
>
> Yousuf Khan

OK, thx for the clarification, so he needed to connect the Soundstorm
to a surround sound reciever to get 5.1 in his games.

Codex wrote:
> OK, thx for the clarification, so he needed to connect the Soundstorm
> to a surround sound reciever to get 5.1 in his games.

Yup.

Yousuf Khan