[SOLVED] What are the hard drive space gone in Windows 10 home?

palmworks

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
I compared two brand new laptops with same amount of ram and same 64gb emmc hard drives running Windows 10 home S mode.
A non touch screen laptop has 59.7gb hard drive space for C: drive besides the recovery partition and boot partition.
A touchscreen laptop has only 56.7gb hard drive space for C: drive.
Where are the 3 gb space gone?
How much space does Windows 10 with file system should have taken?

USAFRet

Titan
I compared two brand new laptops with same amount of ram and same 64gb emmc hard drives running Windows 10 home S mode.
A non touch screen laptop has 59.7gb hard drive space for C: drive besides the recovery partition and boot partition.
Windows installs are never identical.

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

palmworks

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
Any laptop with an emmc ssd are usually inexpensive, with limited storage and meant to be used with cloud applications. https://www.windowscentral.com/emmc-vs-ssd

Windows 10 Home S complements them as they do not allow you to install any applications that are not from the Windows Store to maintain speed and combatibility. https://www.howtogeek.com/354057/what-is-windows-10-in-s-mode/
Yes, it is low end but I have seen $500 laptop with emmc drive too. If you consider $500 laptop with 64gb emmc still low end.

I didn't say low end I said inexpensive, and yes a new laptop costing $500 is certainly inexpensive compared to $1000 laptops. The fact is when using cloud programs, surfing the web and social media, these $300-$400 touch screen laptops will do pretty much what ever you want. In many ways theses laptops were what Windows 8 was all about, they just came too late.

Unless you are comparing new laptops of the same model out of the box the second you unbox them, you can't compare free disk space between just two computers. It's like comparing two cars both with a 200hp engine but one is slower. Well the slower car may be heavier, have more seats, have more equipment, less grippy tires, etc.. Unless you are comparing two identical things, you can't really compare them this way.